Thursday 14 June 2018

An afternoon at Wanlip Meadows, Leicestershire - June 1, 2018


There were reports of a Red-necked Phalarope on the flash at Wanlip Meadows,, which was a site I wasn’t sure about but suspect that it what is known as the scrape visible from Plover Hide.  As I had a couple of jobs to do I decided I would wait for further reports when the actual site would become clear.  It wasn’t too long before a message came through on WhatsApp indicating that it was showing well and probably best seen from Plover Hide, although was being seen from the Wanlip side of the scrape.

I called Roger to make him aware and then set off and arrived at around 16:30, when several birders were just leaving and one, Trevor, said I would need a step ladder.  There was now only one birder present ad I was able to see what Trevor meant as it was difficult seeing over the reeds.  Norman then arrived and went to see if he could see better from further along the path but came back saying he couldn’t see it.  I could see the bird, which was a nice summer female, but it kept disappearing and so I walked a little further and found there was a much better viewing area.  I informed Norman and the other birder and we then had some nice views over the next hour.  It flew on a couple of occasions, but returned to the same area to feed and was still there when a left at around 17:50.

Whilst I was on site two Little Egrets flew over and a Common Tern visited the scrape briefly and I also heard a Green Woodpecker, Common Chiffchaff and a Blackcap.

No comments:

Post a Comment