Thursday 16 April 2015

A day in Leicestershire & Rutland - April 11, 2015

I set off quite early this morning hoping that I could get some of the birds present yesterday before a band of rain forecast arrived.  I saw very little on route with six Red-legged Partridges being the highlight.  When I arrived at Eyebrook Reservoir it was still dry although overcast and one of the Little Owls obliged this morning as I stopped briefly to view the old oak.  I continued on to view the inlet hearing my first Willow Warblers of the year near the bridge.  I parked facing the inlet but it appeared pretty quiet and all I could find was a Little Egret, a Dunlin on the far side and a single White Wagtail.  I did pick up a tern way down the reservoir and decided to drive towards Stoke Dry to see if I could a better look.  As I started to drive towards the car park a Barn Owl appeared just over the hedge on the left and I saw it several times as I followed it along the road.  On reaching the car park I couldn’t find the tern and the small party of Sand Martins I had seen had also disappeared.  I decided to drive to the island to see if I could find the tern from the southern coral but there was no sign and it had obviously departed.  I went back along the Leicestershire bank and stopped at the second coral.  I took my umbrella with me as I felt the rain wasn’t too far away and I would then be able to at least use the scope.  As I scanned I picked up another Barn Owl way down to the south but it was heading back towards me.  I rushed back to the car to get the camera and set it at a high ISO hoping it would come all the way.  However when I got back to the coral there was no sign until it suddenly appeared just a few meters away and passed right in front of the corral.  I did fire a few shots off but unfortunately they were all slightly blurred as the camera was struggling to lock on and focus.  There were now a few spots of rain and several Swallows suddenly appeared with perhaps as many as fifty eventually and a Sedge Warbler sang briefly but I couldn’t locate it.  I then noticed a Osprey to the south, which was harassed by two Red Kites and what I initially thought was a distant Buzzard turned out to be a Raven, which was my first hear since August last year.  With the rain now becoming persistent and a little heavier I decided to head to Rutland Water.

When I arrived in the car park at Egleton the rain became very heavy and so I sat in the car for a few minutes before it eased and then went to the centre.  There were plenty of Sand Martins and a few Swallow over the water, particularly whilst it was raining and there were two Common Terns towards the back of the lagoon.  Malcolm joined me in the hide and had been to Great Easton first to check up on a report of a Cuckoo heard calling but he had only seen and heard Willow Warblers.  He did however find a Yellow Wagtail on one of the exposed sections of the long island and there was an Oystercatcher towards harrier hide with two more visible on the wet meadow.

It wasn’t long before the rain ceased and we set off for lagoon three hoping that the Little Gulls and Black Terns present yesterday were still present.  As we walked towards the large meadow we could hear a couple of Willow Warblers and one was then seen and just afterwards we found a Blackcap alongside the path.  When we arrived at Shoveler the hide was empty and the wind had freshened and it felt pretty cold.  There were plenty of Black-headed Gulls feeding over the water on lagoon three and we found a single Common Tern amongst them but there was no sign of yesterday’s Little Gulls or Black Terns.  There was very little else, although I did hear a Cetti’s Warbler on a couple of occasions and so we moved to Bittern hide.  There was a Little Egret and a Snipe from the hide and a Buzzard was observed soaring above the reedbed.  Being close to plover hide we called in but didn’t stay too long and the cold wind was blowing straight in.  We went back to sandpiper hide where it felt a little better and we found a couple of Oystercatchers, a single Ringed Plover, a Curlew and three Redshanks.  Erik then joined us in the hide and immediately found another two Ringed Plovers and a Dunlin.  Another plover he picked up turned out to be a Little Ringed Plover and he then found a very distant Snipe.  There were some gulls on the same island as the Curlew and they suddenly all took off as an Osprey passed over the lagoon.

After some lunch we went to the north arm to try and confirm a possible House Martin amongst the more numerous Sand Martins.  When we arrived they appeared to be all Sand Martins with an odd Swallow but then Erik said he had one and I also got on it before it disappeared behind a tree.  It was some time before we saw it again and this time Malcolm was able to get on it as well.  Erik then said he had a Yellow Wagtail on the fence on the north shore.  I quickly located the bird and whilst observing it Erik and Malcolm said its dropped into the grass but it was still sitting there through my scope and we then realised we had watching different birds and there were in fact two.  A forth Common Tern of the day was also observed but there was very little else and Erik and I returned to the centre and Malcolm went to try and see the Great Northern Diver and Red-necked Grebe.

There were still a few Sand Martins around over lagoon one and Brown’s Island but other than a couple of Curlew in flight we couldn’t find anything else and Erik called it a day and decided to call at Eyebrook Reservoir again.


Malcolm was there when I arrived not having seen either the diver or the grebe at Rutland Water but he and another birder had seen a Dunlin and a Ringed Plover and the another birder had seen a Mediterranean Gull.  I scanned the shore and found the Dunlin along with plover, which I identified as a Little Ringed Plover and then found two more.  I drove around to the coral as there was a report of Yellow and White Wagtails.  There was another birder in the coral when I arrived but he had not seen either of the wagtails.  I had seen an Osprey from the Rutland bank but it was now much closer and was obviously fishing, although it eventually departed without catching anything.  I did find three White Wagtails on the exposed mud but when Colin and Chris arrived they had walked out of sight but after a short wait they returned and Chris found a forth on the Rutland bank and whilst scanning I found a Yellow Wagtail.  Colin then picked up an Osprey heading towards us from the direction of the Stoke Dry car park.  As it got closer we could see that it was fitted with a satellite tracker and passed quite close before heading off to the north.  It showed no interest in actually fishing and it was probably a bird on passage rather than being one of the Ospreys from Rutland Water.  There was also a good number of Swallows still present just before I left for home.


Red Kite


First Osprey


First Osprey


Second Osprey


Second Osprey


Second Osprey


Second Osprey


Second Osprey


Second Osprey

No comments:

Post a Comment