Friday 2 September 2016

A day in Leicestershire & Rutland - August 16, 2016

As I am volunteering at Birdfair this weekend and possibly won’t get out birding until next Tuesday I planned to have a longer day in the field today and was at Eyebrook Reservoir by 06:15 and was planning to stay out later at Rutland Water.

When I arrived at the southern end of the reservoir I had seen nothing of note on route and stopped by the gate leading to the fishing lodge.  The farmer had been very busy since my last visit as most of the crops had been gathered and the fields were now just stubble. It was pretty quiet bird wise but I did find six Tree Sparrows along the hedgerow but with little else I moved on, stopping at the first bend to view the reservoir.  There were a few birds on the water but nothing unusual and the hedge running away from the reservoir contained just a few Goldfinches but it was nice to see a Song Thrush feeding in the stubble.


I stopped again to view the track leading to Holyoaks Farm but other than a few released Pheasants there was nothing.  There were even more Pheasants on the road as I continued but given another six weeks most will have been shot and judging by the way the were reacting to the car it wouldn't be much of a challenge.  I reached another gateway and a few birds got up from the path and so I stopped to take a closer look.  Sadly a willow is now making viewing a little difficult but I did manage to see a Willow Warbler, Whitethroat, a Tree Sparrow several Yellowhammers and a Reed Bunting.

On reaching the turning for the bridge I continued to check for Little Owls in the old oak but there was no sign, although there were two Red Kites perched in a tree along the stream.  I stopped at the bridge but there was very little and so I moved around to view the inlet.

There had been three or four Ruff present before I arrived but they had just flown with some Lapwing and I couldn't locate them but I did find a Dunlin, three Snipe and a Green Sandpiper.  I moved further along the road to look back into another bay hoping that the Ruff had dropped back in there but there was no sign although I did find a Little Ringed Plover only to see it a few minutes later flying high to the south.  There also appeared to be fewer Common Terns today and I only saw four.

It was the WeBS count today and so I headed for the Old Hall to count South Arm Three.  As usual I walked towards the Old Hall to check out the small bay where I found three Little Egrets but little else.  As I walked back and then onto view the main area it appeared pretty quiet with just a good flock of Mute Swan and smaller numbers of Mallard and Tufted Duck  and a Common Sandpiper flew from the shore as I walked out to the point.  As I walked further and could see the whole of the arm and saw that most birds were concentrated between Lapwing Hide and the other end of the cycle track.  They were mostly Tufted Duck and I counted over 1200 but there was also fair numbers of Great Crested Grebe and Coot amongst them and also smaller numbers of Gadwall and Mallard.

Once I had completed the count I headed to Egleton to count Lagoon One but as I entered the car park I saw Tim who asked if I would count North Arm One and the Fishponds and then count Lagoon One.

I drove back to the unnamed road and went straight to view the North Arm and found that there weren’t large numbers of birds present.  There were more Mute Swan and plenty of Greylag and Canada Geese and also good numbers of Great Crested Grebe.  I counted thirteen Little Egrets scattered around the arm but other than a Green Sandpiper and a couple of Common Terns there wasn’t too much else.

I drove back down the road and went into the field to get a better view of the fishponds and found good numbers of both Tufted Duck and Great Crested Grebe.  Five Little Egrets were roosting in the trees and there were fifteen Little Grebes, which was significantly more than I had been seeing recently.  Dickinson’s Bay is also part of the North Arm One and so I drove around to Barnsdale to complete the north arm count.  I walked down the road and through the gate to view Dickinson’s Bay but is was fairly quiet but as I scanned the far shore I found three Red-crested Pochards, two males and a female.

With the north arm complete I returned to the Egleton and went to the centre to count Lagoon One.  I was surprised to find that there were few birds close to the centre with most of the wildfowl being out of sight in the north-east corner.  As the viewing conditions were also poor I decided to go to Harrier Hide.

I hadn’t seen anything of note on route to Harrier Hide and opening the flaps found that there were several Little Egrets and a Great White Egret rooting on one of the islands.  The wildfowl mainly consisted of Gadwall, Mallard and Tufted Duck but there were also a few Teal and Shoveler.  A juvenile Osprey was sat on one of the fence posts and the egrets had now began feeding with thirteen Little Egrets now visible and there were also two Green Sandpipers and as I continued to scan a Greenshank and Redshank appeared.

I wasn’t totally satisfied that I had seen everything on Lagoon One but thought I would visit the southern lagoons and then call at Snipe Hide before calling at Mallard Hide to complete the count.

I only went into Pintail Hide on Lagoon Six and initially thought there was just a few Moorhen but then noticed a Great White Egret preening on the shore but almost completely hidden by the long grasses.  There was nothing of note on Lagoon Five and all I found on the Wet Meadow were two Black-tailed Godwits.

As I walked back towards Mallard Hide I bumped into Bob, who I hadn’t seen for a while and we stood chattering for a few minutes before I continued on to Mallard Hide.  He informed me that he had seen two Great White Egrets and two Ruff on Lagoon One and I was hoping these would be visible from Mallard Hide.  I soon located the two Great White Egrets and also found the two Ruff close to where I had seen the Greenshank and the Redshank.

Tim had called to say that a male Long-tailed Duck had been found in front of the Lyndon Centre and was intending to go there before having my lunch as it was a most unusual record and also a year-tick.  I called Steve as Tim has he had indicated that he hadn’t been able to let him know.  Steve answered his phone and he and Terry were on their way to Normanton and were quite close to Lyndon and on making him aware of the Long-tailed Duck they went straight to Lyndon.

When I arrived at Lyndon I went straight into the centre but there was no sign of either the Long-tailed Duck or Steve and Terry.  The volunteer on duty informed me that the duck had disappeared and the Steve and Terry had gone off towards Deep Water Hide.  I started to walk in that direction but was surprised that they would go that way and on calling them found they were actually in Teal Hide and so I went back into the centre.  I was intending to join them but another birder who had seen the duck wanted to show me where he had seen it.  As I was looking at where he said he had seen it a duck there was nothing but then I noticed a duck coming away from the near shore, which turned out to be the summer plumaged male Long-tailed Duck.  I called Steve and then went outside to see if it was visible from the right of the centre, which it was.  Steve and Terry then arrived and we were able to watch the bird making its way to the shore and then getting out onto the rocks.  Ken then arrived as we were watching the bird preening and Steve noticed it raise it wings twice and indicated that was lacking most of the its flight feathers and was obviously flightless.  It clearly hadn’t just arrived and must have been here at least a few days prior to it being found.

I eventually returned to the car park for my lunch after also seeing a Common Sandpiper and a Marsh Tit on the feeders.  Steve and Terry then continued onto Normanton whilst Ken went to Egleton, who I followed shortly afterwards.

I joined Ken in the centre and it wasn’t long afterwards when Terry joined us and almost immediately picked up a juvenile Marsh Harrier.  Ken then set off for the northern lagoons and I followed him shortly afterwards after entering my counts on the master sheets for Steve.

I joined Ken in Shoveler Hide where there was a good selection of waders with two Ruff, six Snipe, a Black-tailed Godwit, two Curlew, fourteen Green Sandpipers and five Greenshanks being seen.  During the count Steve and Terry had seen a Garganey, two Pintail and a three drake Red-crested Pochard.  I soon found three Red-crested Pochard but noticed that one was a female but then found a forth bird, which was a male.  After several scans there was no sign of the Garganey or Pintail and I returned my attention to the waders.  As I went through the Green Sandpipers that were resting alongside the reed island I found a Water Rail and shortly afterwards found the Garganey.  The facial pattern was not particularly strong on the Garganey and Ken was not initially convinced but after discussion he agreed that my identification was correct.  He left shortly afterwards and it wasn’t long afterwards I also made my way back to the car park.


Juvenile Black-tailed Godwit


Ruff


Ruff


Green Sandpiper

On reaching the car park I found Steve having a coffee and after I had a drink and a bite to eat we made our way back to Shoveler Hide where I was hoping to find the Pintail.

We both scanned the water several times but there was still no sign of the Pintail and we found nothing else.  Steve then noticed the Garganey resting on the near island and then noticed a second bird next to it.  The original bird then stood up revealing it underside and we were able to see that it was an immature and when it flew shortly afterwards that it was a female.  After it had disappeared the second bird stood and raised it wings, which confirmed it as an adult male in eclipse.

With still no sign of the Pintail we left for Dunlin Hide on Lagoon Four to view the gulls.  On arrival in the hide Steve concentrated on the gulls but I scanned the area towards the right and almost immediately found the two Pintail feeding just beyond the first spit.  A few minutes later Steve asked where they were but they had disappeared and we couldn’t find them on the lagoon and presumably they had flown back onto Lagoon Three.  Steve pointed out a couple of Ringed Plovers and whilst looking through the gulls we heard a Turnstone calling.  Steve then picked up two birds and I picked them up just before they disappeared behind an island.  There were plenty of Black-headed, Lesser Black-backed and Great Black-backed Gulls with a few Common and Yellow-legged Gulls but we weren't able t see anything unusual.  The Turnstone then started to call again and I saw what I thought was them drop onto island one, which Steve confirmed but then they flew again and we didn’t see or hear then again.  Whilst we were scanning for the Turnstone I picked up a party of fourteen Snipe flying around and six of them were then located on island one.  Steve then picked up three waders approaching from the west, which just flew straight over and continued heading east and never looked as though they were going to drop in but we able to identify them as Golden Plover.

The sun was no making it difficult to view the gulls as it was bleaching out he colours and so we called it a day.  It had been an excellent day’s birding with ninety-one species recorded with one, the Long-tailed Duck, being a year-tick and a most unseasonal bird.

No comments:

Post a Comment