Sunday 24 August 2014

A day in Leicestershire & Rutland & Lincolnshire - August 23, 2014

I called at Wistow Church on route to Eyebrook Reservoir where I found a Nuthatch and a Treecreeper and there were good numbers of House Martins in the fields with a few Swallows.

When I arrived at Eyebrook Reservoir it felt much cooler as there was now a cool westerly wind.  The Little Owl was visible in the old oak as I approached the reservoir, which was the first time I had seen it since July 19th.  A Little Egret flew further up the stream as I glanced over the inlet bridge but there was nothing else of note.  I could see that there were fewer birds at the inlet with very few geese and only a few Lapwing and Black-headed Gulls.  I parked off the road and scanned the area of exposed mud but could only find eight Dunlin.  There were plenty of duck, which were mainly Mallard interspersed with a few Teal and I did eventually find an adult and three juvenile Shelduck.  Another birder informed me that he had seen a Black-tailed Godwit on the Leicestershire bank and a Whinchat in a field closer to Stoke Dry.  I parked further on but there was no sign of the godwit although there was at least ten Swift amongst the numerous House Martins feeding over the reservoir.

I stood in the gateway to the field in which the Whinchat had been seen and had Swift, Sand Martin, Swallow and House Martin over the field and a good number of Linnets.  Roger had called to say he was on his way over and joined me in the field when he arrived.  I had not seen the Whinchat and there was no sign before we departed to Rutland Water but we did have two Willow Warblers, a Lesser Whitethroat and Whitethroat in the hedgerow and three Red Kites, three Buzzards and two Kestrel over the fields and I had seen an Osprey earlier.


Roger went to Rutland Water via the Little Owl site and joined me in the Lyndon Centre having no luck with the owl.  There was quite a bit of activity on the feeders outside the centre with at least eight Tree Sparrows present.  Having signed in we set off for shallow water hide where we hoped to see a female Scaup and Wood Sandpiper that had both been present recently.  On route we had a couple of Yellow Wagtails on wires and a Chiffchaff in a mixed flock of tits.  On reaching the hide we soon found a Ruff, three Black-tailed Godwits, a Common Sandpiper, a Green Sandpipers and eventually the Wood Sandpiper, which was feeding on the far side.  A Yellow Wagtail was observed amongst a party of Pied Wagtails and two Little Egrets were observed in flight.  Roger then found a Whinchat just to the right of the hide and it eventually showed well, perching on the barbed wire that runs to the left of the hide.  We had scanned the wildfowl for the Scaup but there was no sign, although there was an increase in the number of Shoveler.  A Hobby was observed as it hunted between LAX Hill and Heron Bay.


Yellow Wagtail


Common sandpiper


Whinchat


Whinchat


Whinchat

We walked back to the centre and called at tufted duck and deep water hides but there was still no sign of the Scaup but there were eleven Common Terns and a single Oystercatcher below Lax Hill and six Little Egrets in Heron Bay.

After some lunch we went around to the Egleton Reserve and initially went to the centre to look over lagoon one.  It was generally rather quiet but I did find a single Pintail amongst a party of Gadwall.  I called Ken, who had gone down to lagoon four, to see what he had seen but there was nothing unusual.  Whilst we were debating what to do next my phone rang and it was Tim giving us advanced news of a Spotted Crake at deep water hide on the Lyndon Reserve.  The debate stopped and we headed back to the Lyndon Centre but I was a bit surprised as I thought it was most unsuitable site for a Spotted Crake.  I called Ken to make him aware of the crake on route and we arrived we set of for deep water hide.  On arrival there were a couple of birders present but no sign of the crake and so I called Tim who informed me it was from wader scrape hide.  I am not sure if I misheard him or whether he did say deep water hide but we were soon heading off to wader scrape hide.  I called Ken again to make him aware of the mix-up and as we arrived Tim Mackrill was just leaving and he informed us it was still showing.  It wasn’t too long before Roger and I were watching the bird and it performed exceptionally well over the next couple of hours.  It suddenly occurred to me that I hadn’t received a tweet from Andy and so I gave him a call and although he had heard something it hadn’t been confirmed, which it now was and he tweeted the information.

Apparently it had been found earlier but the observers assumed it was a Water Rail and the true identity wasn’t established until Andy Howes saw it later.  If only Roger and I had visited the hide earlier we might well have found it.











Juvenile Spotted Crake

No comments:

Post a Comment