Friday 25 April 2014

A day’s birding at Rutland Water, Rutland - April 24, 2014


After an uneventful journey I arrived at the dam at Rutland Water but it was very quiet with just two Yellow Wagtails putting in a brief appearance.  I moved back to Normanton and walked through the car park towards the church but there was no sign of the resident Mandarin Ducks and it was generally very quiet with little song.

There had been a number of Wheatear reported on the practice green at the Luffenham Gold Club, which is close to the old airfield and now army barracks.  I parked alongside the area and counted twenty-five Wheatear on what is quite a small area.  There was also single Skylark, Yellow Wagtail, Pied Wagtail and Meadow Pipit feeding on the grass and a Swallow flew over.  There was a Whitethroat in the scrub close to the fenced off area and several more Skylarks were either observed or heard.  This is the most Wheatear I have ever seen in a single location and I would expect that there were more on the inaccessible areas of the site.

Returning to the reservoir I went to the Sailing Club Bay, which can also be good for both Wheatear and Whinchat but there was no sign of either today.  There was a single Blackcap close to where I parked and a Whitethroat in the scrub on the golf course and three Swallows and three House Martins flew over.


House Martin at the Sailing Club Bay


Dunnock at the Sailing Club Bay

On reaching the Egleton Reserve I had a quick word with Tim who informed me of a Grasshopper Warbler on the reserve but in an area not accessible.  He gave me permission to go and have a look and I heard it on several occasions but failed to see it.  There was also Sedge Warbler and Whitethroat in the same area.

Having returned to the car park I walked to Shelduck hide on lagoon five and looked back onto lagoon seven but there was no sign of the Grey Plover.  From Shelduck hide there was three pair of Avocet on the islands on lagoon five, one of which may well have been sitting.  Moving on I called at both pintail and tern hide on lagoon six where there were a couple of Oystercatcher and three Shelduck but nothing else of note.  I continued on to fieldfare hide but there was no sign of the Great Northern Diver today but a Cuckoo was calling frequently from Brown’s Island and eventually if flew from there to the poplars just outside the hide.  It started to call again but was hidden amongst the foliage and couldn’t be seen.

I made my way back towards the centre and called briefly at snipe hide where there two Avocet, which were probably two of the birds seen earlier on lagoon five and there was a distant Osprey towards the north arm.


Willow Warbler close to snipe hide

After some lunch I went to the northern side of the reserve and was informed on route that there was a pair of Garganey on lagoon three.  On entering the hide they had disappeared behind the reed island but it wasn’t too long before they reappeared and provided some nice views before going behind the island again.  From bittern hide I could hear a Reed Warbler again but as previously it remained hidden.  Quick visits to lapwing and smew hides produced very little, just a few Common Terns over south arm three.


Mistle Thrush in the Egleton Meadows


Comma in the Egleton Meadows


Grey Heron on lagoon three


Barnacle Goose on lagoon three


Coot on lagoon two

From plover hide on lagoon four I had seen two Oystercatcher, five Ringed Plover and six Dunlin when I saw a party of birds drop in close to dunlin hide and I was pretty certain that they were Black-tailed Godwits.  I left plover hide and headed towards dunlin hide but was delayed by a singing Garden Warbler, which failed to appear.  This area of scrub between the two lagoons if very good for warblers, with a single Cetti’s, several Sedge Warbler and at least single Willow Warbler, Blackcap and Whitethroat as well as Reed Bunting. 

On arriving in dunlin hide my initial identification of the incoming birds was correct as there were forty-six Black-tailed Godwits just beyond island seven.  They appeared restless and on several occasions flew onto the grass bank before returning to the lagoon.  A Carrion Crow flew amongst them and they quickly took to flight and looked as though they were off.  Four broke away from the main party and returned to the lagoon but the other forty-two gained further height as they headed off to the northwest.




Black-tailed Godwits over lagoon four

A single Curlew was present on the lagoon for a while and I also found a Little Ringed Plover and a sixth Ringed Plover.

It had been quite warm today and the latter part of the afternoon was very pleasant with some warm sunshine and virtually no wind and I had also recorded eighty-three species of bird.  The Wheatear at Luffenham and the Garganey and the flock of Black-tailed Godwits were clearly the highlights.

No comments:

Post a Comment