Thursday 3 April 2014

A day’s birding in Leicestershire & Rutland - April 1, 2014

I went to Eyebrook Reservoir first today as there had been five Black-necked Grebes and a Little Gull present yesterday.  A Little Owl was observed near Slawston on route but nothing else of note was seen.

At Eyebrook Reservoir there was no sign of the grebes or the Little Gull and a single Dunlin and five Shelduck were the only birds of note.


I moved onto Normanton at Rutland Water but the only bird of note was a singing Chiffchaff.  The dam produced absolutely nothing being very quiet but from Barnsdale I did see the female Long-tailed Duck and the Great Northern Diver. On reaching the Egleton Reserve I checked out the feeding area where there was a Bank Vole below the left hand feeders.  I then walked towards Lax Hill seeing several Chiffchaffs and a single male Blackcap before reaching snipe hide.  From snipe hide on the wet meadow there was a single Green Sandpiper and two Redshanks on the flash and Little Egret was observed feeding on the wet meadow and a single Oystercatcher flew in and circa forty Sand Martins were visible over lagoon two.  A single drake Red-crested Pochard from harrier hide was worthy of note and I saw a Chiffchaff, Blackcap and two male and a female Bullfinch in the hand near fieldfare.  There was also at least three Willow Warblers singing between harrier and fieldfare hides and I managed brief views of one.



Bank Vole


Chiffchaff

I walked back to tern hide on lagoon six where there were a couple of Shelduck and a pair of Oystercatcher.  I saw the Manton Bay Osprey from the footpath leading to kingfisher hide and then went to Shelduck hide on lagoon six.  There were three Oystercatcher and several Shelduck on the lagoon but little else and the 360° produced nothing else.  Whilst I was in the 360 hide Steve called to say there was Sandwich and Common Terns at Eyebrook Reservoir, so I returned to the car park.  Before setting off I checked with Steve that they were still there and the Common Tern had flown but the Sandwich Tern looked settled.  Pat and I therefore drove the short distance to Eyebrook Reservoir but both had disappeared when we arrived.  Andy Mackay was on the southern back and he called me to say that he had the tern flying high to the north.  Pat and I were unable to pick it up and after some lunch we returned to Rutland Water.




Lapwing on lagoon six

On getting back to Rutland Water I went to the centre and Pat went off towards fieldfare to look for the Willow Warblers.  There were eleven Curlew on the long island but there was no sign of the long staying Black-tailed Godwit, which was probably out of sights on the far side.  A tweet from Andy arrived indicating that there was a Sandwich Tern on the island at Eyebrook Reservoir so I went back again only to arrive a couple of minutes after it had flown off high to the south.  Had the early bird returned or was this a second is something we will never know.

I decided to spend the rest of the afternoon at Eyebrook Reservoir but there were no further sightings of any terns.  A Red Kite flew directly over the island and a couple of Sand Martins were observed passing through at the northern end.  From the bridge a couple of Snipe, an Osprey fishing and two Treecreeper were observed.  There were also numerous small fish in the stream, presumed to be roach and a grass snake was observed swimming across the stream.  A Chiffchaff and Willow Warbler were heard frequently but neither was observed during my stay and I eventually called it a day.



Red Kite

No comments:

Post a Comment