Friday 17 March 2017

A day in Leicestershire & Rutland - March 14, 2017

I set off this morning heading for Church Langton as Malcolm had seen the three Waxwings early yesterday morning.  When I pulled into the car park it was rather dull with a fresh westerly wind and there was no sign of the Waxwings during my short stay and the only bird of note was a single Kestrel.

Eyebrook Reservoir was to be my next site and I saw two Red Kites as I approached Blaston and then a Green Woodpecker in flight as I passed through the village.


I approached the reservoir from the north I found one of the Little Owls on view in the Old Oak as I headed for the bridge over the inlet stream.  The reservoir was still full but there was a Great White Egret and three Little Egrets in the inlet stream.  There was activity around the feeders with the best being a couple of Tree Sparrow and there was a Buzzard soaring over the ridge to the east.  There was plenty of Teal around the inlet with a few Wigeon scattered around but the only wildfowl of note were three Shelduck, a drake Shoveler and seven Goldeneye.

I was soon on my way to Rutland Water and went to the North Arm first as there had been a Red-breasted Merganser present for several days.  There was a male and four female Goosander in the fishponds but as I walked out towards the spit the sun came out, making viewing difficult.  Steve then called and said that he and Terry had seen the Red-necked Grebe near the tower, the Slavonian Grebe towards the fisherman’s car park and two Black-necked Grebes just off Dickinson's Bay.  With the light causing problems looking towards the car park and there being no sign of the Black-necked Grebes, I decided to head to the car park where the light would be better and I might have a chance of seeing the Red-necked Grebe.

After parking I climbed over the gate to view the north arm towards the fishponds and soon found the Slavonian Grebe and on scanning the far shore I picked up the two Black-necked Grebes.  With no sign of the Red-necked Grebe I decided to walk up the road and then along the footpath to get closer to the tower.  I scanned the area from the top of the hill but with still no joy I dropped down to a spit to get a better view of the arm towards Armley Wood.  However, I got the same result seeing very little and certainly not the Red-necked Grebe.

After getting back to the car I went to the Egleton Reserve and after checking the book set off for Snipe Hide on the Wet Meadow.  As I walked to Snipe Hide I heard three Chiffchaffs singing between the centre and the hide but failed to see any of them.  As I opened the flaps in the hide I was greeted by two Avocets that were feeding furiously on the flash and a Great White Egret appeared in the far corner of the flash.  There were also a couple of Shelduck and several Shoveler on the flash and I found a single Pintail and a male and four female Goosander on what is visible of the long island on Lagoon One.  A couple of Oystercatcher flew from behind the hide and lander on the long island on Lagoon One and as I scanned the sky I picked up five Sand Martins but they didn’t appear to stay too long as I couldn’t find them later.


Little Egret on the Wet Meadow


Avocet on the Wet Meadow


Avocets on the Wet Meadow


Great White Egret on the Wet Meadow

I moved onto Harrier Hide where there were two Shelducks and a Pintail on the Wet Meadow flash but there was no sign of the hoped-for Whimbrel or Curlew towards Brown’s Island, although the Whimbrel was there later.  Visits to both Tern and Pintail Hides on Lagoon Six produced just a couple of Oystercatcher and so I moved onto the 360 Hide on Lagoon Five.  As I walked past Lagoon Eight there was a single Shelduck and a Little Egret but little else.

On reaching the 360 Hide on Lagoon Five I found two more Little Egrets and a single Oystercatcher but the best were two pairs of Red-crested Pochard, with the males looking superb and they were close enough to get a few photos.


Drake Red-crested Pochard


Female Red-crested Pochard


Red-crested Pochard


Drake Red-crested Pochard

As I walked back to the centre I saw my first Peacock butterfly of the year and there were two Redwings in the meadow adjacent to the car park.  After lunch, I went to the centre to view Lagoon One and saw the two Avocets flying over and heading north.


With little else new on Lagoon One I headed for the northern lagoons and went to Plover Hide on Lagoon four where I found the two Avocets, along with seven Oystercatchers and a couple of Redshanks.  I then went into Bittern Hide but with noting of note I moved onto Shoveler Hide on Lagoon Three, where the water level is now exceptionally high and all I could find of note was a single Shelduck.


Avocet over Lagoon Four


Drake Shoveler on Lagoon Three


Female Teal on Lagoon Three


Drake Gadwall over Lagoon Three


Adult summer Black-headed Gull over Lagoon Three

Gerry had joined me in Shoveler Hide and had seen a couple of Dunlin and a Curlew on Lagoon Four and so I decided to go to Sandpiper Hide next to get a different view of the lagoon.  I soon found the two Dunlin and Curlew and finished up with six Dunlin and found two Ringed Plovers.  There were twenty-two Shelduck on the lagoon and whilst counting these I found three red-headed Smew, which were my first of the day.  I called Steve as I was hoping Gerry was with him, which he was, and reported what I had seen.  I didn’t add anything new to what Steve and Terry had seen and they had already made Gerry aware and it was only a few minutes later when Gerry arrived.  I pointed out the Smew and Ringed Plovers and a couple of Pintail provided and excellent photo opportunity and just after this Gerry found a superb male Wheatear.  We called Steve to make him aware and he then joined us in the hide but had a nervous wait as the Wheatear had disappeared out of view.  Although it seemed quite some time before I picked up again it then showed quite nicely in the evening sun and was still present when I left the hide and headed back to the car.


Drake Pintail on Lagoon Four


Drake Pintail taking off from Lagoon Four


Drake Pintail in flight over Lagoon Four


Drake Pintail in flight over Lagoon Four


Drake Pintail in flight over Lagoon Four


Red Kite over Lagoon Four


Red Kite over Lagoon Four


Red Kite over Lagoon Four

Yet another great day’s birding with eighty species recorded including my first Wheatear of the year and the Avocets that were a County year-tick.

No comments:

Post a Comment