Friday 10 March 2017

A day in Leicestershire & Rutland - March 7, 2017

The weather forecast for the day was promising with plenty of sunshine, although it was a little overcast when I left home but wasn’t long before the sun broke through.  A Buzzard over Newton Lane just after leaving was the only thing of note before I reached the turning to Eyebrook Reservoir.

One of the Little Owls was perched in the old oak as I approached the reservoir and after parking at the inlet bridge I was hoping that the Bittern might have reappeared.  There was another birder on the bridge who hadn’t seen it and so I walked alongside the woodland looking for it, without any success, although it was seen later both from the road and the inlet coral.  The feeders were also empty but there was a single Tree Sparrow in the bottom of one of the feeders, obviously extracting the final bits of food.


I drove around to the Rutland side and parked in the gateway to view the inlet but with the water still very high there wasn’t a great deal of interest.  A stop a little further along did produce a Shelduck, a Pochard, two Goldeneye and a Little Egret.

I eventually called it a day and continued onto the Egleton Reserve at Rutland Water.  I went to the centre and after a brief chat with Stephen went to Snipe Hide on the Wet Meadow hoping to find the Whimbrel, which David had seen yesterday.

As I approached the hide two Shelduck flew over and there were another two on the flash in front of the hide.  There was also a single Pochard, along with several Wigeon, Gadwall, Teal and Shoveler on the flash and a pair of Pintail dropped in briefly.  I found a couple of female Goosander on the long island on Lagoon One and there were two Buzzards soaring over the Lagoon Three area.  As there was no sign of the Whimbrel or any Curlew I moved onto Harrier Hide.

As I entered Harrier Hide, another birder informed me that he had just seen the Whimbrel amongst several Curlew and pointed out the area the birds were feeding in.  He left me searching for the Whimbrel and I soon found several Curlew but the Whimbrel being smaller was more elusive.  It did eventually wander out into a more open area and provided some reasonable views before disappearing again.  Another two birders then arrived and I relocated the Whimbrel and eventually had seven Curlew, although they were seldom visible at the same time.  Other than seven Shelduck and two Oystercatcher there wasn’t a great deal else and I moved on.


Coot from Harrier Hide


Oystercatcher from Harrier Hide

From Tern Hide on Lagoon Six there were a pair of Shelduck and two more Oystercatchers and whilst in Pintail Hide on the same Lagoon, two more Oystercatcher flew in.


Drake Wigeon over Lagoon Six


Party of Wigeon over Lagoon Six


Party of Wigeon over Lagoon Six


Party of Wigeon over Lagoon Six

I viewed Lagoon Eight on my way to Shelduck Hide on Lagoon Five and found pairs of Shelduck and Oystercatcher.  I went to Shelduck Hide as 360 Hide is still having work completed from the weather bomb, almost two weeks ago.  A Buzzard on the Lagoon Seven bund was possibly one I had seen in flight as I walked down to the hide and there were another two Oystercatchers along with a couple of Redshank on the near island and three pairs of Red-crested Pochard just beyond the first two islands on Lagoon Five.

With little else I made my way back to the centre and viewed Lagoon One, where I had a female Stonechat just in front of the centre but nothing else of note.


Song Thrush along path back to centre


Female Stonechat from the centre


Female Stonechat from the centre

After some lunch, I made my way to the northern lagoons and headed for Plover Hide on Lagoon Four.  I called at Redshank Hide on Lagoon Two following a report of two Dunlin but I couldn’t see them and when the Lapwings flushed there was still no sign and I moved on towards Plover Hide.

As I reached the path to Shoveler Hide a Sand Martin flew over heading north, which was a year-tick and a lucky sighting as I didn’t see it again.  From Plover Hide there were two red-headed Smew in the north-east corner and a male and three red-headed Smew were just to the south of the hide.  There were also twelve Shelducks, eight Pintail, five Oystercatchers and four Curlew scattered around the lagoon.


Red-headed Smew on Island Three on Lagoon Four

I called at Bittern Hide where I heard a Cetti’s Warbler but the hoped-for Snipe weren’t there.  I then continued onto Lapwing Hide where I was hoping I might find the Red-necked Grebe as Steve and Terry had seen it earlier close to Brown’s Island from Teal Hide on the Lyndon Reserve.  There was no sign of the Red-necked Grebe but I did locate another two pairs of Red-crested Pochard but the light was poor and it was difficult identifying birds at long range.

I moved back and went into Shoveler Hide and found the water very high on Lagoon Three and consequently there were far fewer birds.  There was yet another pair of Oystercatcher and a second pair flew over but other than a few Wigeon, Gadwall, Teal, Mallard, Shoveler, Pochard, Tufted Duck and a couple of Goldeneye there was little else.


Drake Shoveler on Lagoon Three

I called at Sandpiper Hide on Lagoon Four and found Erik, who had seen a Ringed Plover and a couple of Dunlin, which were presumably those that had been present on Lagoon Two.  There were all on Island Seven and we eventually found a second Ringed Plover.  Whilst in the hide with Erik we had several Red Kite and Buzzard to the north and there were two Little Egrets on the lagoon.

As we were leaving the hide Steve called to see if I was in the North Arm, as he was trying to establish if a pair of Smew he had seen earlier was in fact different to those on Lagoon Four at present.  I said I was on my way there and would have a look in the fishponds when I got there.

As I pulled of the main road to drop down towards the cottage the first birds I noticed was a male and a red-headed Smew, which would therefore be different to those now on Lagoon Four.  I called Steve and gave him the news and after parking went down to the point to view the North Arm.  I soon located a Slavonian Grebe and then found two Black-necked Grebes just off Dickinson’s Bay.  As I continued scanning I found the second Slavonian Grebe and an Oystercatcher and two Redshanks.


No comments:

Post a Comment