Friday 31 March 2017

A day in Leicestershire & Rutland - March 28, 2017

It was quite foggy when I left home but the forecast was for it to clear by about 09:30 and it wasn’t therefore surprising when I arrived at Eyebrook Reservoir it was still foggy.  As I approached the reservoir I could make out the old oak but as far as I could see there were no Little Owls on view.  I stopped at the inlet bridge and found a Marsh Tit feeding quite avidly on the feeders, which was the first I had seen at the site since August last year.  Whilst at the bridge a Little Egret flew over, two Snipe flew off the edges of the stream and three Tree Sparrows flew over.  When I moved around to the Rutland bank I could just make out the near shore but saw very little and with no sign of the fog clearing I went across country to the Lyndon Reserve at Rutland Water.

I saw a good selection of commoner birds on route with the best being a Buzzard perched at the roadside approaching Seaton and I heard a Chiffchaff near Wing.  A stop at Lyndon Church failed to produce the regular Nuthatch and with little else I continued to the Lyndon Reserve.

It was still foggy when I pulled into the car park and I just viewed the feeders for a while where the best was a single Tree Sparrow.  I had spoken to Steve and he and Terry weren't doing any better in the North Arm and so I decided to go to the Egleton Reserve.

I checked out the meadow alongside the car park and found four Redwing and a Mistle Thrush feeding.  I then went into the viewing area in the centre but Lagoon One was only partially visible and so I started off for Snipe Hide on the Wet Meadow.  I had just reached the end of the woodland after viewing a Chiffchaff, when Steve called to say that there were two winter plumaged Little Gulls in the North Arm and a summer plumaged Black-necked Grebe off Dickinson’s Bay.

As Little Gull was a year-tick I returned to the car park and headed for the North Arm.  The fog was still quite thick but there were four Little Egrets on the edge of the fishponds and when I reached the end of the spit I could see quite a few gulls flying over the water.  Initially I only saw Black-headed Gulls but then a Little Gull appeared out of the fog and I was watching it the second bird appeared.  I checked out the rest of the area that I could see and found three female Goosander at the edge of the fishponds.

The fog had lifted slightly when I set off for Dickinson’s Bay and I saw a Great White Egret as I travelled along the A606 towards Barnsdale.  After parking at the bottom of the road I walked down the road to view the North Arm.  There was very little visible in the North Arm or Dickinson’s Bay but I did eventually find a small grebe swimming further into the arm and assumed that it was possibly the Black-necked Grebe but wasn’t sure and returned to the spit to see if I could relocate it.

I found a summer plumaged grebe on the far shore but couldn’t gat any real colour or see it very well due to the lingering fog.  I then spent more time searching where I had seen a Slavonian Grebe several times recently but eventually gave up and walked back to the car.

As I approached the gate a bird flew over the road and my first impression was that it might be a Blackcap.  On scanning the bushes, I found it still on view and my first impression proved to be correct.  When I got back to the car it was still in the bush but was quite active and I got the camera out hoping for a shot but it then just disappeared and I couldn’t relocate it but did find a Treecreeper.

Gerry then arrived and after a brief look for the Blackcap he went down to the spit and I then decided to join him.  When I reached him he had seen the two Little Gulls and had also found a grebe he thought might be a Red-necked.  A soon found the bird but it didn’t look at all right for a Red-necked and I suspected that it was probably a Slavonian Grebe but the fog and the birds moult state wasn’t making it easy.

As the fog cleared further we agreed that was indeed a moulting Slavonian Grebe.  We then found the other grebe on the far side, which still wasn’t easy in the misty conditions, but the jizz was suggesting that it was probably a second Slavonian Grebe.  Mike had also joined us now and the fog began to lift further and the second grebe started to swim towards and we were soon able to confirm that it was a summer plumaged Slavonian Grebe.

Having finally satisfied ourselves on the identification of the grebes we went to the Egleton Reserve and lunch.  Whist having lunch a Brimstone was found but there was little bird activity.


Brimstone

From the viewing area, there were just two Shelduck of note and I began making my way to the southern lagoons.  I hadn’t gone too far when another birder informed me that there was a working party near Snipe Hide and that he hadn’t seen very much and so I turned around and went to the northern lagoons.


Woodpigeon in the Egleton Meadows

I found Gerry coming out from Redshank Hide and we went into Grebe Hide to view Lagoon Two but found very little, except for about twenty Sand Martins, and we were soon continuing to Sandpiper Hide on Lagoon Four.

As we scanned the lagoon we found sixteen Shelduck, eight Pintail, seven Oystercatchers, five Little Ringed Plovers, thirteen Dunlin, two Curlew and six Redshank.  Terry then called to say that was a pair of Grey Partridge in the large meadow.  Gerry and I came out the hide and being able to see part of the large meadow scanned and there were the two Grey Partridge.  A quickly erected the tripod but when I looked again and they had disappeared.  I called Terry who confirmed that they had flown off into one of the more western meadows and were not now visible.  This species is now extremely irregular at the site and my last sighting was in November 2005 when six were observed in a field where Lagoon Four now is.  Gerry and I went back into the Sandpiper Hide but Gerry left shortly afterwards and I then found a single Ringed Plover on Island Ten.

I met Terry as I was walking down to Lapwing Hide and he informed me that there was a pair of Smew quite close to the hide and a pair of Scaup more distant towards the Old Hall.

Gerry had joined us and he and I continued onto Lapwing Hide while Terry went to look for a Little Ringed Plover on Lagoon Four.  Gerry found the two Scaup quickly but the pair of Smew were clearly not that close.  As I continued scanning I found the red-headed Smew and then the male, which had obviously gone out further after Terry had seen them and they were both back together before we left the hide.

Gerry had started back before me and I bumped into Erik as I made my way to Shoveler Hide on Lagoon Three.  After a brief chat, he went to look for the Grey Partridge and went into Shoveler Hide.  There was a pair of Shelduck on the lagoon and a pair of Oystercatcher were just to the left of the hide.  A Buzzard was observed over the reedbed woodland and a Curlew circled serval times before coming down on one of the islands.


Curlew


Curlew


Curlew


Curlew


First-winter Common Gull over Lagoon Three

I left Shoveler heading for Dunlin Hide to finish the day off observing the gulls and after a brief chat with Steve and Gerry at the bottom of Sandpiper Hide I continued onto Dunlin Hide.  There were far fewer gulls today and I had only seen a single Black-tailed Godwit when Steve came into the hide.  John Wright then joined us asking if we had seen the Peregrine as it went over flushing all the birds but the birds close to Dunlin hadn’t flushed and we hadn’t seen the Peregrine.  A few minutes later I picked up a Peregrine approaching from the north, which did cause some disturbance but it then just continued south.

With many of the gulls flying off I called it an end to the day and got back to the car just before the heavy rain came.

No comments:

Post a Comment