Friday 2 September 2016

A day in Leicestershire & Rutland - August 23, 2016

I headed straight to the Lyndon Reserve at Rutland Water this morning as there had been a couple of Curlew Sandpipers present in Manton Bay on Sunday evening and I was hoping they would still be there.  Other than a Red Kite just after passing through Tur Langton I had seen very little before I pulled up in the Lyndon car park.


The centre wasn’t open when I arrived and so I set off towards Shallow Water Hide.  There was a Whitethroat in the hedge near the centre and on reaching the main path I found three Chiffchaff and two more Whitethroats but saw very little else before seeing two Lesser Whitethroats as I approached the hide.


Whitethroat


Black-headed Gull over the Lyndon Meadows

When I reached the hide there were several photographers in the hide but no sign of any Ospreys, although one returned just a few minutes later.  There was a juvenile Ruff feeding just in front of the hide but a Ringed Plover and a Green Sandpiper to the left proved more difficult due to the vegetation.  There were nine Little Egrets and eighteen Little Grebes in the bay and circa fifty Common Terns were resting on the now exposed bund.


Juvenile Lapwing


Juvenile Ruff


Juvenile Ruff

I left the hide and started to make my way back to the centre when Steve called to say he and Terry had just had a couple of Whimbrel that were heading towards Manton Bay.  They had been calling but I hadn’t heard them and so went into Wader Scrape Hide to see if they had come down but there was no sign and two others in the hide hadn’t seen or heard them and they had probably just gone on.  I spent a little while in the hide and had several views of a Reed Warbler but there was little else.


Ruddy Darter near turning to Wader Scrape Hide

I met Steve and Terry just as I reached he centre who informed me that they had seen a Red-necked Grebe in the North Arm and that the Long-tailed Duck was on the bank to the right of Teal Hide.

I continued on to Teal Hide seeing another Whitethroat near the feeders and a Tree Sparrow in the hedge.  The Long-tailed Duck was asleep when I first arrived but did raise its head briefly and I was able to get a shot.


Male Long-tailed Duck

As I scanned the main water there was quite a few Common Terns but I hadn’t located either of the two Black Terns or Arctic Tern seen by Steve and Terry when another birder entered the hide.  He asked where the Long-tailed Duck was and so I informed but as I glanced towards the bank it wasn’t visible and on scanning the water I found it had come off the bank and was now on the water.  It then swam right in front of the hide, providing excellent views as it did so, before coming to rest on the water to the right of the hide.


Long-tailed Duck


Long-tailed Duck


Long-tailed Duck


Female Tufted Duck with two young


Great Crested Grebe

As I continued to scan the main water I eventually located one of the two Black Terns but still couldn’t find the Arctic Tern and eventually decided to go to the North Arm to look for the Red-necked Grebe.

As I arrived at the unnamed road another birder was leaving and said that he had been looking for the grebe without success and when I got to the gate Ken Chamberlain had also been looking but hadn’t found it.  Ken finished his coffee and then walked with me to the western edge of the field as the sun was still making it quite difficult to see into the North Arm.  There were three Ruff, three Green Sandpiper and two Greenshank in the bay but we could only find a single Common Tern on a buoy and there was no sign of the grebe.

When we reached the spit several other birders were looking, including, Steve and Terry, but they hadn’t found the grebe either.  There was a Red Kite and a couple of Buzzard over Burley Wood and another five Ruff were on the north shore but there was little else and I headed back to the car.  I checked the north shore of the fishponds and found the Whimbrel and four Curlews reported earlier where still there.

If the Red-necked Grebe was the same bird that had been present last winter it was often seen from the fisherman’s car park along the Hambleton Road and so I thought it would be worth a look.  The vegetation had grown quite a bit making viewing a little restricted but by viewing from the road and the shore I was pretty certain that the grebe wasn’t there and headed off to Egleton.

I joined Steve in the centre at Egleton where there were twelve Little Egrets and two Great White Egrets on one of the distant islands.  A female-type Marsh Harrier with several flight feathers missing on the left wing was observed as it flew over Brown’s Island and a Curlew dropped in.

We then went to Shoveler Hide on Lagoon Three seeing very little on route but finding a good selection of waders close to the hide.  There were seven Ruff, two Snipe, four Black-tailed Godwits, a Curlew, nine Green Sandpipers, five Greenshank and a Wood Sandpiper.  Steve began scanning the wildfowl and he found five eclipse males and a single female Red-crested Pochard and then a couple of Garganey.  He then noticed a second Curlew along with a Whimbrel to the left of the hide and shortly afterwards we saw the female-type Marsh Harrier again.  There were three Little Egrets feeding amongst the waders and a Yellow-legged Gull flew over heading for South Arm Three.


Juvenile Black-tailed Godwit


Juvenile Black-tailed Godwit


Juvenile Black-tailed Godwits


Whimbrel


Whimbrel


Whimbrel


Curlew


Greenshank


Ruff and Wood Sandpiper


Wood Sandpiper

Tim had joined us in the hide and after a brief chat I moved on to Dunlin Hide on Lagoon Four.  I found a couple of Little Ringed Plovers, nine Ringed Plovers, five Dunlin, two Common Sandpiper and a Green Sandpiper scattered around the lagoon and there were fourteen Yellow-legged Gulls amongst the resting gulls, that included several Common and Lesser Black-backed as well as the more numerous Black-headed and Great Black-backed Gulls.

No comments:

Post a Comment