Friday 22 September 2017

A day in Leicestershire & Rutland - September 19, 2017

I left home this morning in bright sunny conditions and it turned out to be a very pleasant early autumn day.  I made my way to Eyebrook Reservoir seeing plenty of Red-legged Partridge along the Stockerston Lane as well as a Red Kite just to the left of the road and circa forty Swallow over the road.

It was a quarter-to-eight as I turned onto the southern approach road and I went down the hill and parked near the entrance gate to the Fishing Lodge.  The famer had cleared the field of the oilseed rape crop and left an almighty mess by depositing a significant amount of mud on the road, which when wet would present a risk to other road users.

There were fewer birds in the area and nothing of note and so I moved on to view the hedgerow running northwest from the reservoir.  There were more birds in the hedgerow here with a mixed flock of Blue and Long-tailed Tits and there were a few Blackbirds dropping into the field to feed and small passerines dropping into the field a little further away turned out to be Yellowhammers.  A stop at the coral to view the island produced just two Pintail.  I stopped briefly at Holyoaks Farm entrance where there were plenty of Red-legged Partridge before parking near the northern coral.

I went into the coral to view the Rutland shore and the inlet and found three Ringed Plover, three Dunlin, three Ruff, a Snipe and a Greenshank.  It was difficult observing the wildfowl from here due to the light and so I moved on and checked out the old oak for a Little Owl.  As I stopped and opened a window I heard a Little Owl call and it then called several more times and was clearly in the tree but I just couldn’t find it and moved onto the Rutland side of the reservoir.

I parked overlooking the inlet and found two Buzzards perched in a hedge on the Leicestershire side and there was a Red Kite soaring just right of Holyoaks Wood.  A Little Egret flew over the reservoir and there were a few Swallows and House Martins feeding high over the fields to the northwest.  A sign of autumn movement was a couple of Skylarks and four Meadow Pipits, which I haven’t seen here for some time.

I eventually moved onto the Lyndon Reserve at Rutland Water seeing a Red Kite over Lyndon Road as I approached the reserve entrance.  The feeders were empty and consequently there wasn’t any birds and I moved along the path towards Wader Scrape Hide.  I observed three Tree Sparrows as I approached Deep Water Hide but when I got into Wader Scape Hide there were few birds in Manton Bay.  I then noticed that Lloyd was up a ladder inspecting the Osprey nest and Kayleigh and Dave were in a boat below.  I did find a Ruff feeding near Manton Bridge and a single Little Egret nearby but other than a few Little Grebes and numerous Coot there was little else on the water.  The Water Rail hadn’t appeared during my visit but I did hear it call just before I left the hide.

I called at Tufted Duck hide where there were numerous Cormorants on the bund and small number of birds feeding in the small area in front of the hide, including Gadwall, Teal, Mallard and Little Grebe and a Kingfisher perched briefly on a post before flying off and I could see two Little Egrets in Heron Bay.


Juvenile Cormorant


Teal

Steve had called whilst I was in the hide to see where I was as he and Terry had completed their circuit of the reservoir and were now in the car park.  They had seen a Black-necked Grebe and Black Tern in the North Arm and a few Yellow Wagtails during their circuit but nothing else of note.  I informed them on the Manton Bay situation and he and Terry decided to go down to Teal Hide.  As I walked back to the centre a Red Kite drifted over the reserve and I had seen a couple of Comma, a Speckled Wood and a Common Darter before I reached the centre.


Comma


Comma


Common Darter

I joined Steve and Terry in Teal Hide and whilst with them had at least thirteen Buzzards between Hambleton and Manton Bay and two distant Hobbies and a Raven over Burley and there was a Common Sandpiper near Fieldfare Hide.  As I left the hide a Chiffchaff called and I saw it briefly and at the feeders there was a Tree Sparrow and couple of Greenfinch feeding on the little remaining food.

It was now after twelve and so I went to the Egleton car park and had lunch with Mike Chester.  Just as I had finished Steve texted to say that there was a Little Stint and a Curlew Sandpiper in the North Arm.

Mike and I shot off around to the North Arm as I was keen to see the two birds as the Curlew Sandpiper was a county year-tick and the Little Stint was my first local autumn record.  When we arrived Steve and Terry were on the end of the spit and the Little Stint was feeding to their right with fifteen Ringed Plovers and a Dunlin.  The Curlew Sandpiper had apparently flown off with a party of Dunlin and hadn’t returned.  Steve and Terry then went to Egleton for their lunch, leaving Mike and I still looking for the Curlew Sandpiper.  There was a Great White Egret on the far shore and I found the Black Tern amongst a party of gulls resting on the northern spit and a single Yellow-legged Gull was observed close by.  As I scanned through the wildfowl I found a Pintail and then the Black-necked Grebe.

Having no luck with the Curlew Sandpiper I went to the Egleton Reserve and Mike called it a day.  After a quick word with Steve I went down the service road to Dunlin Hide hoping that the Curlew Sandpiper and Dunlin had dropped onto Lagoon Four.

There were three other birders in Dunlin Hide when I arrived and they advised me that the only Dunlin they had seen were three to the left of the hide.  I checked out the three Dunlin and whilst doing so one of the other birders indicated that there were more Dunlin in flight but I didn’t get on them before they disappeared behind one of the islands.  A few minutes later I picked them up in flight and they flew towards the hide but landed behind island seven.  When they didn’t appear, I decided to go to Sandpiper Hide as I thought they would be on visible from there.

When I opened the flap, they were still there and I counted fourteen birds but when I got the scope on them I was pretty sure that they were all Dunlin.  They then flew again and landed further away behind island six.  Steve and Terry then came into the hide and informed them there was a flock of Dunlin but that I didn’t think the Curlew Sandpiper was with them. Steve then picked them up coming from behind island six and eventually he and Terry agreed they were all Dunlin.  There were ten Pintail on the lagoon and four Little Egrets were dotted around the area.  Other waders on the lagoon included a Ringed Plover, three Ruff and two Greenshanks and there were four Yellow-legged Gulls resting in the usual area.  Terry then said what’s that calling, which he thought might be a Kingfisher and he then picked it up to the left of the hide.  He then departed and shortly afterwards there was considerable disturbance and I picked up a bird of prey gliding along the back of the lagoon.  It looked quite large and I assumed it would probably be one of the Marsh Harriers but when it started active flight it was clearly a falcon.  It looked rather large and long-winged for a Peregrine but it then turned and flew off to the northwest and neither Steve nor I were certain of its identity.  Steve then left and followed shortly afterwards and headed for Lapwing Hide.  Terry was coming back from Lapwing Hide and hadn’t seen very much but I continued but except for a distant Common Sandpiper I got the same result.


Migrant Hawker near Lapwing Hide

As I walked back along the track a Hobby flew over and on entering Buzzard Hide another birder was scoping a perched falcon he though was a Peregrine.  When I got my scope on it I was sure it was a Hobby and after some discussion he agreed.  On scanning the birds on the lagoon, I found three Pintail and a single Pochard.    The two Marsh Harriers were then observed above the reedbed with one eventually flushing the Hobby before I moved to Shoveler Hide.

There were four Green Sandpipers to the left of the hide along with a Greenshank, which was presumably one of the two birds observed on Lagoon Four.  Another birder then pointed out a Garganey on the island that was roosting and then Steve called to say that Norman had called him and that the Curlew Sandpiper was back in the North Arm.

I therefore left Shoveler Hide and headed back to the car seeing a Jay in flight before reaching the car.  I drove around to the unnamed road and saw another Jay as I drove down to the gate.  I found that Norman was still there and scanning the north shore and he advised me that the Curlew Sandpiper had flown there with some Ringed Plover and Dunlin.  I located the party of birds, which were well spread out but could only see Ringed Plover and Dunlin.  Norman then indicated that there some waders along the shore to the right of the spit.  These were much closer and it were easier identify and I soon picked out the Little Stint but the Curlew Sandpiper wasn’t there.  They then flew off and appeared to go quite high but might have gone to Lagoon Four.  When we searched the far shore, those birds had also disappeared and so I called Steve hoping he might be on Lagoon Four but he wasn’t.  He was on lagoon two and informed me that there was a Bar-tailed Godwit around and that the American Wigeon was still there.  As I was talking to him I noticed that there were some waders back on the shore just right of spit and finished the call.  The birds flew as Norman and I started to go through them and we were both thought one of the birds showed a white rump.  Fortunately, they dropped back down again and we found the juvenile Curlew Sandpiper and Little Stint were both there along with nineteen Ringed Plover, six Dunlin and a Ruff.

It had been a good day and nice to finish with a county year-tick and what is at present the only county Curlew Sandpiper of the autumn.

No comments:

Post a Comment