Sunday 20 April 2014

A day’s birding in Leicestershire & Rutland - April 19, 2014

It was cold and overcast today and there had been a slight frost overnight.  I decided to go to Great Easton in east Leicestershire first as it is a good sight for Cuckoo.  On the journey over I saw two Buzzards, one near Newton Harcourt and the other near Stonton Wyville and the Little Owl obliged near Slawston where I also saw a Tree Sparrow.

On arrival there was a Buzzard flying off to the north.  I walked along the footpath, which was an old railway track, to the west which goes along one edge of the plantation, that reminds me of a miniature Lakenheath Fen and is a pretty unique habitat in Leicestershire.   There were plenty of Willow Warblers singing but few other migrants were in evidence.  As I continued along the path two Willow Tits appeared briefly in the hedgerow but for long enough to identify them. It was just after this that I realised that I had left my phone in the car and decided to go back and get it.  As I approached the end of the more dense woodland a Cuckoo called but only the once and I didn’t manage to see it.  Having collected my phone I retraced my steps and continued to the end of the first section of path before walking back.  I had at least three Chiffchaffs, nine Willow Warblers and a single Blackcap.  On getting back to the car I heard the Cuckoo again but again it only called the once and then went quiet.  As I stood talking to a guy walking his dogs I heard my first Whitethroat of the year but like the Cuckoo I couldn’t locate it.  Before I left I walked down a side track to some barns and found a Barn Owl roosting in a box and heard the Cuckoo for a third time but with the same result.

Having had two new birds for the year but failing to see either I moved off to Eyebrook Reservoir.  I stopped at the first viewing area seeing quite a few hirundine over the water, mainly Sand Martin but with a few Swallows.  A Snipe also got up off the island flying to the other side a dropping out of sight.  There were a couple of Willow Warblers singing by the bridge and the small area of mud at the inlet produced a single White Wagtail but no waders.  Again there were plenty of hirundine and again mainly Sand Martins and a few Swallows but there were also at least three House Martins.  There were two Common Terns resting on one of the new nesting platforms.

I moved onto the north arm at Rutland Water where it felt bitterly cold in the brisk northeast wind.  The female Red-breasted Merganser was in the fishponds but there was very little else and so I moved onto the reserve.


I walked to snipe hide on the wet meadow first where there were two Avocets and a three Black-tailed Godwits on the flash.  A Barnacle Goose was feeding amongst a group of Canada Geese and single Curlew was visible on the lagoon one meadow.  There were six Common Terns over lagoon one and a Red Kite passed over just in front of the hide, causing some disturbance but everything soon returned.


Female Pheasant at the Egleton feeding station


Red Kite over the wet meadow


Black-tailed Godwit alighting on the wet meadow

Roger joined me in the hide and shortly afterwards we decided to go as far as fieldfare hide to see if the Great Northern Diver was still in the same area as yesterday.  As we walked towards fieldfare hide we had several Chiffchaff, Willow Warbler and Sedge Warbler between the two hides.  I found the Great Northern Diver almost immediately and today it was close enough to be able to see the extent of its summer plumage.  There were plenty of white spots on the back and the head and neck were much darker and the pattern on the side of the neck was visible, although its head was still rather greyish.  After watching it for a while it started to move off towards gadwall hide and so we started to make our way back to the centre.  We called at tern and pintail hides on lagoon five but other than a couple of Shelduck and a pair of Oystercatcher there was little else.  We continued on towards the 360° hide and saw the female Osprey on the nest on Manton Bay and another Oystercatcher on lagoon eight.  From the 360 there were three Oystercatchers, two Avocet, two Little Ringed Plover, a Ringed Plover and a Redshank.


Oystercatcher on lagoon six

After some lunch we set off to dunlin hide on lagoon four and found our first Greenshank of the year, two Oystercatcher, a Little Ringed Plover, two Ringed Plover and four Dunlin.  Lagoon three produced out first Wigeon, Pochard and Little Egret of the day but there was nothing unusual.  A visit to sandpiper hide on lagoon four produced another Little Egret, twelve Common Terns and two White Wagtails and two Osprey and a Raven over Burley Wood.

I walked back with Roger to the centre who departed and I went into the centre to view lagoon one where there was a further Osprey observed flying over the poplars.

I decided to call at Eyebrook Reservoir on the way home and drove around to the viewing area on the west bank.  As I set my scope up to view the area of visible mud I heard the familiar call of a Whooper Swan and found it quite close to the viewing area.  A nearby Mute Swan seemed to take a dislike to it and repeatedly approached it in an aggressive manner and eventually the Whooper flew off to the west and did not appear to come back.  There were still a few hirundies present and there were now ten Shelduck but there was nothing else of note and I set off for home.




Whooper Swan

A Red Kite was seen near Blaston as I drove home but I saw nothing else of note.

No comments:

Post a Comment