Wednesday 6 September 2017

A day in Leicestershire & Rutland - September 5, 2017

The weather forecast wasn’t great today with heavy periods of rain expected and it was overcast but dry when I left home and headed for Eyebrook Reservoir.  I didn’t see a great deal on route and it was no surprise when the Little Owls weren’t preforming, although Malcolm had seen one yesterday.

When I arrived, I drove along the Leicestershire side and after parking entered the northern coral to view the Rutland shoreline.  There was a juvenile Ruff feeding along the shoreline and I eventually found three along with a Little Ringed Plover, two Ringed Plovers, three Dunlin and a Greenshank.  As I scanned through the wildfowl it was clear that more Shoveler had arrived and I found a single Pintail, which was my first here this autumn.  There was a Red Kite over the far hill top but with little else in evidence I went to the bridge, where I saw very little and soon moved further around to view the inlet.  I did see one of the Ruff and the Greenshank and there was another Red Kite over the end of the plantation and just before I left for Rutland Water I found a single Black-tailed Godwit feeding along the Rutland Shore.

I went to the Lyndon Reserve and after parking went to view the feeders where there were several Blue and Great Tits making regular visits but nothing else.  I did find a couple of Tree Sparrows and several Goldfinches in the hedge to the left of the centre but then moved down to Teal Hide.  There were plenty of hirundine over the water, mainly Sand Martin and House Martin but also a few Swallow.  The bund across Manton Bay was now fully exposed and clearly the water had dropped since my last visit and the Cormorants were making full use of it and there was also a Yellow-legged Gull on one of the signs across the bund.  I then heard a Kingfisher call and picked it up flying towards the hide, looking as though it was heading straight for it but it veered away at the last second.

With little else I went back towards the centre and found there were more birds at the feeders including fourteen Greenfinch, which is a good number here these days, and at least six Tree Sparrows.  The centre was now open and after a brief chat with Holly I headed for Wader Scrape Hide.  As I reached the first meadow there was a bird perched on top of one of the hay-bales, which looked like a falcon at first glance.  I got the scope on it and realised that it was a juvenile Cuckoo, which was close enough to photograph.  However, I had left the camera in the car as I was expecting rain and so went back to get it hoping it would remain.  As I was coming back there were two guys who had walked along the bottom path, non-birders who were just out for a walk and I wasn’t therefore surprised the Cuckoo had gone.

I continued to Wader Scape Hide seeing just a female Kestrel on route, which wasn’t that surprising as the weather was beginning to take a turn for the worse.  I reached the hide without getting too wet but once inside the heavens opened and there was quite a heavy downpour that lasted about thirty minutes.  There were plenty of hirundines feeding low over the water but other than three Pintail there wasn’t a great deal else and once the rain ceased I started to make my way back.  I saw the female Kestrel again but was surprised when I found the Cuckoo, again perched on a hay-bale but in different meadow.  It was slightly more concealed than earlier but I fired off a few shots before it flew and my attempts of a flight short were a disaster.


Juvenile Cuckoo

When I got back the centre I had seen very little else and went to the North Arm and spent the first few minutes in the shelter as it was raining again.  There weren’t any waders visible on the north shore but I did find a single Yellow-legged Gull and a Yellow Wagtail, which may well be my last of the year.  When it stopped raining I walked out to the spit and found the Whimbrel along with four Curlew feeding in the grass to the south and there were two Greenshanks on the shoreline.  Surprisingly there wasn’t a single hirundine and other than an odd Black-headed Gull very little over the water.  I scanned through the Great Crested Grebes hoping to find the Red-necked Grebe without success and soon moved to the Egleton Reserve.

When I arrived in the car park I had my lunch during which I saw a Chiffchaff near the car park entrance.

I went into the centre to view Lagoon One after lunch and was told there were three Great White Egret on the long island.  I soon found these and then found a fourth at the back of the lagoon, which then joined the other three on the long island.  There was a Hobby over the poplars on Brown’s Island and a second flew over the lagoon towards Brown’s Island.  I then picked up a Green Sandpiper feeding to the right of the viewing area but other then three Little Egrets there was nothing else of note and I moved on to the northern lagoons.

I was speaking to David on the phone as I approached Badger Hide when a Great Spotted Woodpecker flew out of the tree and across the meadow.

Mike Chester had seen a Golden Plover on Lagoon Four and so I went to Dunlin Hide hoping to find it.  I was surprised to find four other birders in the hide as it quite normal to have this one to yourself during the week.  There was a juvenile Ruff feeding at the end of the first island and three Ringed Plovers were visible near Island Seven.  I then saw a Greenshank drop in and found another amongst the roosting Lapwing.  A young lad then said he thought he had a Green Sandpiper to the left of the hide, which proved to be correct, and a second Ruff joined the first.  The Ruff were both juveniles but the size difference confirmed that the second bird was a Reeve.  Two Pintail were observed feeding between the two closest islands and there were three Yellow-legged Gulls amongst the more numerous Black-headed, Lesser Black-backed and Great Black-backed Gulls and single Common Tern was observed over the lagoon.  The other birders then left the hide and shortly afterwards I heard a Golden Plover on at least four occasions but couldn’t find it and on the last occasion it appeared to be some distance away.

There was news of a Black Tern in the North Arm, which I hadn’t seen earlier and so decided to go and have a look for it but called in both Osprey and Grebe Hides on route but didn’t find the American Wigeon.

When I got back to the North Arm it was bright and sunny and there was no sign of the reported Black Tern and after about twenty minutes I headed back to the reserve.

I went back to the northern lagoons but this time went into Shoveler Hide on Lagoon Three where there were five Common Terns along with several Black-headed Gulls feeding above a party of thirty feeding Cormorants, which were clearly creating a feeding opportunity for the gulls and terns.  There was a Hobby and a Kestrel over the wood but with little else I moved to Buzzard Hide where a Grey Heron proved a nice photo opportunity.


Grey Heron

The cloud had increased again and so I thought I would go to Smew Hide and try and locate the American Wigeon.  As I left Buzzard Hide a Water Rail called and on reaching Smew Hide the light was ok and I could scan the wildfowl without any glare.  I didn’t pick the American Wigeon up on the first scan but as I scanned back through the duck I found it, although it was some distance away.

The weather was closing in again and I just made it Sandpiper Hide on Lagoon Four before there was another heavy downpour.  There was a Green Sandpiper directly in front of the hide, which I suspected was the same bird I had seen earlier and I then saw what I thought was a Greenshank fly in and disappear behind some vegetation.  There was a Greenshank further along the area where the other bird had dropped and shortly afterwards it revealed itself and I was able to confirm my original thoughts and they then both flew off together.  I suspect that these two birds are the same as I saw this morning in the North Arm and are commuting between the two areas.  I then found a Common Sandpiper on the far side of the lagoon and a juvenile Osprey was on one of the perches.

As I started to walk back to the centre the weather had improved again and it was bright and sunny.  A Jay flushed from the side of the track and flew into the trees and after moving a short distance I could see it quite clearly and fired off a couple of shots.


Jay


Jay

I decided that I would call at Eyebrook Reservoir on the way home and on stopping near the inlet found a Ruff, two Snipe, three Green Sandpiper and three Greenshank before I left for home.

No comments:

Post a Comment