Wednesday 13 March 2013

A day’s in Leicestershire & Rutland - March 12, 2013


I went to Thornton Reservoir first today as there had been a pair of Garganey reported yesterday.  There had been a good frost overnight but it was quite sunny on arrival and remained so during my stay, although it was quite treacherous under foot.  I walked along the eastern edge of the reservoir and on reaching the far end of the arm had not seen the Garganey.  I was looking at the feeders in the wooded area at the end of the arm when Andy Smith arrived informing he had just seen them and had observed me from the opposite bank looking in the wrong direction.  He had apparently disturbed them along the west bank and they had flown a short distance but he thought he knew where they had gone.

I walked back along the eastern shore with him but there was no sign, although we did see a Water Rail and heard a Treecreeper singing, which we eventually saw.  I decided to walk along the opposite bank to see if they had gone back into the reeds but had no joy.  As I returned I stood talking to another birder who was also looking for them when I noticed two birds flying in from the direction I had just walked, they were the Garganey.  Over the next thirty minutes everyone managed to get reasonable views of both birds, although they were often hidden in the reeds.  Eventually they flew off and landed again close to the western edge of the arm and disappeared from view.

It had taken quite some time to find them but it had been worth it as they were my first summer visitor of the year and the earliest I had recorded them on by fifteen days.

From Thornton I drove the short distance to Swithland Reservoir where I soon found the reported eleven Whooper Swans, which were my first for the reservoir.  The female Velvet Scoter and a single Peregrine were also seen and three Little Egrets were observed in trees on the southern basin.

A very brief visit to Cropston Reservoir failed to produce any Mandarin or anything else of note.

I decided to head-off to Rutland Water and after lunch walked to Dickinson’s Bay where I soon found the reported Slavonian and Black-necked Grebes.  It was nice seeing them swimming side by side showing both the structural and plumage differences off rather well.  A single Ringed Plover and two Redshank were all I could find in the north arm and I couldn’t see the fifteen reported Whooper Swans and assumed they must have departed.

After singing in at the centre I had a quick look on lagoon one, which was partially frozen.  There was little of note and fewer birds than normal with seven Shelduck being the highlight.

Lagoon two produced two drake and two red-headed Smew and a single drake Pintail.  I moved onto shoveler hide on lagoon three where I found two more male and three red-headed Smew, a single male Scaup and my first local Black-tailed Godwit of the year and a single Little Egret was roosting on one of the islands. 

Colin Towe then joined me in the hide and informed me that the Whooper Swans were still in the north arm and that he had also seen the female Red-breasted Merganser.  He then said there a Kingfisher but it had gone before he finished his announcement.  I left him on shoveler hide and went to smew hide to see if the Kingfisher was there but it wasn’t but I did have brief views of a nice Barn Owl.  There was also no sign of the Kingfisher from buzzard hide so I walked back towards the centre with the intention of going back to the north arm.  As I approached lagoon one I noticed a lot of swans towards the back of the lagoon and although  some were Whooper Swans many were asleep and could not be specifically identified.  I counted them several times and finally was satisfied that there were twenty-three and whilst doing this others were identified and were all Whoopers.

Having informed Tim Appleton and Steve Lister who was watching them from mallard hide a went to the north arm.  I found the fifteen Whooper Swans as soon as I got out of the car and it was difficult to see how I missed them earlier. There was no sign of the Red-breasted Merganser but I did find three more Ringed Plover and two Dunlin.  On having a final scan I thought the swans had gone and on rescanning found them but it became clear why I probably mist them early today.  Through the bins in the light they were almost invisible with juts a few head contrasting with the grass bank and the rest of the birds being almost invisible.  Clearly it was a trick of the light.

No comments:

Post a Comment