Sunday 29 June 2014

A brief visit to Thornton Reservoir, Leicestershire - June 27, 2014

An exceptional record of a Long-tailed Duck was reported yesterday and was still there this morning.  It was the first ever reported Long-tailed Duck in June for Leicestershire & Rutland and I decided to go and take a look.

When I arrived the heavens opened and I could see very little from the car, except for five fishing boats.  The heavy rain was affecting the visibility but as it began to clear I noticed a few Tufted Ducks on the far side of the dam.  I drove to the small parking area at the southeast corner of the reservoir and closer to the birds.  It was still raining but had eased considerably and I was able to use the telescope whist sheltering under my umbrella.  It didn’t take too long to find the Long-tailed Duck in amongst the Tufted Ducks and I had reasonable views until the rain became heavier again and the bird began to dive.  I considered the bird to be a female, although the head pattern wasn’t perfect for a summer adult as it had a Garganey-like white blaze above the eye that fell away beyond the eye.  With the weather showing no signs of improvement I called it a day and headed home.


Dave had called me earlier today as he found and caught a Large Emerald moth near one of his outside lights.  It looked very butterfly-like as it rested with the wings wide open and I was able to get a nice photo of it.


Large Emerald

No comments:

Post a Comment