Friday 2 September 2016

A day in Leicestershire & Rutland - August 30, 2016

I was a little later getting into the field today as it was my youngest granddaughter’s first day at school and I was required to take some photos and I arrived at Eyebrook Reservoir just after 09:00.

I stopped briefly at the inlet where I observed a Chiffchaff and heard a second.

Moving around the Rutland bank I stopped to view the inlet, where there were two of the Eyebrook Reservoir regular birders.  There were a couple of Little Egrets in the stream but other than Lapwings there were no other wades visible.  I picked out two Pintail amongst the numerous wildfowl that also included Wigeon, Gadwall; Teal and Mallard.  Das then picked up a Whinchat perched on top of grasses but a walk to view and area of set-aside failed to produce anything other than a few Linnets.


I eventually left for Rutland Water and headed to the end of the Hambleton Peninsula hoping to locate the illusive Red-necked Grebe.  As I was getting the gear out of the car Steve called to say he and Terry had found three Shags at the dam.  I wasn’t in the best place to get the dam quickly but might be able to see them from the end of the peninsula.  Steve said they would keep an eye on the birds and hopefully be able to get me onto them.  As I reached a suitable position on the peninsula I could Steve and Terry but despite their best efforts I was unable to see the birds through the scope, although frustratingly I could see several Black-headed Gulls they we using as markers and even picked out a single Tufted Duck.  Having no luck with the Shag I continued my search for the Red-necked Grebe, seeing two Yellow-legged Gulls but there was no sign of the grebe and so I returned to the car and headed for the dam.

After parking at Sykes Lane I made my way to the dam to look for the Shag.  I walked along the dam to where Steve and Terry were but there was no sign.  It was difficult to see further along the dam due to the bright sunlight and I had no alternative but make my way further across the dam.  I could see a possible bird bathing near the pumping station at the southern end of the dam and was able to confirm its identity when I had almost walked the whole length of the dam.  I then found the other two resting on the rocks surrounding the pumping area.


Shag drying its wings


Three Shag on the dam

There were at least five reported later in the day and possibly there may have been as many as six.  Perhaps I had found three different individuals to those seen by Steve and Terry but I hadn’t been able to find any others despite walking the length of the dam.  Having been successful in finding the Shags I made my way back to the car and drove to the Egleton Reserve for lunch.

From the Bird Watching Centre viewing gallery I found two of the Great White Egrets along with six Little Egrets but with little else I set off for the northern lagoons.

As I went through the gate at the end of the summer trail I met Mike and after a brief chat I went into Sandpiper Hide, with him, to view Lagoon Four.  There was a single Shelduck, two Pintail, four Ringed Plovers and a Common Sandpiper on the lagoon but Mike eventually called it a day and I headed towards Plover Hide in search of a Wheatear he had seen earlier.

As I walked down the path towards the sluice, several reserve vehicles went past and on reaching the sluice there was no sign of the Wheatear.  I went into Plover Hide on Lagoon Four but saw very little and so I returned to look for the Wheatear but there was still no sign and so I went to Shoveler Hide on Lagoon Three.

There was a Black-tailed Godwit and two Green Sandpipers close to the hide but before I looked any further Steve called to say that there was a male Redstart near Badger Hide.  As it was a patch-tick I decided I would leave Shoveler Hide and head back towards the centre hoping to see the Redstart.

I arrived at the open gate that Steve said the bird was near but there was no sign and so I went further along the path and looked back into the area.  I saw the bird almost immediately as it flew from the gate area into a bush and but it quickly returned to where it had come from.  I moved back to the open gate but again there was no sign and presumably it was sitting out of sight in one of the bushes.  Steve then called again to say there was a Whinchat on Lagoon One, which was another patch tick and so I went to the centre, seeing an Osprey on route.

Steve was still watching the Whinchat and I soon found the bird perched on a fence post beyond Mallard Hide.  There were now three Great White Egrets on view on the lagoon and Terry announced that the Marsh Harrier was flying again, which turned out to be the female that has been present for some time.

I hadn’t been in the North Arm today and decided I would go and have a look as the light would now be pretty good.  I walked out to the point and found a Little Ringed Plover on the next area of exposed mud.  As I scanned the north shore I found five Little Egrets, two Ruff, five Curlew and four Greenshanks.  There was a Yellow-legged Gull on the water and along the south shore there were three more Little Egrets, three Ruff and a couple of Green Sandpiper.

After exploring the North Arm I went back to the Egleton car park and after a coffee and bite I went to see if I could find the Redstart again.  There was no sign when I arrived but whilst I was looking a Sparrowhawk flew over and shortly afterwards the Redstart dropped to the ground but almost immediately flew back into the hedge.  It then flew across the field into another bush and whilst searching for it I found a couple of Blackcaps.  The Redstart hadn’t reappeared after another ten minutes and so I went back to Shoveler Hide on Lagoon Three.

Steve joined me just after I entered the hide but the only waders were a couple of Green Sandpipers and three Greenshanks.  A Hobby then flew over and second was observed over the woodland beyond the reedbed.  Steve then left to go to the dam to checkout a report of 6+ Shag and shortly after he had gone I found a Snipe and as I watched a Reed Warbler fly over the water into the reeds, three other birds followed it.  They were Yellow Wagtails and they soon flew back to the shore to feed, only to be followed by at least another seven.

My final port of call was Dunlin Hide on Lagoon Four were there were plenty of gulls assembling at their pre-roost.  However they are not easy to work through in bright sunlight but I did find six Yellow-legged Gulls.  There was also an immature Peregrine on one of the islands, which could well be the female that was present last winter.  Two Green Sandpipers were observed to the right of the hide and just before I departed two Ringed Plovers and a Dunlin alighted on one of the nearer exposed areas.

I walked back along the service road and saw a Green Woodpecker and a Chiffchaff before reaching the car.

No comments:

Post a Comment