Wednesday 29 April 2015

A day in Leicestershire & Rutland - April 28, 2015

I was at Rutland Water early today as over 200 Black-tailed Godwits had been reported yesterday evening and I was hoping they were still there.  As I was walking to Dunlin hide on lagoon four I met Tim coming back who informed me that they had gone but there was a pair of Red-crested Pochard to the left of the hide.  When I entered the hide I looked to the left for the Red-crested Pochard but there was no sign.  I scanned around the lagoon and found two Avocets and I could see that there were quite a few Ringed Plover and Dunlin scattered around but they were quite mobile and difficult to count, particularly as the light wasn’t brilliant either.  Steve then came in to the hide and he had counted over thirty Dunlin and fifteen Ringed Plovers from plover hide and after a joint but unsuccessful effort to find the pair of Red-crested Pochard he departed to the north arm and I went to plover hide.  The view was clearly better from here and I managed to find twenty-nine Dunlin and twelve Ringed Plovers.  There were also at least two Little Ringed Plover and two Redshanks but there was still no sign of the pair of Red-crested Pochard.

I had a quick look from both Bittern and Shoveler hides on lagoon three but other than a couple of Shelduck saw nothing else.  A quick check from sandpiper hide on lagoon four also failed to produce the Red-crested Pochard and I decided to go to the southern lagoons.

The westerly wind was quite fresh making it feel pretty cold and it was also rather quiet, although by the time I had reached the far end of lagoon one I had seen or heard Cetti’s Warbler, Chiffchaff, Willow Warbler, Blackcap, Garden Warbler, Lesser Whitethroat, Whitethroat and Sedge Warbler.  I continued heading towards the 360° hide on lagoon five and heard and saw another Lesser Whitethroat as I was approaching the hide and there was a Chiffchaff, Blackcap and Garden Warbler heard as I approached Shelduck hide.  I checked out lagoon seven first where I found an Oystercatcher, two Little Ringed Plover, a Ringed Plover, two Greenshanks and two Redshanks as well as eight more Common Terns.  I had brief views of a Whitethroat and heard another Willow Warbler and Sedge Warbler nearby and from the 360° I saw four Oystercatchers, two of which were on nests, and two more Redshank.

I continued towards Pintail hide and visited that and tern hide on lagoon six where there were another four Oystercatcher, with two again on nests.  A nice surprise was to see a Lapwing with four chicks on one of the islands.

The wind had now freshened and birds were singing much less and it was pretty quiet as I walked to harrier hide on lagoon one.  I scanned the Wet Meadow first and found a Greenshank standing on top of one of the islands, which was presumably one of the two I had seen earlier.  Lagoon one appeared to be particularly quiet and so I continued on to Snipe hide on the Wet Meadow.  There was a pair of Shelduck and a pair of Pintail on the flash but little else.  Pintail numbers on the reserve have been quite good this winter with more birds than usual staying into the second winter period and these two appear to be the final remaining birds and have been so for about ten days now.  Although they have never bred in the counties, could this be the year?  However before I left the hide one of the two Shelduck gave them grief on a couple of occasions and they eventually flew off towards Fieldfare hide in South Arm Three.


As I walked back towards the centre I had some nice views of an obliging Chiffchaff just before the path enters the more wooded area.


Chiffchaff


Chiffchaff

I went into Mallard hide on lagoon one where initially appeared rather quiet but a pair of Moorhen and Coot providing some entertainment in a territorial dispute and the larger Coot didn’t get it all his own way.





Moorhen and Coot in territorial dispute

To the right of the hide I saw another Chiffchaff, a Blackcap and a Sedge Warbler and an Osprey hovered quite close to the hide, obviously looking for a meal, before it headed off to the south.






Osprey over lagoon one

I went into the centre but nothing of note had been reported and I went back to the car for some lunch.

As there was no news from Steve who had gone with Terry on their normal circuit of the reservoir I set off back towards the northern lagoons.

I initially went to Shelduck hide on lagoon three where there were now plenty of terns feeding over the lagoon.  I counted forty-three at one point but they were all Common Terns and with little sign of anything else, other than three Ospreys over Burley Wood I moved off to sandpiper hide on lagoon four.



Common Tern over lagoon three

There was still no sign of the pair of Red-crested Pochard and the Ringed Plovers and Dunlin seemed to be scattered far and wide over the lagoon.  Steve and Terry then joined me in the hide and shortly afterwards I found a Turnstone on island five, which we hadn’t seen this morning and presumably it was a new arrival.  Steve and Terry eventually moved off to lagoon three and I was then joined by Pat.  As we continued to scan the lagoon I found a Whimbrel, which was bathing just behind one of the islands.  Steve then called to say he and Terry had found the Great Northern Diver in South Arm Three from Lapwing hide but that it was very distant.  I informed Steve about the Whimbrel but decided to stay put on lagoon three and I then picked up a nice Yellow Wagtail at the back of the lagoon.  The Whimbrel had moved on to the west bank of the lagoon to feed and Steve returned just in time to see it fly out of sight somewhere behind Dunlin hide.  With little else happening I finally decided that I would depart and call at Eyebrook Reservoir on route home.

I drove around the reservoir from Stoke Dry to the northern coral to view the reservoir, as it would be out of the wind.  As I entered the coral there was some disturbance and I then noticed an Osprey dropping into the stream to bathe.  Initially due to the disturbance there was very little but I then found three Little Ringed Plovers and eleven Dunlin.  When I looked over to the stream the Osprey had disappeared but then I saw it land a little further out into the reservoir but it was shallow enough to allow it to bathe.  When it eventually departed I was able to get some photos as it flew around before heading off to the north.  There were three Common Terns around the platforms and there were numerous hirundines over the water, mainly Sand Martin but also good numbers of Swallow with fewer House Martins.  I also saw four Yellow Wagtails, one on the mud by the inlet and three in flight over a field on the Rutland side.  As I scanned further down the reservoir I found a couple of Red Kites and a Buzzard and then two Swifts high over the distant plantation.







Osprey

No comments:

Post a Comment