Saturday 22 August 2015

A morning in Leicestershire & Rutland - August 20, 2015

I had arranged to meet Chris at Rutland Water around 13:00 to check out the Birdfair Lecture theatres in preparation for tomorrow but called at Eyebrook Reservoir and the north arm and lagoon three at Rutland Water before doing so.

I arrived at Eyebrook Reservoir at the southern end after seeing very little on route.  I stopped briefly near the gate to the fishing lodge before moving on to the bay just south of the hide.  Today there was just a single Green Sandpiper in the bay and I couldn’t find anything else between there and the island.  I walked a little further along the road and viewed the hedgerow running away from the reservoir where there were quite a few birds, mainly Linnets but also Blackbirds, Blue Tits and Long-tailed Tits and a single Lesser Whitethroat and Reed Bunting.  As I walked back to the car there was a wader in the bay, which I though looked a bit elegant for a Green Sandpiper and on raising the bins saw that it was a juvenile Wood Sandpiper.  I continued on to the fenced area where I found a few Ruff and a couple of Greenshanks but there appeared to be little else.  The birds were then disturbed and I notched a group of smaller waders flying amongst the Lapwings and when they had landed I was able to see that they were Ringed Plovers and Dunlin and in fact seven of each.  There were four juvenile Common Terns sitting on the posts of the rafts and a fifth flying around and there was a Yellow-legged Gull on the Rutland bank.  I stopped briefly at the bridge where I had a Chiffchaff, Willow Warbler, Treecreeper and Spotted Flycatcher.  Finally I stopped to view the inlet where I counted eleven Ruff but found nothing else.

A Raven flew over the road just beyond Stoke Dry but I had seen nothing else of note before I arrived in the north arm.  There were two Yellow Wagtails on the fence in the field and I saw another four amongst the more numerous Pied Wagtails on the bund.  I also found a single Common Sandpiper on the bund before scanning the north shore.  There were clearly a lot of waders on the north shore and I counted twenty-three Ringed Plovers, sixteen Dunlin and six Ruff.  I continued on to view the south shore where I found another three Ruff.  When I returned there was another birder who had seen ten Ruff on the north shore I scanned the shore and also found ten and so walked back to see if the three were still on the south shore.  I could only find two now making twelve in total but I did also find four Common Sandpipers.  I went back and joined the other birder and saw a couple of Red Kites and three Ospreys over Burley.  As we stood talking the waders all flew across the north arm and the other birder picked out a smaller bird amongst the flock.  They didn’t come back and so I went to have another look along the south shore.  There was no sign of the flock of waders but I did find a female-type Red-crested Pochard and five Little Ringed Plovers.  When I got back the Ringed Plovers and Dunlin were back on the north shore but on scanning that is all we could find and there was no obvious sign of a smaller wader.  Just before I left the other birder picked up a Hobby over Burley and shortly afterwards the waders flew off again and appeared to heading for the reserve.


As I was leaving the north arm I saw Tim and after making him aware he suggested that I should go on to the reserve by the Volunteer’s Training Centre and view lagoon three.  I parked up by the path to Shoveler hide and took my lunch with me to the hide.  When I opened the flap in the hide I could see there were several waders and found the closer birds were juvenile Ruff, which I assumed might be part of the flock from the north arm.  There were also five Green Sandpipers visible and eventually I had eight Ruff and six Green Sandpipers.  As I continued to scan I found an Osprey over the north arm and then noticed another wader that turned out to be the juvenile Wood Sandpiper that had been present for a few days.  I then noticed a Sparrowhawk that was stood on the ground between the fence and the reedbed.  As I continued to watch the Sparrowhawk it suddenly appeared to become interested in something and suddenly ran like a Water Rail into the reeds emerging a couple of meters to the left.  It remained alert on the ground and then suddenly flew to the right and dived into the reeds but again emerged without any prey but this time perched on one of the fence posts.  It eventually flew around the reedbed island causing some disturbance before flying off towards lagoon four.  The disturbance had brought the waders closer and they started feeding quite close to the hide and I was able to get some nice shots of both a Green Sandpiper and the Wood Sandpiper.


Green Sandpiper


Green Sandpiper


Wood Sandpiper


Wood Sandpiper


Wood Sandpiper


Wood Sandpiper


Wood Sandpiper


Wood Sandpiper

I eventually had to leave and headed to the lecture theatres and as I was parking an Osprey flew over.  It had been an excellent morning’s birding with good numbers of waders present at both sites.

No comments:

Post a Comment