Friday 25 April 2014

A day’s birding in Leicestershire & Rutland - April 22, 2014

The forecast today might have suggested that it would be good for terns and perhaps waders and so I initially headed for Eyebrook Reservoir.  It was quite misty when I left home but as I drove over to Eyebrook Reservoir the misty got thicker and was quite slow to clear.  It was difficult seeing as far as the dam at the reservoir but I was certain there were no terns present and even more concerning no hirundine.  There was a single Little Egret on the island but nothing else of note was in evidence.  I stopped at the fenced area at the northern end and found six Common Terns and could see a few hirundine in the distance but wasn’t able to identify them.  A Sedge Warbler singing nearby was heard and eventually seen but I then received a text indicating that there were two Sandwich Terns at the inlet.  I hadn’t seen these or any other birder so I drove around to the Rutland bank to find Andy Mackay, who indicated that the terns were perched on the posts.  I had looked at these earlier and there had been nothing, so they either just arrived or were flying around in the mist.  They had a couple of short flights around the posts but soon settled back on them.  On the third occasion they gained more height and flew towards us passing over and were heading off west when they appeared to change their minds and came back towards us briefly before turning again and heading of northeast into the mist.  With a tweet announcing Grey Plover and Arctic Tern at Rutland Water I decided to move off.

On arriving at Rutland Water I went straight to shoveler hide on lagoon three where I hoped to see the Arctic Terns.  There were a number of terns feeding over the lagoon and fortunately the three Arctic were still present as Andy sent me a text message indicating seven had dropped in at Eyebrook Reservoir that built up to nineteen.  Having succeeded with the terns I moved onto Bittern hide where the Sedge Warbler was still singing and I eventually heard a Reed Warbler but it remained hidden in the reeds.  With little else in evidence I moved to plover hide on lagoon four where there were three Oystercatcher, a single Little Ringed Plover and ten Dunlin.    I returned to the car park and after some lunch walked to snipe hide on the wet meadow, where there were a couple of Avocet, a Little Egret and a couple of Shelduck.  I decided to go back to the northern end of the reserve, which was a mistake as apparently the Grey Plover was on lagoon seven.


Little Grebe on lagoon one


Female Tufted Duck on lagoon one



Male Reed Warbler near snipe hide

On approaching shoveler hide on lagoon three another birder indicated that there was a Marsh Harrier over lagoon three.  There was no sign of the harrier and I assumed that it had probably gone down in the reeds and I moved on to lapwing hide and hopefully the Great Northern Diver.  The Great Northern Diver was observed between the hide and the Old Hall and was close enough for the summer plumage to be seen, although it looked identical to when it was seen on the 16th.  I returned to shoveler hide on lagoon three but on informing Steve of the diver he said the harrier had flown off towards Hambleton and had probably gone.  I stayed in shoveler for a while, seeing very little, when Steve and Terry arrived, saying that there was a second-year Yellow-legged Gull on lagoon four.  I went straight to sandpiper hide on lagoon four but the gull had gone, although I did see fourteen Dunlin and two Curlews.


Little Egret over lagoon three


I returned to the car park and after a coffee set off home.

No comments:

Post a Comment