Friday 18 August 2017

A lunchtime visit at Rutland Water, Rutland - Augsut 17, 2017

I was at Rutland Water today to ensure that the lecture marquees for Birdfair were operational.  I had checked the sound and light systems in marquees two and three but wasn’t able to do anything else until the laptops arrived and so I visited the northern lagoons.

I heard a Chiffchaff and two Treecreeper as I walked down to Sandpiper Hide on Lagoon Four and found David in the hide when I arrived.  There was a Little Egret, four Ringed Plovers, four Dunlin, a Ruff, a Common Sandpiper, three Yellow-legged Gulls and forty-three Common Terns on the lagoon.  Scanning Burley Wood I picked up a Red Kite but there was nothing else of note and I moved onto Shoveler Hide on Lagoon Three.

David had seen a Black Tern earlier and I soon found it feeding over the lagoon along with ten Common Terns.  There were two immature Shelduck resting on the near island along with six Shoveler and good numbers of Gadwall on the lagoon.  To the right of the hide there were five Little Egrets and a Great White Egret and I saw two Buzzards and two Ospreys between the lagoon and Burley Wood.


I went to the Events Marquee and met Chris and Mike and we then went and loaded the lecture slides for the talks in the marquees and ensured that they and the projectors were functioning correctly.

No comments:

Post a Comment