Wednesday 10 September 2014

A day in Leicestershire & Rutland - September 6, 2014

I saw a single Red Kite perched in a tree just of east of Blaston as I travelled to Eyebrook Reservoir.  There were two Shelduck, a couple of Pintail and a Little Egret at the inlet at Eyebrook Reservoir but there was no sign of any waders on the exposed mud.


Red Kite at Eyebrook Reservoir

I continued on to the Lyndon Reserve at Rutland Water and found ten Tree Sparrows on the feeders.  As I walked towards shallow water hide the mist thickened but I did see four Chiffchaffs, a couple of Whitethroat and a Treecreeper.  There was a Blackcap and a Lesser Whitethroat along the path to the hide but the mist was now quite a dense fog.  When I opened the flap in the hide I could see the water but not very much of it and I certainly couldn’t see the Osprey nests or perches.  There was a single Snipe feeding on the shore and I eventually managed to find four Pintail and a couple of Yellow Wagtails dropped in briefly.  The fog eventually began to cleat a little and I could make out the outline of the Osprey nest but no Osprey.  It was a while longer before I could see the two perches and the two Ospreys, one on each perch.  It is surprising that these two are staying as late as they didn’t breed but they have been clearly holding territory.  Two Common Sandpipers dropped in just before I left and made my way back to the centre.

On arrival back at the centre there were still quite a few birds at the feeders and a Willow Tit came in, making two visits to the feeders before disappearing.

As I drove to the Egleton Reserve I called Erik to see if he was around but he was still at home but said he would be arriving soon.  When I arrived in the car park Rick was having his lunch and as both Ken and Erik were due to arrive I decided to have an early lunch.

Erik arrived and he, Rick and myself went to the centre to view lagoon one.  A Kingfisher had apparently made several visits and it wasn’t too long before it was seen perched on one of the posts only for a second to flash across the lagoon.  Two Water Rails made an appearance and provided some nice views.  Ken had arrived and saw both the Water Rails and a Kingfisher.  Wader wise there was a Snipe, eight Ruff and three Green Sandpipers and a Garganey was also observed.
Erik, Ken and I then set off to sandpiper hide on lagoon four were we eventually found two Ringed Plovers, two Dunlin, a Curlew and a single Greenshank flew in and Erik picked up a Wheatear on the island eight sign.

A visit to shoveler hide on lagoon three produced well over a thousand wildfowl, mainly Gadwall and Tufted Duck but there was also a few Wigeon, Teal, Shoveler and Pochard and three Pintail.  We then had a juvenile Hobby flying over the reedbed and woodland and was seen to land in one of the trees providing nice scope views.  An adult Hobby was also observed and a third Water Rail, a Green Sandpiper and a Sedge Warbler were observed quite close to the hide.


Green Sandpiper


Migrant Hawker

We decided to go to Dunlin hide on lagoon four to see if there were any unusual but other than a few Yellow-legged Gulls there was nothing else.  A Peregrine flew over spooking most birds and almost came into the hide as it flew in front of us before heading off towards lagoon three.  Osprey 51 was still present and flew around a couple of times with his catch.


Osprey 51

Erik and I called at grebe hide on lagoon two and saw our fifth Green Sandpiper of the afternoon but other than a Little Egret it was rather quiet.

Back in the centre the first bird I saw was a Wood Sandpiper just in front of the hide that was presumably the one that has been present for a while now and there was also a couple of Black-tailed Godwits.

Another birder informed us that he had seen a Stonechat from harrier hide but we couldn't make anything out from the centre.  Erik had to go but I walked around to harrier hide in the hope of finding the reported Stonechat. On reaching the hide there was a Curlew present and a Blackcap, Lesser Whitethroat and Sedge Warbler performed well in the bushes to the right of the hide but there was no sign of any Stonechat.  I went into both snipe hide on the wet meadow and mallard hide on lagoon one to get a different view of the area but failed to find any chat and eventually called it a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment