Friday 15 March 2013

A day’s birding in Leicestershire & Rutland - March 14, 2013


I went to Eye Brook Reservoir first today to find the reserve full again and there was little at the shallow end, the best being two Shelduck and a single Little Owl in the old oak.

At Rutland Water I went to the dam in the hope of finding the diver but had no joy, although I did find two adult Kittiwakes, which is quite a good bird for the counties.  There was also three Red Kites performing rather well and I suspect that they were a pair and an intruder as tow of them locked talons and fell all the way to ground before releasing.  One was then repeated harassed by the other, although all three were still present when I left.


Red Kite near the dam at Rutland Water

From the dam I drove straight to the north arm and the end of the Reserve Manager’s road.  There was no sign of the Slavonian or Black-necked Grebes but I did locate the female Red-breasted Merganser.  There were plenty of Buzzards and I saw at least twelve with three Red Kites also being seen.  There were nine Dunlin and three Ringed Plovers on the north shore, although they were very flighty and two pairs of Oystercatcher were also observed.


Cormorant over the north arm at Rutland Water


Buzzard over the north arm at Rutland Water


Pied Wagtail in the north arm at Rutland Water

On the reserve I walked to lapwing hide calling at both smew and crake hides on route but saw very little, either on route or from any of the hides.  I walked back to shoveler hide where there were two Green Sandpipers quite close and a Little Egret provided excellent views.  I found two drake and three red-headed Smew and a pair of Scaup amongst the rafts of Gadwall and Tufted Duck.  A Black-tailed Godwit, presumably the same as seen on Tuesday appeared and at least six Snipe were observed.  Another observed in the hide then announced that he had a harrier but that it had gone down into the reeds.  A few second later a Bittern appeared in flight where they announced harrier and gone down.  The observed then felt that he had seen the Bittern briefly and misidentified it, which is an easy mistake on a brief view and did get most people onto the Bittern.

A Water Rail also provided some good views and just as some people were thinking of leaving another birder indicated that he had two Bitterns in flight.  These two flew around for quite a while before alighting again in the reeds and they appeared from a different area than where the first had alighted and it was likely we had seen all three of the wintering Bitterns.  Just as I was about to leave two Curlew flew over heading towards lagoon four.


Song Thrush in the Egleton Meadows


Little Egret on lagoon three at Rutland Water


Drake Teal on lagoon three at Rutland Water


Female Teal on lagoon three at Rutland Water


Drake Teal on lagoon three at Rutland Water


Water Rail on lagoon three at Rutland Water


Water Rail on lagoon three at Rutland Water


Water Rail on lagoon three at Rutland Water


Green Sandpiper on lagoon three at Rutland Water

I called at lagoon four where I found a second-winter/third–summer Caspian Gull but there were no sign of the Curlew, although nine were present just before I arrived and thirty were reported later.

I returned to the north arm where I did find the Slavonian and Black-necked Grebes and a single Whooper Swam, which was a good close to the day.  I had recorded eight species today, which is good local total for the counties.



No comments:

Post a Comment