Wednesday 8 April 2015

A day in Leicestershire & Rutland - April 7, 2015

I was out pretty early today and headed for Eyebrook Reservoir seeing a Buzzard alongside Harborough Hill Road as I dropped down the hill towards the reservoir.  There was no sign of either of the Little Owls along the minor road to the reservoir and so I continued and parked overlooking the inlet.  The exposed mud was pretty much devoid of birds with just a few Lapwings being the only waders.  As I was scanning the area a Barn Owl appeared on the Leicestershire side as it hunted over the grassed edges of the reservoir before crossing the stream and perching on a fence post.  After moving fence posts looking for prey it flew a little closer and I was able to get a reasonable shot of it.  I had pointed out the owl to a dog walker and as we watched it return to the Leicestershire bank and head south along the shore he picked up a second bird flying down the road towards us.  This bird tended to work the Rutland bank south of us and like the other it to flew south and disappeared.  A Little Egret flew in from the east and landed in the stream and a Green Woodpecker flew over the reservoir from the Rutland side to Leicestershire side.  The only other bird of note was a very pale Buzzard observed perched on top of a hedge on the Leicestershire side.


Barn Owl


Barn Owl

I eventually decided to move on and whilst heading towards the Stoke Dry car park presumably the second Barn Owl came out of a row of trees running from the road to the reservoir.  It flew a short distance along the eastern shore before turning and flying back into the trees.  I checked out the feeders but there was very little, just a few Blue and Great Tits, a Blackbird, a Robin, a few Chaffinch and two Goldfinch.

I headed off across country to Normanton at Rutland Water seeing nothing of note on route.  After parking in a farm gate I noticed a sign saying “Important Parking Information Please Read” and so I thought I had better take a look.  There was a header sheet and then two A4 sheets underneath that were full of text.  It was damp and typical legal jargon, which was kind of difficult to interpret quickly.  However it seemed to be that the Rutland Council were implementing their rights to take action against anyone parked within a certain distance from Edith Weston.  Although I was off the road I didn’t want to take the risk in getting a ticket for just a quick visit and decided to move on.

I called at the old Luffenham Airfield to see if there were any migrants but other than a few Meadow Pipits there was nothing of note.

I dropped down to the Lyndon Centre and walked the short distance to Teal hide to view the south arm.  Erik had seen a Common Scoter from here yesterday afternoon but there was no sign this morning.  The water was almost like a mill pond making it fairly easy to pick up birds and it wasn’t too long before I had the Great Northern Diver, which was just loafing on the surface between the hide and the Old Hall.  I could see an Osprey on the Manton Bay and it was great news to hear that both the male and female are now back and appear to be taking up residency.  The only other birds of interest were a couple of Shelduck in south arm two and two Oystercatcher feeding at the base of Lax Hill.  Whilst I was in the hide I heard a Blackcap singing and so I went outside to look for it.  It sang several more times before it went quiet and unfortunately I didn’t see it.  As I walked back I saw what I assumed would be a Marsh Tit in the bush next to the feeders but as it sat eating a sunflower seed I could see that it was in fact a Willow Tit.  Having finished the seed it flew back to the feeders, took another and flew off out of sight.  Marsh Tits are more regular at the feeders and this was only my second sighting this year.  There were also five Tree Sparrows in the hedge behind the feeding station.

I drove to the Old Hall next to hopefully see the Slavonian Grebe but after walking around to the vantage point I was unable to find it, although I did see a female Scaup and had further views of the Great Northern Diver, which was still loafing on the surface.  As I neared my car Terry called to say he had seen the Red-necked Grebe from Whitwell and that it was in front of Armley Wood.  After a brief discussion about exactly where it was and also that he hadn’t been able to find the Slavonian Grebe, I drove to end of the peninsula.  Armley Wood is situated on the southern shore of the north arm and is a good mile walk from where I had parked.  I set off along the track and had seen very little until I reached the wood where I then saw two Chiffchaffs in quick succession, one just outside and the other a few meters inside.  I continued to walk through the wood scanning the water through the trees as I did so and after walking almost right the way through the wood still hadn’t found the grebe and all I had seen were a few Tufted Duck and a couple of Great Crested Grebes.  As I started walking back I was thinking I might not see it as I picked up one of the Great Crested Grebe again and realised there was another bird close by, which turned out to be the Red-necked Grebe, success and worth the walk.


Red-necked Grebe

As I walked back through the wood I had nice views of a Marsh Tit and a Treecreeper but had seen very little else by the time I got back to the car.

I checked out the north arm from the end of the cottage road but other than a couple of Shelduck saw little else and headed for the Egleton Reserve.

Once on the reserve I went to the centre to find that contractors were removing most of the timber from the now dead ash tree near the centre and there was a working party out on the island on the lagoons and so there was very little in evidence on the lagoon.  I therefore decided to take an early lunch before heading off to the southern lagoons and whilst having lunch a Buzzard passed over the car park.  Once I had finished my lunch I set off to Snipe hide on the Wet Meadow seeing or hearing at least six Chiffchaffs on route.  When I arrived in the hide there were far fewer Shelduck than of late, with only four being present but there was still a pair of Pintail on the flash.  As I scanned I found two Oystercatchers, two Snipe and two summer plumaged Black-tailed Godwits and a Little Egret was observed nearer to harrier hide.


Oystercatcher


Black-tailed Godwit


Black-tailed Godwit


Black-tailed Godwit


Black-tailed Godwit


Black-tailed Godwit


Black-tailed Godwit


Black-tailed Godwit


Black-tailed Godwit

I continued on to tern hide on lagoon six where there were another coupe of Oystercatcher and a Redshank and seven Sand Martins to the west and from Pintail on lagoon six I found a second pair of Oystercatcher.  As I walked to Shelduck hide on lagoon five a Hare came with a few feet of me before squeezing through wire fence on to lagoon eight meadow.  I scanned lagoon seven from the slope to Shelduck hide but other then three Shelduck there was little else.  From Shelduck I saw single Oystercatcher and Ringed Plover and four Redshanks.

Erik called me to say he was on the reserve and joined me as I was walking back towards the centre.  He had seen a Common Tern from the centre over lagoon three and so, it being a year tick, we headed in that direction.  There had also been a report of a Willow Warbler near grebe hide, which was on route.  As we neared grebe hide we spent a short while trying to find the reported Willow Warbler but there was no sign.  We continued on to Shoveler hide on lagoon three and it didn’t take too long to find the Common Tern.  Terry was also in the hide and whilst looking through some soaring Buzzards he picked up a Sparrowhawk but with little else he went to Lapwing hide to look for the female Scaup I had seen earlier and hopefully the Slavonian Grebe.  After he left Erik picked up a Red Kite over Burley and I found an Osprey in the same direction.  Terry then returned having seen the female Scaup and a possible hybrid and we then all went to sandpiper hide on lagoon four.  I stood talking to Norman and when I joined Terry and Erik they had located a single Dunlin, which was on island two.  I had just got on the Dunlin, when Terry said is that a Garganey behind but I just caught a glimpse of the bird as it disappeared behind the island.  With Erik also thinking it might have been a Garganey we went to plover hide to try and get a better view.  However there was no sign and Terry then suspected what he had seen was a female Mallard, which we could see, and it did have a face pattern suggesting a female Garganey.  It was disappointment all round but Terry then found a Little Ringed Plover on one of the islands, which was his first of the year.

Erik and I then went to Bittern hide on lagoon three as Terry headed off home.  Whilst in the hide we heard a Water Rail and there were quite a few martins coming and going.  Erik did pick out a couple of Swallows but all I was seeing were Sand Martins and we then realised that we were watching two different groups of birds with at least thirty being involved.

I decided to have a final look over lagoon four whilst Erik made his way back to the centre.  As I scanned the gulls they were still mainly Common Gulls with a few Black-headed Gulls and a single Great Black-backed Gull.  I then noticed a small gull that was tail-end on and suspected it was a Little Gull.  It was roosting and so I couldn’t see too much of the head and being end on didn’t help, although nearby Black-headed Gulls looked bigger.  It eventually picked its head up and I was able to confirm that it was a first-summer Little Gull.  I called Erik who then returned but unfortunately it had disappeared and he was unable to find it.

I finished the day on eighty-three species that included two year ticks, Little Gull and Common Tern, but with the exception of Osprey, migration still feels a little slow but with a good weather forecast for the next few days hopefully it will pick up.

No comments:

Post a Comment