Sunday 3 September 2017

A day in Leicestershire & Rutland - August 29, 2017

When I left home this morning it was fairly calm being bright and sunny but a little cooler than of late.  I headed for Eyebrook Reservoir and saw a Buzzard perched on a roadside telegraph pole as I approached the Stockerston Lane crossroads.

I turned right on the unnamed road to Eyebrook Reservoir but there was no sign of the Little Owl this morning.  I stopped at the bridge where I had a Chiffchaff and heard a Kingfisher call, which I then found perched on an old branch towards the reservoir.  A Marsh Tit then called, which I saw briefly in a bush before it flew across the road and disappeared.


A moved further around the road to view the inlet and found a juvenile Little Ringed Plover on the edge of the stream.  As I scanned through the Lapwings I found a single Dunlin and a Ruff and the two Black-tailed Godwits and two Green Sandpipers were further along the Leicestershire bank.  There were also at least four Snipe along the Leicestershire edge of the water but with nothing else of note a moved on to Rutland Water.

My intention was to walk to Shallow Water Hide on the Lyndon Reserve but on reaching the entrance I found the gate was locked and so I went to the North Arm.

When I reached the unnamed road Steve and Terry was walking down to the spit but after parking I scanned the fishpond shoreline where I found a Ringed Plover, six Dunlin, a Ruff and a single Curlew.  I joined Steve and Terry and they had seen the Wood Sandpiper and a Green Sandpiper in the southern bay.  When I scanned the area, I found the Green Sandpiper but the Wood Sandpiper had disappeared but it did appear later with another Ruff.  Tim then appeared but after brief chat went onto the reserve and Steve and Terry left soon afterwards.  I did call them before they reached their car as I found a Yellow Wagtail on the north shore and eventually had three.  I found the Whimbrel on the north shore and an Osprey flew over as I walked towards the fishponds where there was a good number of Little Grebe.

Disappointed I hadn’t been able to walk to Shallow Water Hide I headed back to Lyndon and saw circa fifty Goldfinch over Church Road and then noticed a Sparrowhawk that was causing the panic.  When I reached Lyndon, the centre was now open and I established that the gates are locked overnight but are usually opened at 06:00 but the volunteer had been delayed this morning.

I checked the feeders where there were at least six Tree Sparrows and another large flock of Goldfinch feeding in the meadow.  As I set off down the path towards Shallow Water Hide I found two adults and two immature Whitethroats, which were presumably a family party.  I didn’t see a great deal else before reaching the hide but a female Kestrel did provide a nice photo opportunity.


Female Kestrel


Female Kestrel

There were a few Swallows as I walked down and I saw five Sand Martin and a single House Martin over the bay.  The water level had risen and the bund had been preached indicating that water had been pumped into the reservoir, which is a little unusual at this time of the year.  There were three Little Egrets scattered around the bay and a Curlew flew over but a single juvenile Shelduck was the only other bird of note I found.

Malcolm had seen four Wheatear and a Whinchat at the airfield today and my intention was go there next but Roger Brett called as I started to walk back to the centre to say there was a Shag on the tern raft in the North Arm.  I informed Steve about the Shag and on reaching the centre I drove back to the unnamed road.

As I walked down the road I could see Steve and Terry had already arrived and were looking into the fishponds with Andy and Roger.  When I approached they indicated that it had flown low into the fishponds but Andy and Roger weren’t sure where it had gone.  I went with Steve and Terry into the field to get a better view of the fishponds but we were unable to relocate the bird but Terry picked up five Red Kites over Burley and I found a sixth.  Andy and Roger had joined us we spent a little longer than Steve and Terry left and we then saw a Jay flying over, but on phoning Malcolm and finding he was at the end of the spit I went to join him.  Andy then picked up a Marsh Harrier over the North Arm as we walked back to the road.

When I got to Malcolm he was looking for the Red-necked Grebe without success but there were now four Curlew with the Whimbrel.  After a while spent looking for the Red-necked Grebe without any sign I gave up and informed Malcolm I was going to Egleton for my lunch and he said he would give it another five minutes and then join me.

As I walked back to the car I noticed a bird fly catching from a dead tree on the left, which turned out to be a Spotted Flycatcher and I then found another before both birds flew off into a large oak.  I informed Malcolm of the sighting and then continued to Egleton.

When I got to the car park Steve and Terry were having their lunch after looking unsuccessfully for the Shag on Lagoon One.  Mike Chester was also there and shortly afterward Malcolm joined us.

After lunch Malcolm and I went to the visitor’s centre to view Lagoon One and found a Great White Egret to the right of the hide.  As we scanned the lagoon the Great White Egret flew towards the long island as a second Great White Egret appeared, which then turned and flew away towards Lax Hill with the original bird dropping onto the long islands.  I then picked up an Osprey flying over Brown’s Islands and two Hobbies performed briefly.

Malcolm and I then went to Shoveler Hide on Lagoon Three and were joined by Steve and Terry.  Steve found a female-type Goldeneye amongst the masses of Tufted Duck and a Common Sandpiper flew low over the water.  Malcolm then cried Bittern flying over the main water and Steve, Terry and I looked out across the lagoon but there was no sign.  Malcolm then indicated that it had dropped into the Lagoon Two area.  We then established by main water he meant South Arm Three and the bird had actually probably come out of the reeds on the south of the lagoon and then flew towards and behind Buzzard Hide onto Lagoon Two.  Needless to say, Malcom got some ribbing over his knowledge of the main water.

It wasn’t long afterwards when he cried Bittern flying but almost immediately gone down near Buzzard Hide.  He, Steve and a Penny, who had recently joined us, decided to go to Buzzard Hide hoping it might be on view.  When we got into the hide it wasn’t in view and we sat talking about where Penny had seen it recently, showing us a superb shot of it just to the left of the hide.  Steve then said there it is as it flew out of the reeds doing a short arc before disappearing again but at least I finally managed to see it.

Pleased with seeing the Bittern we made our way to Lapwing Hide to look for a Black-necked Grebe that had been seen occasionally in South Arm Three.  Terry was already in the hide but hadn’t seen the Black-necked Grebe and after ten minutes without success I looked out onto Lagoon two.  Terry had indicated that there were about a dozen Wigeon on Lagoon Two before he left but I could see about half of these as presumably they had drifted out of sight and with still no sign of the Black-necked Grebe Malcolm and I left for Sandpiper Hide on Lagoon Four.

There was a Great White Egret on Lagoon Four and I suspected that I had seen at least three today around the site.  Steve had seen a juvenile Arctic Tern earlier and Malcolm found a juvenile amongst the roosting Common Terns.  It had a shorter black bill and apparent shorter legs than the other birds and when it flew I saw the white secondaries rather well, confirming it was the juvenile Arctic. We had also found a single Green Sandpiper and a Greenshank when Steve called to say he had what he thought was an American Wigeon on Lagoon Two and so Malcolm and I went to Osprey Hide to try and see it.

As we scanned the wildfowl in front of Osprey Hide we could see a few Gadwall and Wigeon and it wasn’t long before I picked up the eclipse drake American Wigeon.  Once we had found it, it was quite distinctive, showing a greyish head and bright bluish bill and there were signs of the whitish forehead beginning to develop.  I spoke to Steve to let him know we had found it and he then joined us as the bird was closer from Osprey Hide.  Although it was quite distant and the light not brilliant I did manage to get a few shots of the bird.


Eclipse drake American Wigeon


Eclipse drake American Wigeon

Tim and Penny then joined us in the hide and shortly afterwards the bird became a little more elusive disappearing on several occasions behind some vegetation and so Malcolm and I moved on.  I went back to Sandpiper Hide to finish viewing Lagoon Four and Malcolm went into the North Arm to look for the Red-necked Grebe.

There were a couple of Dunlin and Redshank and two Yellow-legged Gulls on the lagoon but as the weather appeared to be closing in I decided to get back to the car.  I got back just before the heavy rain started and after coffee made my way home after what had been an excellent day’s birding.

No comments:

Post a Comment