Monday 12 September 2016

A day in Leicestershire & Rutland - September 10, 2016

The weather forecast wasn’t good for today with rain forecast for most of the day and it was raining as I left home and I was surprised to see a Red Kite as I was dropping down the hill towards Stockerston on my way to Rutland Water.

I had decided to go straight to Rutland Water today as at least there are hides where I could get some shelter from the forecast rain and I was also hoping that there might be a few goods birds.  After arriving in the Egleton car park and getting my wet weather gear on I set off for Dunlin Hide on Lagoon Four.  It was raining steadily as I walked to the hide and continued to do so after I arrived in the hide.  As I glance out of the hide there were very few birds in evidence, including gulls but as I made a scan with the bins I picked up a group of waders feeding along the mud between islands nine and ten.  I got the scope on them and immediately saw Ringed Plovers and Dunlin and then a Curlew Sandpiper and eventually two, which were both immatures.  As I scanned further towards island ten there was a Bar-tailed Godwit and that was two county year-ticks in a matter of minutes and we were off to a good start.  I went back to have a another look at the Curlew Sandpipers but the party of birds had moved and I wasn’t able to relocate them but I did see eight Pintail, eight Ringed Plovers, fifteen Dunlin, two Snipe, two Greenshank and four Yellow-legged Gulls.  The Bar-tailed Godwit remained for quite some time but it also suddenly took to flight and as it did so I heard a Whimbrel and then picked it up flying over the lagoon and watched it comedown behind one of the islands.

I was unable to locate either the Whimbrel or godwit and so moved onto Sandpiper Hide for a different view.  There was a Ruff on the mud in front of the hide but again there was no sign of the Curlew Sandpipers, Whimbrel or godwit.  Another birder then entered the hide and informed me that the godwit had dropped on Lagoon Three briefly before flying off again.


With nothing new appearing on Lagoon Four I made my way towards Shoveler Hide hearing a Cetti’s Warbler and seeing a couple of Chiffchaff and a Reed Warbler near the gate to the hide.  Rather than go into Shoveler Hide I continued on to Lapwing Hide to view the main water.  When I arrived Terry Mitcham was in the hide but hadn’t seen too much as the visibility was poor.  He did pick up a Common Tern as it flew towards the hide and then spent several minutes feeding before it disappeared.  Other than a few Swallows over the water there was little else and as the rain eased Terry left and it wasn’t long afterwards that I followed.

When I arrived in Shoveler Hide there were two Great White Egrets to the left of the hide and the third appeared briefly from behind the reed island but soon went back behind the island.  There were also five Green Sandpipers to the left of the hide and on scanning the duck I found two Red-crested Pochards, an eclipse male and a female.  Brian had called a little earlier to inform me that there was a Bar-tailed Godwit on Lagoon One, which was presumably the bird I had seen earlier on Lagoon Four.  Brian, Roger and Rosie then joined me in the hide and informed me they had seen a Spotted Flycatcher and a Blackcap near Dunlin Hide.  As we were talking I noticed a Water Rail walking across the mud to the reed island and as I got the others on it, it started running and disappeared into the reeds.  A Sparrowhawk then flew over and we then found another female Red-crested Pochard and a Pintail.

It was now approaching lunch time and I left Brian, Roger and Rosie in the hide and returned to the car park for lunch after which I went to the North Arm.  It was still raining and the visibility wasn’t good but I was able to watch from the new shelter and at least keep out of the rain.  As I scanned the far shore I found four Pintail, a single Ringed Plover, three Knot, nine Dunlin, four Ruff, a Black-tailed Godwit, a Curlew and a Yellow-legged Gull.  I moved to the end of the spit but didn’t find anything else but as I was leaving I saw that there were good numbers of hirundines between the fishponds and Burley House but most were too distant to identify although there were certainly Sand Martins and Swallows present.

I went into the centre to view Lagoon One where I saw the female-type Marsh Harrier, which came quite close to the centre before flying off and disappearing near Harrier Hide.  Two Snipe were observed flying over and presumably the same Common Tern I had seen from Lapwing Hide earlier was perched on a post.

I did contemplate going back to Lagoon Four but with the weather showing no sign of improvement I decided to call it a day.  I went back via Eyebrook Reservoir and as the rain was easing I stopped to overlook the inlet, seeing a Red Kite as I parked.  Richard was present and he informed me that he had seen a rather nice male Whinchat.  We spent some time scanning the area but couldn't locate the male but we did have a female/juvenile.  The only wader I saw was a single Snipe but there were also five Little Egrets around the inlet.  There was a small movement of hirundines but like Rutland Water most were Sand Martin and Swallow with Swallows being the most numerous but I did see a single House Martin.  A Sparrowhawk then flew right in front of us and disappeared into one of the trees in the field and I scanned the exposed area of mud I found a Yellow Wagtail amongst a party of Pied Wagtails.

With the rain becoming heavier I finally called it a day and headed off home.  As I passed through Blaston there was a large concentration of hirundines feeding over a wooded area but this time they were mainly House Martins, although there were also a few Swallows.  As I reached home the rain was had at last stopped and I noticed two birds circling over the fields.  A look through the bins and I was able to see that it was a Carrion Crow mobbing a Sparrowhawk.  Not a bad day considering the weather with seventy-two species recorded, two of which were county year-ticks.

No comments:

Post a Comment