Wednesday 8 April 2015

Early visit to Great Glen, Leicestershire - April 6, 2015

I went to Great Glen and walked the footpath that goes by the sewage works.  It was quite foggy on arrival and it was quite slow to clear but I did hear one of the target birds, a Nuthatch, as I walked along the road to the footpath.  I walked as far as I normally do stopping briefly at the sewage works but there was no sign of a Grey Wagtail in the poor light, although there were a couple of Pied Wagtails.  I heard four Chiffchaffs as I walked the footpath and there was a nice selection of commoner birds, including a Green Woodpecker.  When I arrived back at the sewage works there was still no sign of a Grey Wagtail, although the visibility was now much better.  I spent about twenty minutes overlooking the filter beds, seeing the two Pied Wagtails, two Chaffinch and two Reed Buntings.  As I was scanning I heard what I thought was a Kingfisher call and as I looked down towards the stream, saw it perched in a bush but unfortunately it flew off almost immediately.  With still no sign of a Grey Wagtail and walked back to the road and decided I would use another footpath to view the filter beds from a different angle.  Grey Herons have taking to nesting on the island on the small lake and I could see one but the light made it impossible to see anymore and so I continued.  When I reached the sewage works one of the first birds I saw was a Treecreeper and on scanning the filter beds I saw a single Pied Wagtail and a couple of Chaffinch.  As was about to give up on the Grey Wagtail but decided on a further scan and on then suddenly one appeared on the edge of the nearest bed.  As I walked back to the car I heard at least one Nuthatch on several occasions but failed to see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment