Sunday 8 July 2012

A morning at Ketton Quarry, Rutland - July 5, 2012


The weather forecast was promising today with some prolonged periods of sunshine predicted.  When I arrived at Ketton it was still rather cloudy but warm so I decided to go to the Yellow Bird’s-nest site first.  I hadn’t walked to far when I saw my first butterfly, a ringlet that was quickly followed by meadow brown and my first marbled white of the year.  The ground was much wetter then when I was last here and it was not easy reaching the Yellow Bird’s-nest plants and when I arrived there was clearly far less than the previous visit and most were at least going over.  I walked back to the car via the Bee Orchids and counted twenty-two spikes with some still in good condition.  There were plenty of butterflies but mainly ringlets, meadow browns and marble whites but I had also seen a few small heaths and a single banded demoiselle and a broad-bodied chaser.  After getting back to the car I continued into the other part of the quarry where there were more ringlets, meadow browns and marbled whites and I did find a single well worn common blue and several large skippers.  When I was in the bottom of the quarry I managed to get some nice photos of several marbled whites feeding on a thistle but most of the butterflies were quite mobile.
As I started to walk back an obviously different butterfly approached a some speed and I recognised it as a Silver-washed Fritillary.  It shot by me and was able to follow it a short distance and then just lost it.  After a few minutes it returned but again it disappeared again and this time without trace.  This was my first for the counties and it is very unusual as they are not seen annually , although they have been seen at this site previously.
A Banded Demoiselle, Broad-bodied Chaser and three Cinnabar moths were also seen.

Marbled White


Marbled White


Marbled White


Marbled White


Yellow Bird's-nest

No comments:

Post a Comment