Sunday 17 June 2018

A day in Leicestershire & Rutland - June 12, 2018


After packing away the moth trap and some breakfast I set off for Rutland Water where I was helping with the summer WeBS count.  I didn’t see anything of note on route and arrived at the Old Hall at Hambleton just after 08:00 to begin the count in South Arm Three.

There were three Barn Swallows and circa twenty Common House Martins feeding over a small copse and the water and a Blackcap was heard as I walked towards the Old Hall.  There were ten Egyptian Geese and a few Mallard in and around the small bay, but it appeared rather quiet.  I then walked towards the Egleton Reserve to view the large section of South Arm Three.  There were three Common Terns over the water but other than a few Mute Swan, Mallard, Tufted Duck and Great Crested Grebe it was very quiet, although I did hear a single Lesser Whitethroat.

With the count in South Arm Three complete in probably no more than thirty minutes I went back to the car and drove to the Egleton car park to count Lagoon One.  There was a Blackcap singing in the car park and after a chat with Stephen I went up to the viewing area to count Lagoon One.  There were more birds here that included Canada Goose, Greylag Goose, Mute Swan, Northern Shoveler, Gadwall, Mallard, Tufted Duck, Great Crested Grebe, Common Moorhen and Eurasian Coot.  There were also a couple of Eurasian Oystercatcher and three Common Tern but there was no sign of the pair of Garganey that I had seen on Saturday, although they were seen briefly later.

In order to complete the count, I needed to go to Harrier Hide to view the area not totally visible from the centre.  As I walked through the woodland area I heard a Common Chiffchaff and saw a single Blackcap and heard another two and as I approached Snipe Hide there was a Lesser Whitethroat singing but it remained elusive.

I went into the hide to view the back of the island on Lagoon One, but the vegetation made it impossible to view and wasn’t I able to add to my Lagoon One count.  There were three Pied Avocet on the near flash but very little else and surprisingly no sign of any Common Shelduck.

I left Snipe Hide and headed for Harrier Hide hearing a Willow Warbler and seeing my first Red Admiral of the year before reaching the hide.  There were a few Mallard and a single Gadwall in front of the hide, two Tufted Duck in the small area of water to the left and a Little Egret on one of the islands.

With the count complete I headed for Tern Hide on Lagoon Six hearing a Willow Warbler and a Garden Warbler before reaching the hide.  There were two Common Shelduck and four Eurasian Oystercatcher on the lagoon and there was a distant Common Buzzard soaring to the south.  I could see a pair of Mute Swan who were attending a group of cygnets, but I couldn’t be sure how many and moved onto to Pintail Hide hoping I might be able to see them.  When I reached the hide, there was no sign as they were obviously close to the shore and behind the vegetation but after a few minutes they swam out and seven cygnets followed them.

As I approached the 360 Hide on Lagoon Five it started to rain but I got into the hide before the worst of the shower.  There were three more Eurasian Oystercatcher and two Little Egrets on the lagoon.  A single Egyptian Goose was in the far right corner and a single Common Shelduck and two Little Grebe were observed towards Shelduck Hide and a Red Kite drifted over before I left the hide.

As I left the hide I viewed Lagoon Eight and found two more Eurasian Oystercatcher but very little else and started to make my way back towards the centre.  I went into the centre to hand in my count figures and then headed back to the car park for lunch.  I stopped at the end of the path just before the car park where I was hoping to catch up with the Spotted Flycatchers.  There was a Blackcap singing and after a few minutes one of the Spotted Flycatchers appeared and was immediately joined by the other.

Whilst having lunch and chatting to Terry I saw a Western Osprey over Lagoon One and a Red Kite over the field to the south and we heard a Green Woodpecker call.

As Steve and Terry had seen, the probably escape, Bufflehead from Smew Hide I headed for there after my lunch, hearing a Common Chiffchaff, a Blackcap, two Garden warbler, a Sedge Warbler and a Eurasian Reed Warbler before reaching the hide.

I spent quite some time in the hide but only found a single Common Pochard and Common Tern, with no sign of the Bufflehead and so I moved to Shoveler Hide on Lagoon Three.  There were six Common Terns and a single Mute Swan with a brood of five on the lagoon and interestingly two of the cygnets were almost white and may possibly turn out to be Polish Mute Swans.

I moved on to Sandpiper Hide on Lagoon Four where I found nine Eurasian Oystercatcher and five young, ten Common Ringed Plover, a Dunlin and a Common Redshank.  Steve had mentioned earlier that the Pied Avocet was no longer sitting on island eight and with two birds now feeding on the lagoon their nesting attempt had sadly failed.  As I continued to scan I found an adult Yellow-legged Gull amongst a roosting party of Great Black-backed Gulls.  A single Little Ringed Plover was displaying towards the Volunteer’s Training Centre and I counted twenty-four Common Terns around the lagoon and saw two Red Kites over Burley Wood.  I then received a WhatsApp message indicating that the Garganey were on Lagoon One.  It was from Steve and so I gave him a call and found out that he had picked the male up in flight and when it landed they also found the female.  He also said that he had seen the Bufflehead earlier from the centre on one of the rafts on Lagoon Two, but it had flown and disappeared out of sight.  He and Terry could see me in Smew Hide and assumed that I was watching it but obviously I wasn’t.

I therefore decided to go back to Smew Hide for another go and found the Bufflehead preening but too far away to photograph.  I watched it for some time and had forgotten how small they were seeing it alongside some Tufted Duck.  An erroneous WhatsApp message then arrived and after reading it I couldn’t find the Bufflehead again.  Two Ruddy Turnstone had been reported on Lagoon Four, which I hadn’t seen from Sandpiper Hide and so decided to go to Plover Hide,

As I walked down the path towards Plover Hide I picked up a Eurasian Hobby hawking high above the path and lagoon and to my surprise the Common Nightingale began to sing but as usual remained elusive.  There was no sign of the Ruddy Turnstone from the hide but both Pied Avocet were now quite close to the hide and there were two Little Ringed Plovers.

As I walked back I heard two more Garden Warblers and a Common Chiffchaff and a Blackcap provided a nice photo opportunity.


Male Blackcap

I went back into the centre to see if the Garganey were still there but there was no sign and apparently disappeared soon after being seen.

I decided to call at Eyebrook Reservoir on route home and was rewarded with a Dunlin and a Green Sandpiper, which was a county year-tick, taking me onto 168.  There were also sixteen Common Terns around the rafts and over the water, along with eight Common Swift.  Two Western Osprey drifted over, two Red Kites were observed, one over the plantation and the other over the water and a Common Buzzard was soaring way to the south.

It was now probably the best part of the day, but I had get off and added a Common Kestrel just after passing Burton Overy taking the total for the day onto seventy-six.

No comments:

Post a Comment