Wednesday 29 March 2017

A day in Leicestershire & Rutland - March 21, 2017

When I left home this morning it was bright and sunny with a light westerly wind but it felt rather cold.  I headed for Eyebrook Reservoir but had seen very little by the time I turned onto the northern approach road, where I found both Little Owls in the old oak.


I parked at the inlet but the water was still very high and consequently there was no muddy feeding areas around the edges.  Whilst I was on the bridge Malcolm arrived and we spent a good twenty minutes on the bridge where birds visiting the feeders, including a male Great Spotted Woodpecker and a couple of Tree Sparrows.  We eventually moved around the road towards Stoke Dry but other than a Great White Egret in the inlet we saw very little and left for Rutland Water.


Great Spotted Woodpecker


Great Spotted Woodpecker


Tree Sparrow

We headed for the Lyndon Reserve at Rutland Water as the centre is now open and we would be able to get an update on how many Ospreys had returned.  When we arrived, the centre was still closed and so we walked down to Teal Hide to view the South Arm.  We could see that there were still no Ospreys around the Manton Bay nest but there was a Little Egret and there was another Little Egret on Lax Hill.  As I scanned Lax Hill I found a single Curlew and then surprisingly three Muntjac just to the left of Gadwall Hide.  With little else we went into the centre and established that there were two Ospreys back but neither of the Manton Bay birds.  Malcolm decided that he would visit the airfield, whilst I stayed a little longer viewing the feeding station, where three Tree Sparrows were the best.  A pair of Red-legged Partridge also walked across the meadow, which is a rather unusual sight.

From Lyndon, I drove the short distance to Egleton Reserve and after a chat with Stephen in the centre headed for Snipe Hide on the Wet Meadow.  I heard several and saw a single Chiffchaff before I arrived at the hide and found four Shelduck and a Pintail on the flash.  As I continued to scan the area I found a single female Goosander resting on the long island on Lagoon One and a female Kestrel provided some nice photo opportunities.


Greylag Goose


Egyptian Goose


Female Kestrel


Female Kestrel


Female Kestrel


Pheasant

From Snipe Hide I continued along the footpath to Harrier Hide and found another pair of Shelduck and another Pintail on the Wet Meadow flash.  There were four Curlew feeding amongst the vegetation and Brown’s Island and whilst observing these the wintering Whimbrel emerged from the vegetation.  Malcolm then joined me but other than an Oystercatcher and a single Sand Martin we saw little else and I moved on to Fieldfare Hide, whilst he went back and headed for the northern lagoons.

The wind had now increased considerably and there were circa twenty Sand Martin feeding over the water getting some shelter from Brown’s Island but the hoped-for Blackcap reported yesterday wasn’t seen or heard.

I retraced my steps back towards Harrier Hide but did a circuit of the new lagoons, which weren’t very productive with the highlights being a single Shelduck on Lagoon Eight and a Little Egret, two Oystercatcher and three Redshank on Lagoon Six and five Oystercatchers in flight over Lax Hill.

It was around lunchtime when I got back to the centre and so I went back to the car for a bite to eat before setting off to the northern lagoons.  Ken Chamberlain was returning from the northern lagoons and whilst I was chatting to him Mike Chester was also returning.  Mike hadn’t seen too much but Ken had seen a Little Ringed Plover and a Wheatear on Lagoon Four.  I called Malcolm who had been on four but hadn’t seen anything and I agreed to meet him in Sandpiper Hide on Lagoon Four.  I called at Grebe Hide on the way where there was a winter plumaged Black-tailed Godwit close to the hide.


Black-tailed Godwit

As I approached the gate leading to the northern lagoons I called Malcolm again and suggested we went to Dunlin Hide.  I met him at the bottom of the ramp to Sandpiper Hide and walked the short distance to Dunlin Hide.  We spent quite some time in the hide and found five Oystercatcher, four Ringed Plover, ten Dunlin and three Redshank but there was no sign of the Little Ringed Plover or Wheatear.

Malcolm headed off to Eyebrook Reservoir whilst I headed to Lapwing Hide, calling in Crake Hide on route where there were a pair of Red-crested Pochard.  I had just started to view South Arm Three from Lapwing Hide when Gerry, Steve and Terry arrived and I informed them of the Red-crested Pochard from Crake Hide.  They could see them from the end of Lapwing Hide and Gerry then found two more males and a female towards Brown’s Island and whilst Terry was looking for these he found a pair of Smew.  I was about to leave when Steve found a male and female Scaup and we then found a second female.


Wigeon from Lapwing Hide


Red-crested Pochard from Crake Hide


Male Red-crested Pochard from Lawping Hide

I left the them still looking and went back along the path to Shoveler Hide on Lagoon Three and Gerry joined me shortly afterwards.

There was a Little Egret and three Snipe in the area that had been recently cleared and a couple of Oystercatchers and a Little Grebe to the left of the hide.  I then picked up my first Osprey of the year over the North Arm but Gerry and I struggled to get to ladies onto it.  Steve then joined us but with nothing else of note he said he was off to Dunlin Hide to view the gull roost.  Gerry and I left the hide just behind Steve and we had a Peregrine fly over as we reached the gate to the main track.

Gerry called it a day but I followed Steve into Dunlin Hide and found lots of gulls quite close to the hide.  We didn’t find anything amongst the gulls but Steve found the Wheatear on the western bank, which promptly disappeared but I did eventually see it.  Steve then found a plover he thought was the Little Ringed Plover but it was almost hidden behind the stones on Island Six but we did eventually see sufficient to confirm his suspicions and I left shortly afterwards.


Great Crested Grebe displaying on Lagoon Four


Common Gull over the Wet Meadow

No comments:

Post a Comment