Wednesday 10 September 2014

A morning at Rutland Water - September 7, 2014

I was back at Rutland Water today to help with the WeBS (Wildfowl Count).  As we gathered at the cottage a Great Spotted Woodpecker provided a nice view.  I was given the responsibility of counting the new lagoons and lagoon one on the Egleton Reserve.

There was a Chiffchaff singing in the car park area and it was bright, if a little cool, as I set off for lagoon seven.  As I approached the entrance to the 360° hide on lagoon six there was a Whitethroat on the corner and several other passerines flew out of the hedge and into the wood and disappeared.  Lagoon seven which is not accessible to the general public held were quite a few Teal but very little else.  I then visited both Shelduck and the 360° hide on lagoon five and again there was very little except for three Little Egrets, although a pair of Little Grebes with two tiny young was a surprise.  I scanned lagoon eight from the footpath and couldn't find a single bird and there was very little on lagoon six as well.  On reaching harrier hide there were quite a few Teal and three Ruff but there was no sign of yesterday’s warblers or the reported Stonechat.

I moved onto the wet meadow and other than another Little Egret and a few Teal and Shoveler, it was quiet.  When I got back into the centre the light was awful for counting, although I did see four Green Sandpipers.  I decided I would go back to the car for a coffee before going to Mallard hide where hopefully the light would be better.  The strategy paid off and Erik and I, who had joined me, were able to complete the count and although there was a good selection of wildfowl the only bird of note was a single Garganey.

Having finished the count I handed in my figures and went to lagoon three where a Red-crested Pochard had been reported.  There was a Ruff, Snipe and a Greenshank to the left and I found three Pintail and Erik found a Water Rail.  Chris Park after counting lagoon three earlier but had struggled due to the light returned to recount the Gadwall as he felt they had been undercounted.  He soon found the female Red-crested Pochard, which was not easy, due purely to the number of wildfowl present.


I walked back to the car park with Erik and saw a Buzzard soaring just to the north whilst I was preparing to leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment