Friday 1 August 2014

An afternoon in Leicestershire & Rutland - July 31, 2014

With the forecast of heavy showers this afternoon I decided to go to Eyebrook Reservoir and Rutland Water.

On arrival at Eyebrook Reservoir it was dry and remained so during my time I was there.  I stopped at the bridge over the inlet where I found three Snipe and a rather distant Common Sandpiper.  On moving around to the area overlooking the exposed mud there were three Dunlin, a Ruff and four Green Sandpipers and an adult a juvenile Shelduck.  Mick then saw a slightly larger juvenile gull amongst the flock of Black-headed Gulls but after being distracted by his dog we were unable to relocate it, all we were seeing were Black-headed Gulls, three Lesser Black-backed Gulls and a Great Black-backed Gull.  Mick was convinced it would still be there and after all the birds were spooked he found it again but then lost once more.  He gave Dave and I instructions as to where he thought it was and I picked it up just to the left of where he was describing and it was a juvenile Mediterranean Gull.


We then received a tweet from Rutland Water that a Pectoral Sandpiper had been reported on lagoon four and that Tim was going to check it out.  Dave and I decided to go over anyway but on calling Tim on arrival it had not be found.  I joined Dave in the centre where we had distant views of a Hobby hunting over the back of lagoon one.  We also found a Curlew, a Common Sandpiper, four Green Sandpipers and a Greenshank but there was no sign of a Knot that had been present earlier.  Dave then had to leave and I decided to go lagoon four and was given permission to drive down.  Initially I was going to walk but with the weather looking rather threatening I took him up on his offer and drove to dunlin hide.  It had started to rain just as I was opening the gate in the car park and within a few minutes of getting into the hide it was raining heavily.  There were numerous Black-headed Gulls on the lagoon and smaller numbers of Common, Lesser Black-backed, Yellow-legged and Great Black-backed Gulls on the islands and during the storm the numbers swelled, particularly Black-headed Gulls.  I found two Dunlin and a Ringed Plover to the right of the hide but as the rain was easing a small party of waders flew closer and on scanning them there were four Ringed Plovers, two Dunlin and surprisingly a Sanderling.  Tim joined me in the hide and I counted fifteen Yellow-legged Gull but there was no sign of any of the Mediterranean Gulls present over the last two evenings.  Four of the five juvenile and an adult Shelduck were present and I wondered if the bird seen at Eyebrook Reservoir was in fact the fifth.  With nothing else of note we both called it a day and I followed Tim to the car park before heading off home.

No comments:

Post a Comment