Friday 8 March 2013

An afternoon at Swithland Reservoir, Leicestershire - March 4, 2013


I only visited the north side of the reservoir and almost immediately I had both Peregrines flying around and then perched in the tree at the top of Buddon Wood.  They disappeared twice during the afternoon and were still absent when I left.  A scan of the water produced the female Velvet Scoter and two Shelduck, which are unusual visitors here.  During my stay I had a Tawny Owl calling on a couple of occasions in the waterworks grounds and as I was thinking of leaving a wagtail called as it appeared to drop into the overflow area.  I thought that it was a Grey Wagtail so walked to the overflow area to find a female Grey Wagtail feeding at the edge of the flowing water.  This was my first sighting here since September last year and as I watched the female a male also appeared and began feeding close by.


Goldeneye displaying


Female Goldeneye


Goldeneye displaying


Peregrine

No comments:

Post a Comment