Sunday 10 August 2014

A day in Leicestershire & Rutland - August 9, 2014

I was out on mine own today as David was going to a wedding and Roger was in Norfolk for the weekend.  I decided to go to the Lyndon Reserve first toady as there had been a Wood Sandpiper reported from shallow water hide yesterday.  The Lyndon Reserve can be quite good during August for immature warblers but appeared very quiet as I set off towards the hide.  As I approached the turning for wader scrape hide I noticed that there were a few birds feeding in the hedgerow.  They were mainly Blue and Great Tits but there was also Robin and Chaffinch and I could hear several Bullfinches.  Whilst I was watching a bird flew out of the hedge and landed in the hedge just behind me and perched near the top and I was able to see it was a cracking juvenile Lesser Whitethroat.  On reaching the hide neither Osprey was present but they had both returned before I departed.  There was a Green Sandpiper just in front of the hide and as I scanned the shoreline I found three more.  Two Common Sandpipers then appeared just to the right of the hide an there were nine Little Egrets in the bay but there was no sign of the Wood Sandpiper.


Grey Heron


Osprey


Juvenile Lapwing


Juvenile Lapwing


Juvenile Common Tern

I walked back along the footpath close to the water and found a Chiffchaff, at least five Willow Warblers and a Goldcrest amongst a part of Long-tailed Tits.  I called at both tufted duck and deep water hide but saw very little of interest.  On reaching the centre I spent a short while observing the feeders.  There were numerous Blue and Great Tits, which were coming and going constantly but there were also a couple of Marsh Tits, at least three Tree Sparrows and several Chaffinch and Greenfinch.


Grey Heron from tufted duck hide

With little else visible form snipe hide I moved on to harrier hide, which overlooks lagoon one.  As I sat down and opened the flap I noticed two Greenshanks and another birder informed me that there was a Wood Sandpiper.  I scanned the area where he had said it was but there was nothing and it had probably walked out of sight.  I then noticed a couple of waders coming out but on the other shore, one was a Green Sandpiper but the second bird was a juvenile Wood Sandpiper.  A third bird then appeared that was another Green Sandpiper and a third had joined the Greenshanks.  As I was scanning the more distant islands a third Greenshank flew in and started feeding.  It was now approaching lunch time but I decided to go and check out the water level at fieldfare hide.  There was a small amount of mud beginning to appear but not sufficient to have attracted any waders.  A Buzzard was observed over Brown’s Island whilst I was in the hide.



Buzzard

I made my way back to the car park for lunch and I just as I was finishing Pat arrived.  We decided to go straight to grebe hide on lagoon two, where we found three more Green Sandpipers and an Osprey was observed as it stooped around the edge of Brown’s Island.

As we entered sandpiper hide on lagoon four most birds were flying around with some at a considerable height.  I suspected that there might be a Peregrine around but we couldn’t locate it or any other bird of prey that might have caused the panic.  As I was scanning the nearest area of exposed I found several Ringed Plovers but was suddenly aware of an immature Peregrine flying low over the ground before rising and flying over the hide.  The Ringed Plovers surprisingly hadn’t moved and I eventually counted a seven and also found four Little Ringed Plovers.  There was eventually thirty-six Common Tern on the lagoons but with just two Buzzards visible over Burly Wood and very little else we moved off to shoveler hide on lagoon three.

The area on lagoon three that had been very good for waders a few weeks ago was still devoid of birds and the water level is perhaps now just a fraction high.  A Buzzard was observed coming from the east and was making quite rapid progress despite flying into a head wind.  There were plenty of wildfowl on the lagoon, which were mainly Gadwall and Tufted Duck but there was also Wigeon, Teal, Mallard, Shoveler and Pochard and also a few Little Grebes.  Pat called it a day but I stayed on and saw Sedge and Reed Warblers and had a brief view of a Water Rail.


Juvenile Cormorant over lagoon three


Juvenile Cormorant over lagoon three


Canada Goose on lagoon three


Juvenile Moorhen on lagoon three


Juvenile Sedge Warbler on lagoon three

When I got back to the centre there was very little visible on lagoon one and I moved off to Eyebrook Reservoir.

Mick and Colin were at Eyebrook Reservoir when I arrived and they informed me they had seen two Common Sandpiper, three Green Sandpipers and two Redshank and another birder had apparently seen a couple of Dunlin.  Colin pointed out a Common Sandpiper and I found four Green Sandpipers and one of the Redshanks.  As we scanned the increasing number of gulls I found an adult Yellow-legged Gull and a Garganey.

No comments:

Post a Comment