Sunday 3 September 2017

A brief visit to Wanlip Meadows, Leicestershire - Augsut 17, 2017

A Spotted Crake had been found on the scrape and was viewable from Plover Hide yesterday and it was still there this morning.  I couldn’t go early due to grandparent duties but did manage to get there for just over an hour late morning.

David, Malcolm and Roger had been able to go earlier this morning and David and Malcolm were still three when I arrived having seen it.  The hide isn’t the best for viewing and just after I got into the upper viewing area Dave Grey announced it was out again.  I couldn’t see the area from where I was stood and it had disappeared when David offered me his viewing area.  It wasn’t long before it came out again briefly and then again for slightly longer but when I left forty-five minutes later it hadn’t reappeared.


There was also an adult Pectoral Sandpiper, which was considered to be the same bird that had been present at Cropston Reservoir last week.  I didn’t see a great deal else but as Dave Grey and I were leaving a Peregrine flew over and flushed everything of the scrape and Dave and I then had the Pectoral Sandpiper in flight with a group of Lapwings over the car park.

No comments:

Post a Comment