Tuesday 24 July 2012

A walk along the Grand Union Canal at Newton Harcourt, Leicestershire - July 24, 2012


I went for a walk along the Grand Union Canal towards Kibworth for about a mile and then back.  There is vegetation between the canal and the towpath that can be quite good for insects and I was hoping that the change in weather might have resulted in more butterflies being on the wing.  Initially it was quite encouraging as I had both Comma and Holly Blue within the first 100 meters but butterflies were still not much in evidence although there was clearly more Large Whites on the wing.  There were plenty of White-legged Damselflies and there was as many of sixty mating and laying close to one of the bridges.  I also had a number of both male and female Banded Demoiselle, two Blue-tailed Damselfly, at least five Brown Hawkers and single Emperor Dragonfly and Broad-bodied Chaser.
I located two Spotted Flycatchers in woods on the opposite bank of the canal and had my first Kingfisher since one at Rutland Water on May 24th.

Ferdinandea cuprea


Blue-tailed Damselfly


White-legged Damselflies


White-legged Damselflies

No comments:

Post a Comment