Friday 29 March 2013

Rutland Water, Rutland - March 16, 2013


I went to Rutland Water today and stayed on the Egleton Reserve in an attempt to get out of the wind.
I had seen a single Buzzard near Tugby and a Red Kite near East Norton and two Raven flew over the top of Wardley Hill.

At Rutland Water I walked along the service road to the feeding station where I had twelve Tree Sparrows and two female Brambling.  There was also a single Fieldfare and circa thirty Redwing in the meadows and a flushed a Little Egret from ne of the ditches.


Egyptain Goose in the Egleton Meadows


Greylag Goose over the Egleton Meadows

From Dunlin hide on lagoon four was ten Curlew but other than ten Shelduck there was little else of note.  I continued towards lagoon three but decided to give shoveler hide a miss due to the biting wind and instead went on to buzzard hide.  There were clearly fewer wildfowl on the lagoon today although I did have a brief view of a red-headed Smew as it swam out of sight.  Smew hide on lagoon two produced a male and female Goosander but little else of note.  I then went to plover hide on lagoon four but there was nothing new or anything close to the hide.  A brief visit to osprey hide on lagoon two again failed to produce anything of note.



Curlew on lagoon four



Curlew over lagoon four

As I walked back towards the centre a party of finches flew over and settled briefly in the alders alongside the path. All of those I managed to identify were Siskin and there must have been about thirty.


Female Tufted Duck on lagoon two


Male Tufted Duck on lagoon two


Jackdaw in the Egleton car park

After some lunch I set off to 360° overlooking lagoon five where there were very view birds and nothing of note.


Great Crested Grebe on lagoon five

I continued on to heron hide in Heron Bay where I could see an Osprey on the nest in Manton Bay but otherwise it was rather quiet.  A visit to the nearby kingfisher hide on lagoon eight produced two Ringed Plovers and two Oystercatchers.


Great Crested Grebe in Heron Bay


Pair of Wigeon in Heron Bay


Oystercatcher over lagoon eight

I began walking back to the centre planning to call at pintail, harrier and snipe hides.  From pintail hide on lagoon five there were another two Oystercatcher and two more Shelduck.  Harrier hide produced virtually nothing and from snipe hide I saw my second Little Egret of the day, a Red Kite over mallard hide and a pair of Pintail on the small flash.


Barnacle Goose on Lax Hill


Drake Wigeon on the wet meadow

It had been a rather quiet day as many of the winter visitors have left and due to the bitterly cold weather summer migrants are non-existent.






No comments:

Post a Comment