Wednesday 24 September 2014

A day in Leicestershire & Rutland - September 23, 2014

I drove to the southern end of Eyebrook Reservoir first today where the light was superb.  There were a few common passerines and several Red-legged Partridge but nothing of real note.  There were fifty Cormorants resting and preening on the islands but other than a few Teal and Mallard and a single Grey Heron there was nothing else.  At the inlet, the only waders I could find were Lapwing and a couple of Snipe and I could only find seven Pintail today.  Again there was some common passerine activity with several Meadow Pipits being the best.  The cloud rolled in whilst I was here and shortly afterwards I saw a single Red Kite and a Kestrel.


I decided to visit the north arm at Rutland Water and saw circa fifteen Swallow as I drove through Egleton.  There were lots of wildfowl and Coots in the north arm but I could only find a single Pintail, although many distant birds were roosting and they could have been more.  There were at least twenty-six Little Grebes spread out amongst the wildfowl and a single Greenshank was observed in flight.  There was a single Red Kite briefly over Burley Wood and while watching this I saw four Skylarks heading west.


Tufted Duck over the north arm


Coot in the north arm


Great Black-backed Gull in the north arm

On arrival at Egleton I spoke to Bob who I had not seen for several weeks and he said he might have had a juvenile Scaup on lagoon four.  I therefore headed off to sandpiper hide on lagoon four and found the possible Scaup straight away.  It looked possible and so I took a photo but it then drifted off and eventually went to sleep.  Whilst it was roosting there appeared to be a short tuft and it was then joined by two other Athya ducks that looked quite similar and eventually came to the conclusion that they were immature Tufted Ducks.  There were two Pintail close to the Tufted Duck and a third was found close to island four and a Ruff and Greenshank were quite mobile around the lagoon.  Bob then returned and we briefly discussed the presumed immature Tufted Duck before he re-found two Ringed Plovers, a Dunlin and a second Ruff that he had seen earlier.


Presumed juvenile Tufted Duck

Bob and I started to scan Burley Wood and were joined by Mike and Brian.  We found several Buzzards, a Red Kite, a couple of Sparrowhawks, two Hobbies, a Kestrel and a Raven and Bob had seen a Peregrine earlier.

We all eventually called it a day and I went back to the car park for lunch.  After lunch I went into the centre but other than a single Pintail and three Little Egrets there was little.  I noticed a couple of Hobby feeding quite close to Redshank hide on lagoon two and decided to go and hope they were still there.  On arrival there was no sign but there was one over Brown’s Island at the back of lagoon one.  I moved onto grebe hide on lagoon two where there were a couple of Pintail and a Greenshank and the Hobby was still visible over Brown’s Island.  A second Hobby then appeared much closer but flew behind the hide and disappeared.

I continued on to shoveler hide on lagoon three but there was very little close to the hide as there had been a working party there this morning.  However they had now finished and birds were slowly returned, although two Green Sandpipers flew off towards lagoon two.  As I was setting my scope up to view the wildfowl at the back of the lagoon I heard a Grey Plover call.  I sat down to look out of the flaps not really expecting to find it and it called again and as I scanned the sky I found not one but seven flying over the lagoon to the west.  They continued over towards lagoon four and I called Steve to see where he was as I thought they might come down on lagoon four.  He was at the bottom of the ramp leading to sandpiper hide and had heard them but couldn’t see them.  At this time I could still see them but they had gone beyond lagoon four and were still heading west and not looking as if they would come down.  This was certainly the most I had seen in the counties but fell well short of the record of twenty-one here in 1982.  I then picked up a Marsh Harrier low over the reedbed, which was immediately mobbed by two Hobbies and dropped back into the reeds.  I did notice the green wing-tags and it was therefore the juvenile from Norfolk, which had now been present since at least the 8th.  Presumably the two Hobbies were the same I had seen several times throughout the day and were just very active feeding on the abundance of dragonflies.  A Snipe also dropped in and two Green Sandpipers returned.  A Little Egret then provided some entertainment when it caught a rather large perch, which looked too big for it to swallow.  However after quite some time it did manage to succeed and the fish could be seen stuck in its neck.  The bugle soon disappeared and after a several sips of water in carried on feeding.




Little Egret with Perch


Little Egret showing neck bulge after swallowing the Perch




Juvenile Hobby over lagoon three

Steve then joined me in the hide and just after he heard a Water Rail I found it just to the right of the hide in the base of the reeds.

Steve and I then went to Lapwing hide where he found three Goldeneye, which were my first of the autumn.

There was then a message regarding a Stonechat in front of Mallard hide on lagoon one and so I decided to go and have look before I went home.  On arrival there was no sign and it didn’t appear in the thirty minutes I spent in the hide but I did find six Pintail on the lagoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment