Friday 16 September 2016

A day in Leicestershire & Rutland - September 13, 2016

There had been a Pectoral Sandpiper on Lagoon Four at Rutland Water yesterday and so I headed for Rutland Water this morning.  I parked in the Egleton car park and made my way to the Dunlin Hide on Lagoon Four hoping that it was still present.  When I arrived there didn’t appear to be many waders visible and all I could see were a few Ringed Plovers.  Stephen then joined me in the hide as he had seen several Ringed Plovers and Dunlin from Sandpiper Hide and was hoping to get a better few of them from Dunlin Hide.  We soon relocated the small party of birds feeding on the end of island seven but his identification was correct and there were just Ringed Plover and Dunlin.  As we continued to scan I found a couple of Little Ringed Plovers and there were four Yellow-legged Gulls amongst the more numerous Black-headed Gulls and a Herring Gull.  I then picked up a flock of waders, which contained more birds than we had been seeing and when they climbed high I thought they were off.  I continued to watch them and they suddenly came back and dropped low over the lagoon and were joined by even more birds before alighting on island one, which is the most distant.  I could see that most were Ringed Plovers but there were also a few Dunlin in the flock and I counted thirty-seven Ringed Plovers and at least seven Dunlin.  As I scanned again I picked up a bird preening amongst the rocks, which I was pretty saw it was the Pectoral Sandpiper.  I got Stephen on the bird and as we watched it, it came out of the rocks and started feeding on the shore and although distant we could see a clear pectoral band a stripes running down the back and we were happy that it was the Pectoral Sandpiper.



Herring Gull on Lagoon Four


Herring Gull on Lagoon Four

There were eight Pintail and five Little Egrets also on the lagoon but with the waders becoming scattered around the lagoon I moved on to Shoveler Hide on Lagoon Three.

A Great Spotted Woodpecker flew into the dead trees alongside the path and I then found a Chiffchaff in the bushes surrounding the trees.

From Shoveler Hide there were a couple of Green Sandpipers to the left of the hide and I saw a Water Rail as is strolled between two of the islands but I didn’t bother going through the wildfowl as the light was pretty poor.

I came out of the hide and went towards Lapwing Hide but stopped to view the area just beyond Smew Hide where I had views of a couple of Reed Warblers and another Chiffchaff.  I went into Smew Hide to view Lagoon Two where I counted twenty-three Pochards and there was a Hobby near the Sand Martin construction but there was little else and so I made my way back to the car park.


Wren from Smew Hide


Migrant Hawker from Smew Hide

I had spoken to Terry earlier and he was walking around the Hambleton Peninsular and had seen a Goldeneye on the far side of the Old Hall and so I went to see if I could find it.

After parking at the bottom of the lane leading to the Old Hall I walked as far as the entrance to Armley Wood in order to view the large flock of Tufted Duck.  However other than a Little Egret at the edge of the wood all I found were Tufted Ducks but a lot of them.  With no sign of the Goldeneye I made my way back towards the Old Hall and then continued on to view South Arm Three.  There were no large concentrations of birds today but with little wind it was quite easy to see birds on the flat water and on my fist scan I found the female Goldeneye.

I made a brief stop at the fisherman’s car park to look for the Red-necked Grebe but there was no sign but I did see a couple of Red Kites and three Buzzards over Burley.

After parking in the unnamed road I went down to the spit and viewed the north shore.  There were five Pintail in the first bay and four Ruff and five Greenshanks were feeding on the shoreline.  As I scanned further along the shore there were several Curlews and two Black-tailed Godwits and as I counted the Curlew I noticed that one looked quite small, particularly when it got alongside one of the seven Curlews, and was clearly a Whimbrel.

There were two other birders in the North Arm and in chatting with them they were particularly interested in seeing the Red-necked Grebe and knowing that Terry had walked around the peninsula there was a good chance he might have seen it, so I gave him a call.  He didn’t answer but appeared a few minutes later and confirmed that he had seen it between the tower and the fisherman’s car park.  We spent a little more time scanning the north shore before moving into the field and walking to the far side to get a better view of the area and in the shelter of some trees.

I soon found an adult Black-necked Grebe that was still in summer plumage and then Terry found a second bird, which was either a winter adult or a first-winter bird.  We were joined by the other two birders and after getting them on the Black-necked Grebes, Terry found what he thought might be the Red-necked Grebe.  It was very distant but was clearly the Red-necked Grebe but a fishing boat got rather close and it dived and we couldn’t find it again and so the other two birders decided to walk towards the fisherman’s car park hoping to pick it up again.


Kestrel over the North Arm

Terry and I made our way back to the cars for lunch and shortly afterwards Roger arrived to hopefully see the Whimbrel.  He had made a visit to see the Pectoral Sandpiper, which he had seen very well, and had come around hoping to get the Whimbrel before collecting his grandchildren from school.  Terry and I left for Egleton before he returned but he did manage to find the bird before he left.

After parking and applying some sun cream Terry and I went to the centre to view Lagoon One.  One of the Great White Egrets was resting on the island at the back of the lagoon and two Little Egrets were feeding on the lagoon.  There were two Snipe on the long island but otherwise it was pretty quiet and so we moved onto Dunlin Hide on Lagoon Four.

Just after leaving the centre we bumped into Mike, who had seen a Knot on Lagoon Four but not the Pectoral Sandpiper.  We continued to Dunlin Hide but sadly the Pectoral Sandpiper still hadn’t been seen.  As we scanned the area there appeared to be far fewer waders than this morning and after a short while Terry went to Sandpiper Hide to get a different view.  Mike then joined me in the hide but shortly afterwards Terry called to say he was in Shoveler Hide on Lagoon Three and might have a Bar-tailed Godwit.

I left Mike in Dunlin Hide and headed for Shoveler Hide hoping to see a Bar-tailed Godwit that would probably be the bird seen in the North Arm by Tim this morning.  However when I entered the hide Terry was apologising as he could now see the bird better and thought it was a Black-tailed Godwit, which it was.  There were now five Green Sandpipers on the lagoon and three Red-crested Pochards on the water and a Red Kite was observed to the north.


Juvenile Black-tailed Godwit

Mike then came in the hide to inform us that the Pectoral Sandpiper had been re-found when some waders flew around.  It had however gone behind an island and couldn’t been seen from Dunlin Hide.  I wasn’t surprised that it was still there and Terry and I then went to Plover Hide on Lagoon Four to view the other side of the islands.  Terry picked up the Pectoral Sandpiper almost straight away as it was feeding along the shore of one of the islands.  It was quite a bit closer than this morning and provided some nice views.  As I was watching the sandpiper Terry noticed a Greenshank with two other waders feeding along the shore of the near island.  I swung my attention to the group of waders and realised that the other two birds were juvenile Spotted Redshanks.  They continued walking around the island and provided some great photo opportunities.  I called Tim to make him aware of the find and he informed me that he was about to cut the vegetation on the islands but would now postpone that activity and then joined us in the hide.


Spotted Redshank and Greenshank


Spotted Redshank and Greenshank


Spotted Redshank


Spotted Redshank


Spotted Redshank


Spotted Redshank


Spotted Redshank


Spotted Redshank


No comments:

Post a Comment