Friday 5 September 2014

A day in Leicestershire & Rutland - September 2, 2014

I went to Eyebrook Reservoir first this morning but saw very little either getting there or at the reservoir.  There was a single Barnacle Goose and four Shelduck near the inlet but other than Lapwing I couldn’t locate any waders but there were three distant Red Kites.

I had arranged to meet Roger in the Egleton car park at Rutland Water at 08:00 and we would then drive to the dam to hopefully see the Red-necked Grebe.  Roger had arrived a few minutes before me and I transferred my gear to his car and he drove to the dam.  Apparently due to a request by the police the entrance to the south side of the dam has now been closed off to the general public but there is a style just a short walk from the pumping station.  As we scanned the water Roger found the grebe towards the Sykes Lane end and other than a Yellow-legged Gull there was nothing else and we went to the north arm.

There were several fishing boats in the north arm and some of the birds had been pushed towards the fishponds and I found the moulting Black-necked Grebe just off shore.  There was a Common Sandpiper feeding on the north shore and five Dunlin flew from the point as we approached.  There were two Little Egrets and I counted forty-nine Egyptian Geese around the causeway and thirty-three Little Grebes.

We eventually moved back to the Egleton Reserve and found a Wood Sandpiper on lagoon one in pretty awful light and so moved off to lagoon four, seeing a nice Lesser Whitethroat on route.  An Osprey, 51, was resting on one of the perches and we found a single Ringed Plover, a Ruff, two Black-tailed Godwits, two Common Sandpiper and two Greenshanks.  There was a single Pintail and at least five Yellow-legged Gulls and a Sparrowhawk flew over causing some disturbance.

Although the water has fallen on lagoon three there is still very little exposed mud, although there were a couple of Green Sandpipers feeding towards Bittern Hide. There were masses of ducks on the lagoon, mainly Gadwall and Tufted Duck but there were also more Wigeon and Shoveler today and several Pochard as well as seven Pintail.  There were two nice juvenile Sedge Warblers feeding just in front of the hide and there was also a single Reed Warbler and a Water Rail in the reeds to the right but we only managed fleeting glimpses.  Nigel who had joined Roger and I in sandpiper hide on lagoon four then shouted Bittern as it flew across the lagoon and disappeared in the small southern reedbed.  Roger had to leave early today and he wanted to check out lagoon one before doing so. I walked back to the car park with him and we had some lunch before returning to the centre to view the lagoon.  There were ten Curlew on the long island and we saw the Wood Sandpiper again as well as a Little Ringed Plover, four Ringed Plovers, three Dunlin, eight Ruff, four Snipe and a couple of Green Sandpiper.  Roger eventually had to leave and I was joined in the centre shortly afterwards by Pat.  A Hobby then flew over and there were three Garganey not too far away.






Sedge Warbler

Pat and I eventually left the centre and went back to lagoon three but we saw very little and I went to Dunlin hide on lagoon four with Pat leaving for home.

Pat and I eventually left the centre and went back to lagoon three but we saw very little and I went to Dunlin hide on lagoon four with Pat leaving for home.


Gadwall over lagoon three


Shoveler over lagoon three

Nigel was in Dunlin Hide when I arrived only to inform me he had been watching a juvenile Little Gull for about forty minutes but the gulls had flushed a few minutes before I arrived and I was unable to find it, although an adult was seen after I had gone.  There were two Dunlin and most of the waders I had seen earlier were still present so I decided to go back to the north arm where a Black Tern had been reported.



Second-year Yellow-legged Gull over lagoon four

I walked towards the end of the spit and found the Black Tern almost immediately and two Redshanks feeding in the southern corner where my last additions of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment