Wednesday 30 April 2014

A day at Rutland Water, Rutland - April 29, 2014

This was my normal Tuesday visit to Rutland Water and as Dave thought he heard a Bittern boom yesterday I decided to make an early start in the hope it might call again.

As I made my way to Rutland Water the fog seemed to get worse although on arrival it wasn’t too bad and after parking I made my way to bittern hide on lagoon three.

I had seen or heard quite a few warblers as I walked to the hide and a Whimbrel flew over and headed off west.  It was a little cool in the hide as the light breeze was blowing in through the flaps and despite close on two hours in the hide sadly there was booming Bittern.  I did see a couple of Reed Warblers and there appeared to be a few more calling today and the male Marsh Harrier was still present.  I eventually moved on to plover hide on lagoon four where I located a single Dunlin and a couple of Ringed Plovers but nothing else, except a gathering of Common Terns. 

Walking back in the direction of the centre I called at shoveler hide on lagoon three where I located the pair of Garganey that were still playing hide and seek amongst the vegetation and I had further views of the male Marsh Harrier.


Female Pochard on lagoon three


Male Pochard on lagoon three


Adult summer Black-headed Gull on lagoon three

I was expecting Ken to arrive around 10:00 and so I started to make my way back to the centre and called at sandpiper hide on lagoon four on route.  I had just opened the flap when a wader flashed by and landed on the bund to the right.  My first impression was that it was a Common Sandpiper, which I was able to confirm as it flew again and landed on the bund towards lagoon three.  This was my first of the year and to date they appear to have been pretty scarce.

I walked the short distance to osprey hide on lagoon two having nice views of a Chiffchaff and briefer but still quite good views of a Garden Warbler before I entered the hide.  There appeared to be nothing special on the lagoon but the colony of Black-headed Gull got quite agitated at one point but I could see no reason and they all settled down quite quickly.  A few minutes later I caught site of a harrier being pursued by a Carrion Crow but it disappeared behind some trees before I got a good look.  I rushed out of the hide and had further views as it headed towards lagoon three but lost it as it dropped lower.  I went back to shoveler hide on lagoon three but another birder in the hide and hadn’t seen anything.  I was pretty sure that it was a Marsh Harrier but other than the male no sign of anything else and I presumed that it might well have been the male.  There was now a Black Tern feeding over the lagoon and the Garganey were now towards bittern hide and on open water.

On walking back to the centre I heard a Whimbrel calling but was unable to locate it and on reaching the centre found a couple of Oystercatcher and a Redshank.  Ken then called and I joined him in the car park and had a coffee before we set off towards snipe hide on the wet meadow.  Again there were quite a few warblers and we saw a Willow Warbler in the woodland and a nice Sedge Warbler but a Lesser Whitethroat refused to show itself.  As we approached snipe hide a Blackcap was singing and as we attempted to see it two Whitethroats gave brief views whilst the Blackcap remained elusive.  Two Little Ringed Plovers, with one displaying, were over lagoon six.  On reaching snipe hide there were three Avocets on the flash and a Little Egret was feeding nearby before a Redshank joined the Avocets on the flash.
We continued on towards harrier hide having further views of Sedge Warblers and a single Chiffchaff.  An area close to harrier hide had been cleared to allow cattle into the field and we were able to have views of an area of scrub, which produced another Whitethroat but a close Sedge Warbler failed to show.  There was very little from harrier hide and so we walked further onto fieldfare hide but again there was little.  As we walked back up the track Lloyd and his mentor were ringing and we had some nice views of a male Blackcap, Garden Warbler, Sedge Warbler and Dunnock before they were released.

We called at both tern and pintail hides on lagoon six where there three Redshank and a Little Ringed Plover with three Oystercatchers flying over.

Lagoon eight was viewed from the path and we found another two Oystercatcher on one of the islands but very little else.  From the 360° hide on lagoon five we found two Avocets and a couple of Common Terns and there were plenty of Sand Martin taking advantage of their new home.  Our only Red Kite of the day was observed over the fields beyond lagoon six.  It was now after 13:00 and so we returned to the car park for lunch.

After lunch we went to shoveler hide on lagoon three but there was no sign of either the Garganey or the male Marsh Harrier.  A Buzzard, the first of the day, drifted over the tops of the trees along the northern edge of the lagoon and two Avocets flew in and suddenly the pair of Garganey appeared not too far away from the hide.  I suspect that the Avocets had flushed them as they came in and they then spent quite some time preening before suddenly disappearing again.  I eventually found them on the nearest island trying their best to hide as they continued to preen.


Drake Garganey on lagoon three


Female Garganey on lagoon three


Drake Garganey on lagoon three


Little Egret on lagoon three

With still no sign of the harrier we moved off to plover hide where we found two Oystercatcher, a Little Ringed Plover, six Ringed Plover, four Dunlin and a Bar-tailed Godwit.  There was also three Black Terns resting on one of the islands with a group of Common Terns.  The Black Terns eventually flew off towards lagoon three and we moved to bittern hide but we could only find one feeding over the lagoon and there was still no sign of the harrier.


Lapwing over lagoon four


Lapwing over lagoon four


Lapwing over lagoon four


Black Tern over lagoon four


Sedge Warbler close to lagoon three

When we got back to the centre Lloyd indicated that he had been watching a Marsh Harrier but it had gone down between the centre and snipe hide.  Initially we had a look from the centre but all I saw were two Curlews and as it was about closing time Ken and I walked to mallard hide hoping for views of the harrier.

There was still no sign of the harrier but I did find a Bar-tailed Godwit on the long island, which was presumably the one seen earlier on lagoon four.  Ken then saw the Marsh Harrier and it had come from the left and was now right in front of the hide but it soon turned and headed off towards lagoon two.  It passed over lagoon two and continued towards lagoon three and I lost it from view.  Whilst trying to find it again I picked up on a Hobby hawking around redshank hide on lagoon two and we were able to watch it for several minutes before it too, disappeared.


Whilst migration still appears to be slow it had been quite a good day, despite not hearing the bittern early this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment