Wednesday 10 September 2014

A day in Leicestershire & Rutland - September 9, 2014

I was back at Rutland Water this morning and headed for grebe hide on lagoon two but there was no sign of yesterday’s Wryneck.  There was a single Chiffchaff feeding in an alder just in front of the hide, two Pintail were visible on the lagoon, a Green Sandpiper was observed in flight and a Kingfisher perched briefly on one of the goal posts.

I walked to lagoon three with Terry as far as shoveler hide but I continued to buzzard where I hoped the light world be better.  There were plenty of ducks on the water but all I could pick out was a single Pintail.  I continued on to smew hide on lagoon two where I could see seven Pintail but little else and so I continued on to crake hide.  The water level was still quite high but there was a single Common Sandpiper on lagoon three bund.


When I got back to shoveler hide it was empty and the light pretty poor in terms of viewing the wildfowl.  There was a Ruff feeding quite close to the hide and two Greenshanks roosting towards bittern hide.  I also found a couple of Snipe and two Green Sandpipers and a Hobby caused some disturbance as it appeared from the direction of lagoon four.  A Water Rail appeared right in front of the hide, which I managed to get a few shorts off, although it wasn’t easy due to the reeds.


Juvenile female Ruff


Juvenile female Ruff


Water Rail


Water Rail

I moved on to plover hide on lagoon four, seeing three Buzzards soaring to the north, but there appeared to be very little on the lagoon but I called at sandpiper hide to get another perspective.  As from plover hide there appeared to be very little of note on the lagoon, although there was a single Greenshank and I did see a Peregrine and another Buzzard between the lagoon and Burley Wood.  I did eventually go to the car park for lunch and to meet Ken after his dental appointment.

Ken arrived whilst I was having my lunch and after visiting the centre where we saw three Green Sandpipers and several Ruff we went to snipe hide.  A Hobby put in a brief appearance as we made our way around to the hide but dropped out of sight and didn’t reappear.

Like much of the habitat on the reserve the flash from snipe hide looks superb for waders but there was only single Snipe.  A Kingfisher paid a brief visit flying over and around the flash before hovering over it and plunging into it and then heading off towards lagoon one.  A Hobby, presumably the one we saw a little earlier, appeared and provided some nice if brief views and two Curlew flew in a and landed on lagoon one.  With little else we continued on to fieldfare hide and although the water level was such to expose some mud there was very little in the bay.

We called at harrier hide on the way back to the centre where there were seven Ruff and a Green Sandpiper and a juvenile Marsh Harrier was seen quartering the edges of the lagoon.


Juvenile Marsh Harrier

We had heard of a Black-tailed Godwit in front of mallard hide on lagoon one and so called in to see if it was still there.  There were four Ruff visible from the hide but there was no sign of the godwit and so Ken decided he would go to grebe hide on lagoon two in the hope that the Wryneck might appear.  No sooner had he departed that  the Hobby reappeared and provided some excellent views as it hunted over the meadow.  I then saw a Ruff flying in and as I followed it, it landed right next to a Black-tailed Godwit and there was a second close by.  I can only assume that they were feeding close to the sedges and were out of sight for a while.  I scanned through the duck but there was no sign of any Garganey, although I did find seven Pintail.





Hobby

There was a report of two drake Red-crested Pochard on lagoon three this morning and so I decided to go back to take another look.  The light was much better that this morning and perhaps perfect for viewing the masses of duck.  As I scanned through the birds I found a female Red-crested Pochard and then the two males not too far away.  They were like females but their bright red bills gave them away and in the late afternoon shone like beacons making them very obvious.  There were two Ruff, two Green Sandpiper and Greenshank present and after some disturbance by a Sparrowhawk they were all quite close to the hide, providing nice views.


Little Egret on lagoon three


Female Teal alighting on lagoon three


Pintail over lagoon three


Greenshank on lagoon three


Male and female juvenile Ruff on lagoon three


Juvenile male Ruff


Juvenile Ruff over lagoon three

Whilst I was in the hide I received a text regarding a Sanderling, Little Stint and Curlew Sandpiper all at Eyebrook Reservoir and decided that I would call on my home.

On reaching Eyebrook Reservoir I soon found the Sanderling and Little Stint feeding with a couple of Dunlin but there was no sign of the Curlew Sandpiper.  There was another birder in the corral on the Leicestershire bank and so I drove around to join him.  He had seen the Curlew Sandpiper feeding along the Rutland Bank amongst the Lapwing.  It wouldn’t have been visible from the Rutland Bank but it quite difficult to locate as it fed amongst the Lapwing and was often out of sight.

Still clearing up on all three within thirty minutes was a good end to what had been a cracking autumn day with almost wall to wall sunshine, very little wind and pleasantly warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment