Wednesday 22 April 2015

A day in Leicestershire & Rutland - April 21, 2015

I was out early today as I was helping with a summer wildfowl count at Rutland Water and wanted to visit Eyebrook Reservoir before going to there.  A Green Woodpecker flew over the road as I approached Blaston and there was a Buzzard perched in a roadside tree on the far side of the village.  I arrived at the southern end of Eyebrook Reservoir just after 06:30 and found a Dunlin and a Whimbrel on the island.  I then drove slowly towards the northern end and heard a Lesser Whitethroat sing.  I parked and walked back along the road hearing the Lesser Whitethroat sing on several occasions and I saw it rather poorly as it moved on the far side of the hedge but it then flew some way down the road.  I returned to the car and drove to the northern coral seeing an Osprey flying off to the north as I pulled up.  The exposed mud was almost bird less with just a few Teal in evidence and so I checked the old oak for Little Owls but they were not showing and I then went and parked facing the inlet on the Rutland bank.  I did see a couple of Little Ringed Plovers flying around but other than half a dozen Shelduck there was nothing else and so I went on to Rutland Water.

I went to the fishponds hoping to catch Steve to see what areas he would like me to count.  He was already there and we agreed that I would count South Arm Three, the Wet Meadow and the new lagoons.

I drove to the Old Hall to count South Arm Three and there were quite a few Tufted Duck just off shore and I found a female Scaup as I went through and counted them.  There were quite a few birds on the water but most were Tufted Duck and Coot, although I also had Mute Swan, Greylag Goose, two Shelduck, Gadwall, Teal and Mallard but surprisingly no Goldeneye.

When I had finished in the south arm I went to the Egleton car park and walked to the Wet Meadow.  As I walked round to Snipe hide I saw a couple of Chiffchaffs and two Blackcaps as well as hearing several more Chiffchaff and Blackcaps as well as a Willow Warbler.  There were four Shelduck and a pair of Pintail as well as Gadwall, Teal, Mallard and Shoveler on the Wet Meadow.  I continued on to tern hide on Lagoon Six seeing Willow Warbler, Whitethroat and Sedge Warbler on route.  There was an Oystercatcher sitting on a nest just in front of the hide and another standing on a nearby island.  Other wildfowl included Mute Swan, Greylag Geese, Canada Geese, Egyptian Geese, Wigeon, Gadwall and Coot.


Chiffchaff


Oystercatcher


Lapwing


Lapwing

From Pintail hide that also overlooks Lagoon Six there was another pair of Oystercatcher with again one sitting.

I walked on and counted lagoon eight from the path where there were quite a few Greylag Geese, a couple of Shelduck and a single Oystercatcher.  I retraced my steps and went on to Lagoon Seven, which does not have public access and can only be viewed from the entrance of Shelduck hide.  However as I was doing the count I was authorised to view it from inside the perimeter but keeping mainly hidden behind the bank.  I went to the far end and looked back up the lagoon and one of the first birds I saw was an Avocet, which was quickly followed by a Greenshank.  I called Steve as I suspected he needed Greenshank for his county year list.  As we were talking a godwit suddenly appeared and then disappeared just a quickly.  He had almost finished his count and said he would join me and then finish lagoon one from harrier hide.  Whilst I was waiting I walked around a little further to get of view of the godwit and was able to confirm that it was a Black-tailed.  Steve arrived and viewed the lagoon from the sluice gate and quickly found the Avocet and Greenshank but not the godwit and so he joined me and then godwit obligingly appeared.  There were also Mute Swan, Greylag Goose, Egyptian Goose, Gadwall, Teal, Mallard and Tufted Duck on the lagoon and a Red Kite was seen just off to the west.

I now had just lagoon five to count and I was finished Steve joined me in Shelduck hide in the hope that the Greenland White-fronted Goose would be present.  Whilst we were searching for the goose we found a two Oystercatcher, a Little Ringed Plover and two Redshank but we could only see Greylag Geese.  A goose then called, which sounded a bit like a Pink-footed Goose, and we saw the Greenland White-fronted Goose drop in.  Steve went off to harrier hide and after few more minutes completing the count from Shelduck I went into the 360° hide to make sure I hadn’t missed anything.

With the count complete I went back to the car for lunch before handing in the figures and heading off to lagoon three.

Steve had counted lagoon three this morning and hadn’t seen anything special but as I walked along the winter trail another birder informed that there were eleven Little Gulls and two Arctic Terns over the lagoon.  As I approached the path to Shoveler hide a heard a gull call I wasn’t particularly familiar with and when I looked up I found a superb summer adult Little Gull.  Whilst I was watching, it continued to call but it was the only one I could see.  On reaching the hide I found another two adults and two first-summer birds feeding low over the water.  I called to Steve to let him about the gulls and he was up at the dam seeing very little and said he would come straight back.  As I looked over the water I couldn’t find any Little Gulls but did find a female-type Marsh Harrier at the far end of the reedbed.  I called Steve to make him aware that the gulls had disappeared but that I now had a Marsh Harrier.  When he arrived in the hide I hadn’t seen the gulls again and the harrier had also disappeared.  He wasn’t sure as to whether to go to sandpiper to see if the Little Gulls were on lagoon four or stick it out in Shoveler in the hope they would reappear.  Whilst scanning he found the two Arctic Terns amongst the Common Terns and he then picked up a Little Gull.  More Little Gulls then appeared and we could see that there were two first-summers, a second summer and at least two summer adults.  They suddenly began to climb higher and eventually we could see that there were twelve, nine of which were summer adults.  As we watched them they seemed to move off to the east but also seemed to drop low over South Arm Three.  As I scanned the sky to try and find them again I noticed that the Marsh Harrier was back over the reedbed and we were able to determine that it was probably an immature as there was no yellow on the forewing but this also gained height and appeared to depart.

Steve went back to the centre to hand in his count figures and went to sandpiper hide on lagoon four.  I found a couple of Oystercatchers, a Little Ringed Plover, a Ringed Plover, a Ruff and a couple of Redshank and more Common Terns resting on one of the spits.  Finally I went to both Bittern and plover hides but other than two more Little Ringed Plovers from plover hide there was nothing new.  I walked back to the centre but other than a few more Common Terns found nothing else of note on lagoon one.

As it was such a cracking afternoon I decided to call at Eyebrook Reservoir again on my way home.  I drove around to the northern coral and found three Little Ringed Plovers at the inlet, which were displaying flying around and calling for quite some time.  There was also a single Oystercatcher on the Rutland bank and there were now ten terns present.  Two were sat on one of the raft, which were clearly Common Terns as were another two but the other six that were a little further away were Arctic Terns.  There were also more hirundines present with most being Swallows but there was also a few Sand Martins amongst them as they fed over the water.  I then noticed some higher and initially picked out a couple of House Martins but eventually had as many as six and whilst scanning these found two Swifts, which were my first of the year.

An excellent day with five year ticks and ninety-one species recorded.

No comments:

Post a Comment