Thursday 16 April 2015

A day in Leicestershire & Rutland - April 14, 2015

I went to the Lyndon Reserve at Rutland Water this morning as three Ring Ouzels had been reported late yesterday.  I set off from the car park towards Shallow Water hide as the ouzels had been reported in the meadow behind the hide.  There were three Red-legged Partridges in the first field to the south of the reserve and I had a couple of Chiffchaffs near Deep Water hide.  As I approached the meadow behind the hide I checked it several times but it not easy due the hedge between the path and the meadow.  I did have another Chiffchaff but there was no sign of any of the Ring Ouzels and so I made a visit to the hide.  Both of the Ospreys were present, the female on the nest and the male eating a fish from one of the perches.  Other than a Shelduck and a couple of Common Terns there was very little else and returned to try and take a further look at the meadow.  There was a pair of Blackcaps along the path to the hide and a Great Spotted Woodpecker was observed.  I checked the meadow several times as I walked back towards the centre but there was still no sign and I assume they had gone.  A Willow Warbler was seen near Deep Water hide as I returned and three Tree Sparrows were seen near the centre.


I called Steve who was in the north arm with Terry but they had seen nothing of note and so I decided to go to Barnsdale Wood to look for a Lesser Spotted Woodpecker that had been reported recently.  When I arrived the entrance gate was locked and so I parked outside and walked down the hill through the first piece of woodland where I had a couple of Goldcrest and a Nuthatch but it was surprising how little song there was.  On reaching the bottom I then walked up the slope but other than a Kestrel I saw or heard very little.  On reaching the top I went towards the children's play area, which is where the recent sightings of the woodpecker had been.  Again it was very quiet although I did find a male Blackcap that was singing and another Nuthatch was calling just through the gate at the bottom.  I walked through the gate and continued towards the coniferous area and saw a Buzzard over the wood and had another Blackcap.  All of a sudden my phone burst into life and there were message from both Steve and Tim indicating that there was an Alpine Swift over the hotel.  I quickened my pace and tried to call Steve for more information but there was no signal, which is probably why I hadn’t received either of the calls.  Although I wasn’t too far away it is quiet hilly and a good walk back to the car.  I eventually managed to call Steve who said it was still there and explained where they were seeing it from.  I reached the car and drove down the hill and just grabbed my bins and joined a group of four Steve, Terry, Tim and Matthew.  Thankfully it was still flying quiet high above the hotel and I was relieved to get my second County year tick of the year.  Having seen it I went back to the car for my scope and camera and when I got back I called David and Roger.  Roger was aware of its presence but was struggling to get over as he has grandchildren duties on Tuesday but David didn’t know but said he was coming over.  I managed to find it in the scope and watched it for several minutes.  As more birders began arriving I decided to walk further along the track to try and get at least a record shot and did managed to get a few, although it wasn’t easy as the bird remained high and the sky was quiet bright.  Just as I got back to the group David arrived and was relieved to find it was still present and as we stood watching I had a tap on the shoulder and it was Roger who had also made it.  It wasn’t long after that it flew off to the west and was not seen again and sadly several people missed it.






Alpine Swift

I left and went to the Egleton Reserve and walked to Snipe hide on the Wet Meadow.  There was a Chiffchaff singing just outside the hide and a pair of Pintail was still present on the flash but only four Shelduck were present.  A walk to Shelduck hide on lagoon six produced very little and there was little visible on lagoon seven.  The Greenland White-fronted Goose was present on lagoon five and there were a couple of Redshank on the lagoon.  After the excitement of the swift it now appeared pretty quiet and I started to make my way back to the centre with intention of calling at Mallard hide.  I had almost reached the hide when Roger called to say that Ben had called to say that there was a Redstart and two Whinchat at Eyebrook Reservoir.  Neither of these birds is easy to get in the Counties these days and so I continued on to the car park and headed for Eyebrook Reservoir.




Drake Shoveler from Shelduck hide

I left and went to the Egleton Reserve and walked to Snipe hide on the Wet Meadow.  There was a Chiffchaff singing just outside the hide and a pair of Pintail was still present on the flash but only four Shelduck were present.  A walk to Shelduck hide on lagoon six produced very little and there was little visible on lagoon seven.  The Greenland White-fronted Goose was present on lagoon five and there were a couple of Redshank on the lagoon.  After the excitement of the swift it now appeared pretty quiet and I started to make my way back to the centre with intention of calling at Mallard hide.  I had almost reached the hide when Roger called to say that Ben had called to say that there was a Redstart and two Whinchat at Eyebrook Reservoir.  Neither of these birds is easy to get in the Counties these days and so I continued on to the car park and headed for Eyebrook Reservoir.

When I arrived at Eyebrook Reservoir there were quite a few other birders present and after walking through the gate I was soon watching a nice male Whinchat alongside a Wheatear.  Further scanning produced another male Whinchat and Wheatear and there were two Oystercatchers on the shore but the Redstart was not playing ball.  Paul had gone closer to the water and found the Redstart feeding from some hawthorn bushes but by the time I got alongside him, it had disappeared again.  However we now have some idea where it was and it wasn’t too long before reappeared and provided some nice views of what was a stunning male.  Feeling quite satisfied with the excursion I went back to the car and had my lunch and afterwards went to the northern coral and the Rutland bank but there was very little a Red Kite, a couple of Buzzards and two Common Terns being the best.

I returned to Rutland Water and went to the Old Hall to view the south arm where I found Steve and Terry but other than a Curlew flying over we had little else.

On reaching the Egleton car park I saw Mike who said someone had seen three Whimbrel on lagoon four and that there was also a Spotted Redshank.  As I started to walk towards the lagoons Terry arrived having dropped Steve off at the cottage for his car.  Terry said Steve had had a call from Tim confirming what Mike had said and we went down the service road to sandpiper hide on lagoon four.  Steve was already in the hide but it was pretty full and Terry decided to go plover hide to get a different view.  Steve had seen Little Ringed Plover, Ringed Plover and Dunlin but not either the Whimbrel or Spotted Redshank.  I eventually saw four Pintail, an Avocet, a Little Ringed Plover, four Ringed Plovers, six Dunlin, three Curlew, a Common Sandpiper, four Redshanks and a Wheatear but there was no sign of the reported Whimbrel or Spotted Redshank.  Terry then returned but he also hadn’t seen any of the reported birds and we did wonder were the three Whimbrel actually Curlew and was a dark looking Redshank the reported Spotted Redshank.  We will probably never know.

Terry hadn’t seen the Avocet and went to Dunlin hide whilst Steve went to Shoveler and I went to Bittern hide on lagoon three.  Just as I was approaching the hide Steve called to say that there was a Raven heading towards Hambleton ad then said that there were two.  I opened the flap in the hide but there was no sign of the Ravens and they were obviously not high enough for me to see.  I had heard a Sedge Warbler near the hide and there was a Common Tern over the lagoon.  As I was looking out of the side flap all hell broke out with virtually everything taking to flight and a quick look through a front facing flap produced an Osprey with an enormous fish, which it was struggling to fly with.  With little else I returned to the car park and after a final chat to Steve and a coffee I headed off home, whilst he headed for Warren Hills and hopefully three Ring Ouzels.

No comments:

Post a Comment