Friday 3 March 2017

A day in Leicestershire & Rutland - March 2, 2017

When I left home this morning there was a strong westerly wind and it was overcast with some heavy rain between home and Eyebrook Reservoir.  There was a Little Egret on the island at Wistow Pool but other than a few Redwing near Slawston, not surprisingly, I didn’t see too much else.

When I arrived at Eyebrook Reservoir the rain had eased and stopped shortly afterwards.  I stopped at the inlet bridge where there was a Red Kite quartering the field to the east and I heard Tree Sparrows but was unable to locate them.  I moved around to the gate overlooking the inlet and saw a Buzzard flying low along a hedgerow as I parked.  The water levels had continued to rise and there was now very little exposed mud and with the rain returning all I saw were three Little Egrets.  Even when the rain stopped it was very unpleasant and with the wind whipping up the water it wasn’t easy birding and I so moved off across country to the Lyndon Reserve at Rutland Water.


When I arrived in the Lyndon car park all I had seen were circa fifty Fieldfare near Seaton.  It was still very windy and I went to view the feeders where I could get some shelter from the wind.  There was quite a bit of activity at the feeders but there was nothing unusual and so I walked the short distance to Teal Hide.

When I opened the end flap to view towards Manton Bay it was uncomfortable with the wind coming directly through the gap but I did find a couple of Great White Egrets in the meadow just beyond Heron Bay.  Opening one of the flaps to view South Arm Three was better but the water was quite choppy making it difficult to pick birds up at any distance.  I found a single Oystercatcher at the base of Lax Hill and on a calm section of water near Lax Hill shore I found a drake Scaup amongst a party of Tufted Duck.

I moved back to view the feeding station again and whilst watching a guy and his dog appeared at the water's edge disturbing the birds close to the shore.  He then disappeared into the small copse and came back with a small log, which he threw into the water for the dog to retrieve.  I then shouted out him and told him it was a nature reserve and that he shouldn’t be there.  He did leave via the gate at the bottom of the field and I expected him to walk back to the public footpath but when he didn’t I went to the main path to Teal Hide.  I found him entering the area on the other side of the path and heading along the shoreline.  I hailed him again and this time he retreated and came back up the path and on having a word with him, he assured me he wouldn’t go into the area in the summer but that he felt he wasn’t doing any harm now.  I explained that he had disturbed a number of birds from feeding and informed him that he shouldn’t approach the shore at any time on the reserve and he then returned to the footpath.  I spent a little longer at the feeding station seeing a couple of Tree Sparrows before I left for the Egleton Reserve.

After parking in the car park and then talking to some of the volunteers, Roger arrived and whilst he was renewing his annual permit and buying some bird food I went to the viewing area to view Lagoon One.  There were twenty Dunlin and two Oystercatchers on the long island and a pair of Stonechat were feeding just in front of the building and another birder then noticed a Chiffchaff feeding in the reeds close to the centre.  When Roger arrived a briefed him on what I had seen and then I found two more Stonechat and counted fourteen Goosander.

Roger and I then set off for Snipe Hide on the Wet Meadow and flushed a couple of Curlew as we approached the hide.  We found the Curlews closer to Lagoon One and eventually found seven, although surprisingly that could quite difficult to see.  There was a pair of Shelduck on both flashes and two Pintail where on the nearer flash one with on the other.  As we continued to scan I picked up a distant Raven that was tumbling to the left of Burley House but other than a single Little Egret on Lagoon One we saw little else and returned to the cars for lunch.

After I had finished my lunch I went to view the meadow and found several Blackbirds, eight Redwing and two Mistle Thrushes feeding in the meadow.


Male Blackbird


Redwing


Redwing


Redwing


Mistle Thrush


Mistle Thrush

After observing and photographing the thrushes Roger and I set off for the northern lagoons and we hadn’t seen very much when we reached Lapwing Hide to view South Arm Three.  Our main target here was the Great Northern Diver but we were unable to find it and had to be content with four pairs of Red-crested Pochards, a Little Egret and a Buzzard.

We made our way back to Shoveler Hide on Lagoon Three where the water level had risen further and there was now virtually no areas for waders.  There were six Shelduck on lagoon and we did eventually find three Snipe on the reed island but with little else we moved onto Plover Hide on Lagoon Four, only to find out shortly after we left a Bittern was observed in flight.

There was a male and a red-headed Smew to the right of the hide and we found two Ringed Plover and two Dunlin on island two and a third Ringed Plover was on island five.  As we scanned the lagoon there was also three Pintail and we had at least three more red-headed Smew and found four Oystercatchers and two Curlew on the western bank.


Drake Smew


Red-headed Smew

We eventually made our way back to the car park seeing a Jay in the large meadow and Great Spotted Woodpecker near Badger Hide.

After a brief discussion, we decided to go to the North Arm, where we were hoping to find both the Slavonian Black-necked Grebes.  When we arrived, we found Chris and Colin having their usual cup of tea as they had already looked for the grebes and found a Slavonian and two Black-necked Grebes.  After a chat, we continued down to the point and I found the Slavonian Grebe almost immediately and then Roger located the two Barnacle Geese on the north shore.  As we continued looking for the Black-necked Grebes I found three Redshanks on the south shore and a Dunlin on the north shore and there were two pairs of Oystercatchers also on the north shore.  The Black-necked Grebes were being difficult to find and I was beginning to think we might not see them when I found one quite close to the road down to Dickinson’s Bay and there was a second close by.

With the grebes in the bag we still had time to go to the Old Hall and look for the Red-necked Grebe.  When we arrived, the light wasn’t great looking west but the grebe wasn’t visible and so we walked to the other side of the Old Hall to view the eastern bay.  We hadn’t been scanning long when Roger picked up between us and Hambleton Wood.  With some light remaining we went and had a further look for the Great Northern Diver in South Arm Three but there was still no sign and we called it a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment