Sunday 3 September 2017

Flamborough Head, East Yorkshire - August 23, 2017

Being so close to Flamborough Head I couldn’t resist the temptation to carryout and early morning sea-watch, despite the conditions being less than variable.

There was a fresh and gusting south-east wind when I arrived in the car park at 05:30 and I was down at the lighthouse station just before 05:45, where the light was still poor.

As I started to scan the sea there were a few Gannets moving north and eventually counted over 1700 heading north in my two-hour watch.  I hadn’t been in position long when I picked up an Arctic Skua heading south but other than the Gannets, a few Fulmar and Kittiwakes it was quiet.  I did have a flock of circa twenty Common Scoter followed by two more heading north and a single Red-throated Diver also heading north.  After about an hour a few Sandwich Terns stated to move north and I heard a Whimbrel and saw eight Curlew.  I was beginning to think I wouldn’t see anything else of note when an Eider flew north closely followed by a Shag, both of which were year ticks.  I then picked up what I thought might be a Sooty Shearwater but suspected it would just turn out to be yet another Fulmar.  However, when I got the scope on it I confirmed that it was a Sooty and just before I departed a second Arctic Skua flying south.


After breakfast, we spent a couple of hours wandering around Bridlington before setting off home and with the tide low I counted eighteen Redshank and twenty-eight Turnstone in the harbour.  We set off for home at the right time as we headed into some very heavy rain, which apparently caused some local flooding.

No comments:

Post a Comment