Monday 14 April 2014

A day’s birding in Leicestershire & Rutland - April 10, 2014

I went straight to the Egleton Reserve at Rutland Water and walked to lagoon four where there had been a Spotted Redshank and Greenshank yesterday.  It felt quite cold walking down to the hide and there was little bird song, particularly in the copse behind lagoon two, which was almost silent.  Tim joined me briefly in sandpiper hide on lagoon four but all we could find was six Ringed Plovers, four Dunlin, two Curlew and three Redshanks on the lagoon and a distant Red Kite towards Oakham.  There were three White Wagtails and a pair of Egyptian Geese with two small young but most of yesterday’s birds appeared to have gone.  Tim left and I eventually moved to plover hide but found nothing new although the Egyptian Goose with nine young, was brooding them on the bank and a Cetti’s Warbler was calling close to bittern hide.  I went to shoveler hide on lagoon three where three Common Terns flew over and headed towards south arm three.


Little Grebe on lagoon three


Greylag Geese over lagoon three


Drake Wigeon on lagoon three


Drake Shoveler on lagoon three


Adult summer Black-headed Gull over lagoon three


Lagoon three looking towards bittern hide

I walked back to the centre where I saw Stuart and Frank and after a brief chat I moved onto to snipe hide on the wet meadow.  There was more song now and on the wet meadow flash there were two Curlew and a Redshank along with a couple of Shelduck.  There was a lot of Sand Martins over lagoon one and I managed to find three Swallows amongst them.


Chiffchaff from the footpath to snipe hide



European Hare from snipe hide

Continuing on to Lax Hill I saw several Chiffchaff and a single Willow Warbler and heard more as well as several Blackcaps.  There were two Shelduck, two Oystercatchers and a couple of Curlew from goldeneye hide but there was no sign of the Great Northern Diver and so I moved to robin hide, where there is a feeding station.  The feeders were almost empty but there were some birds coming and going.  There were a few Chaffinch and Blue Tits and I then found a nice female Brambling in the bushes, although it didn’t actually visit the feeders but a male Great Spotted Woodpecker did but appeared rather nervous.  A Red Kite and Osprey were also observed above the wood.


Great Spotted Woodpecker


Chiffchaff


Female Brambling
Roger called asking what I had seen and I met him as I walked back to the centre and after a brief chat he continued to Lax Hill and I went to pintail hide on lagoon six and then onto Shelduck hide on lagoon five.  There was nothing new on lagoon six and I saw nothing of note on lagoon eight as I walked by.  A couple of Shelduck were on lagoon seven and two more on lagoon six as were a two Oystercatcher and a Buzzard was observed just to the west of the lagoons.  I saw two Black-tailed Godwits drop in from Shelduck hide and decided to check the wet meadow again.  The Redshank was still present on the flash as were the two Black-tailed Godwits but there was nothing else of note and I returned to the car park for lunch.


Black-tailed Godwit

Whilst having lunch, Terry, who I had seen earlier, informed me that he had seen three Little Ringed Plovers, fourteen Dunlin, Yellow Wagtail and twelve White Wagtails on lagoon four, which more than I had seen earlier indicating that some birds may have arrived.

Ken had now arrived and he, Rick and I walked to dunlin hide on lagoon four where Roger joined us.  There were now twenty-two Dunlin present and we did find two Little Ringed Plovers, a Green Sandpiper and at least two White Wagtails but there was no sign of the Yellow Wagtail and from plover hide we saw the same species.  There were two Little Egrets now feeding on lagoon three and we had further views of the Common Terns seen earlier and a Buzzard was observed over the northeast corner of the lagoon.


Female Tufted Duck on lagoon four


MaleTufted Duck on lagoon four


Little Grebe on lagoon three




Little Egret on lagoon three

A walk back to the centre produced nothing of note and there was little else on lagoon one and so I decided I would call at Eyebrook Reservoir on route home.


Female Pheasant on lagoon one

One of the Little Owls was sitting in the old oak as I approached the reservoir and as I got out of the car a Lesser Whitethroat burst into song.  I heard it on at least another five occasions but it eventually went quiet and I failed to see it.  It was however my earliest ever record of this species and probably the first for the counties this year.  From the first viewing area I could see four Shelduck and there was a single Little Ringed Plover on the small area of exposed mud.  There was also circa fifty Sand Martins over the water and at least three Swallows and a single House Martin amongst them.  At the southern end I found another two Shelduck and a single Oystercatcher but with little else I finally headed off home.

No comments:

Post a Comment