Friday 29 March 2013

Leicester, Leicestershire - March 29, 2013


There had been forty Waxwing reported on Hand Avenue in Leicester and I decided to go and have a look fairly early and also get some fuel from Sainsbury’s.  When I arrived at the site where Roger had seen them yesterday there was no sign.  I therefore decided to go and fill up only to find out that due to a power-cut Sainsbury’s was closed.  I returned to the site but with still no sign I decided to go home.  On getting back home and checking Birdguides I found that twelve had been reported at 07:30 and I must have missed them by minutes.

I decided to give them another go but on arrival there was still no sign and so I went and filled up at Sainsbury's.  I returned to the site but there was still no sign and after driving around a short while I set off for home.  As I turned into Braunstone Way I noticed a party of birds in a tree on the opposite side, but they then dropped away.  I decided to turn around and check them out.  As I came back along Braunstone Way they were back in the tree and I was able to confirm that they were Waxwing.  I again went to Hand Avenue but the eastern side and had good views of forty birds both in the tree and feeding on berries at a low level.
I wished I had taken my camera but this area of Leicester has a reputation and I was afraid I might return without it.  Having said all contact with the residents was courteous at all times and I am certain I would have been OK.  Perhaps they stay over the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment