Monday 20 March 2017

A day at Rutland Water, Rutland - March 18, 2017

I set off for Rutland Water this morning planning to meet both David and Roger in the North Arm.  There was a blustery wind and it was overcast when I left home and it remained the same for most of the day with just a few brighter periods.

I hadn’t seen a great deal by the time I reached the unnamed road in the North Arm with just a single Little Egret at Wistow, a Kestrel as I approached Kibworth and a Buzzard over the fishponds as I drove along Church Road.


As I was sorting the gear out I heard and then saw a Treecreeper near Tim’s cottage and there was a Mistle Thrush in the field.  David’s car was parked at the end of the lane and after scanning the fishponds I joined him on the spit and a few minutes later Roger joined us.  David had been there awhile but hadn’t seen too much, mentioning the Barnacle Geese and three Red Kites.  The Barnacle Geese as usual were on the north shore and there were three Little Egrets on the edge of the water in the fishponds.  Red Kites appeared to be particularly active and we saw at least six between Burley and Barnsdale.  We walked to the end of the spit to look for the wintering grebes and whilst scanning found three Oystercatchers but we hadn’t found any of the grebes. The water had been whipped up by the wind and it wasn’t easy finding and identifying birds at any distance and David decided he would move onto the reserve.  However, just as he was about to walk away I found one of the Slavonian Grebes but he soon left, leaving Roger and I still looking.  We didn’t find any more grebes but we did see several Buzzards and two Kestrels over Burley before we also went to the reserve.

We were in the centre talking to the reserve staff when David called to say that a Little Ringed Plover that had been present yesterday was still on Island Six on Lagoon Four and so Roger and I set off for Sandpiper Hide to hopefully see it.  Other than hearing three Chiffchaffs on route we hadn’t seen anything of note when we reached the hide.  We found a party of waders on the end of Island Six, which contained four Ringed Plovers, three Dunlin and the Little Ringed Plover.  There were four Oystercatchers displaying on the western bank with a fifth on one of the islands and there were three Redshanks roosting on the spit to the left of the hide.  I then counted twenty-three Shelduck and eight Pintail and also saw a Little Egret.

David had moved onto Shoveler Hide on Lagoon Three and when we joined him he had seen a couple of Sand Martin, which had flown off towards the centre.  There were two more Oystercatchers on one of the islands but wildfowl numbers were clearly reducing and there wasn’t anything unusual.  David then left for Lapwing Hide and shortly afterwards Roger found a pair of Red-crested Pochard.

As we left the hide we saw David making his way back to the centre and assumed that he hadn’t seen anything from Lapwing Hide and started to make our way back to the car park for lunch.  We were surprised when we got there that David wasn’t there but he appeared a few minutes later having called in Redshank Hide.  He then told us that he had seen pairs of Red-crested Pochard, Scaup and Smew from Lapwing Hide but he hadn’t called us as he assumed we would go there from Shoveler Hide.

Whilst we were having lunch a Buzzard passed over the rookery and was immediately mobbed by several Rooks and I was able to get a few photos.


Rook mobbing Buzzard


Rook mobbing Buzzard


Rook mobbing Buzzard


Rook mobbing Buzzard

After lunch as we were heading for the centre Ken arrived and he joined us in the viewing area.  I had seen a couple of Sand Martins over Lagoon Two, which David saw before they disappeared out of sight and shortly afterwards I picked another up towards South Arm Three and we eventually had six.  Brian, Roger and Rosie then joined us and then Roger found a male and four female Goosander at the back of the lagoon.  There was a Little Egret and two Grey Herons to the right of the hide and Rosie found a Great White Egret on the Wet Meadow.  As we continued to scan a Green Woodpecker flew in front of the viewing area but with nothing else and a shower passing, David left for home, Roger went to Harrier Hide hoping that the Whimbrel might appear, while the rest of us set off to Lapwing Hide.

When we arrived in Lapwing Hide there were two pairs of Red-crested Pochard just in front, which were presumably the pair David had seen and the pair from Lagoon Three Roger and I had seen earlier.  Roger Brett then found the drake and red-headed Smew but after some time with no sign of the Scaup, he Brian and Rosie headed for Shoveler Hide.  Ken and I had been pointing out the Red-crested Pochard and the Smew to some other birders and whilst doing this I found the pair of Scaup.  They were some distance away and with them diving and the choppy water they were easily overlooked.

Having managing to help everyone see the Scaup Ken and I joined Brian, Roger and Rosie in Shoveler Hide but didn’t see a great deal, other than two Snipe, and left for Plover Hide on Lagoon Four.

The wind was blowing into Plover Hide and as there wasn’t much we moved to Sandpiper Hide, where we found five five Ringed Plovers, four Dunlin and five Redshanks.  Ken soon left but I stayed hoping that yesterday’s adult Mediterranean Gull would come in.  I had to get back earlier tonight as I was looking after my youngest granddaughter and with no sign of the Mediterranean Gull I made my way back to the centre.

When I arrived back in the centre there were now circa thirty Sand Martins and Ann said she had also seen a House Martin.  Ricky and I spent quite some time scanning through the flock of martins but could only find Sand Martins and to make matters worse Brian called to say that the Mediterranean Gull had just dropped in front of Dunlin Hide.  I did think about going back but I was beginning to run out of time and decided to call it a day.

It was disappointing missing the Mediterranean Gull but I had recorded seventy-six species with one, Little Ringed Plover, being new for the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment