Thursday 21 August 2014

A day in Leicestershire & Rutland - August 19, 2014

I called at Eyebrook Reservoir first today but only visited the inlet.  There was a Green Sandpiper feeding in the inlet stream and I found three Dunlin at the mouth of the inlet as well as a Common Sandpiper.  There were plenty of gulls at the inlet; mainly Black-headed but I did find a couple of Common and a single adult Yellow-legged Gull.  There were quite a few Sand Martin and several House Martins over the water and at least fifteen Swift were observed.  An Osprey was observed further down the reservoir and a Sparrowhawk flew over the inlet flushing most of the birds.  As the birds began to settle I saw a forth Dunlin but there was nothing else of note and so I moved onto Rutland Water. 


On reaching Rutland Water I went to the north arm where there had been a Black-necked Grebe yesterday.  There was no sign of the grebe but I did see four Greenshanks and a Common Sandpiper.  I spent some time trying, unsuccessfully, to photograph Sand Martins that were numerous and flying low over the water.  Two Red Kites and two Ospreys were also observed over Burley Wood.  I called Steve to see if he had found the grebe but he had also had no luck but informed me that there were four Red-crested Pochard and a Black-tailed Godwit in Dickinson’s Bay.


Canada Geese over the north arm


Sand Martin over the north arm

I drove around to Barnsdale and walked into Dickinson's Bay and found the Red-crested Pochard almost straight away and also the Black-tailed Godwit, which was quite close to the Pochard and there was a Greenshank a little further round.


Eclipse Mallard over the north arm


Juvenile Common Tern over the north arm

I walked to harrier hide once on the Egleton Reserve but a single Little Egret was the highlight from there and so I continued to fieldfare hide to see if the receding water level had attracted any waders.  The water level was such that there was some exposed shoreline but there were no waders but I did see a Clouded Yellow butterfly.  Lagoon six was pretty full and there was very little on it but from the 360° hide I found four Curlew, a Common Sandpiper and five Greenshanks.  I assumed the Greenshanks were probably the five I had seen earlier as I had seen four fly in the direction of the reserve.


Southern Hawker near snipe hide

Whilst I was having my lunch Ken arrived and we then went into the centre to view lagoon one.  There was a Green Sandpiper just in front of the centre but there were fewer birds on the lagoon than of late although there was noticeably more Shoveler today.  Steve then called to say that he and Terry were back in the north arm and had found the Black-necked Grebe.

Ken and I decided to go and take a look and Steve and Terry were still there when we arrived.  As we walked towards them and Osprey flew down the north arm and then went towards Burley.  We were soon watching the Black-necked Grebe that was starting to moult and looked a little drab.  Steve then picked up a Hobby over Burley and there was also a distant Buzzard.

On returning to the reserve Ken and I set off towards sandpiper hide on lagoon four but called at both redshank and grebe hides on lagoon two on route.  We had nice views of a Sparrowhawk from redshank and there was another Green Sandpiper from grebe hide.

On reaching sandpiper hide we soon found two Black-tailed Godwits and five Dunlin on island seven and there were two Little Ringed and seven Ringed Plovers between islands nine and ten.  A third Common Sandpiper was also observed towards island eight and three Common Terns flew over.

Lagoon three is now full again and whilst there were plenty of wildfowl there was nothing unusual.
As we walked back to the centre Ken received a text informing him that there were two Whinchat at Eyebrook Reservoir.  We called in the centre again as Terry had seen two Garganey and we did managed to find one, albeit rather distant before moving onto Eyebrook Reservoir.

On reaching Eyebrook Reservoir the Whinchat had disappeared and did not reappear despite a thorough search in ninety minutes.  I did see a fifth Dunlin and a Peregrine flew over and a nice juvenile Little Gull was also observed as it flew along the Leicestershire bank.

No comments:

Post a Comment