Wednesday 19 August 2015

A day in Leicestershire & Rutland - August 18, 2015

With the threat of rain today I arrived in the south arm at Rutland Water at about 08:45 to begin the wildfowl count.  When I started the count it was dry and I was able to complete the south arm before the rain started.  There were plenty of birds but not a great variety with most being Tufted Duck of which I counted 1850, but there were also smaller numbers of Mute Swan, Egyptian Geese, Mallard, Teal and Pochard.  There were thirty-two Little Egrets scattered around the arm from the Old Hall to Goldeneye hide and I counted twenty-eight Common Terns.  I had a brief view of a Black Tern, which flew through the scope whilst I was counting the Tufted Ducks, but I couldn’t relocate it once I finished counting the Tufted Duck.

Having completed the count I drove to Egleton and went into the centre to count lagoon one.  There was a better variety on here with over 300 Coot and good numbers of both Gadwall and Mallard.  There was also three Wigeon, a few Teal, Shoveler and Tufted Duck and I found an eclipse drake Red-crested Pochard and there were twenty-seven Little Grebes, which is a good number for the lagoons.  There was also a single Dunlin on the long island and several more Little Egrets.

Whilst I had been counting the rain started and I was given permission to drive to Snipe and harrier hides to complete the count.  There were only a few birds on the Wet Meadow flash the best being three Shoveler and a single Teal and from harrier larger numbers of Teal were counted.

Whilst at the southern end of the reservoir I visited lagoons five, six, seven and eight but there were very few birds, particularly on six and eight and certainly nothing of note.  I also went into heron hide and saw two of the Manton Bay Ospreys, a Yellow-legged Gull on one of the signs on the Manton Bay bund and three more Common Terns.

After returning to the centre to submit my count figures and seeing the Great White Egret on lagoon one, which hadn’t been present earlier, I had my lunch.  After lunch I returned to the centre as it was still raining but other than a Snipe I saw else nothing new.

As the rain began to easy I set off for lagoon three but it was still raining when I reached the hide and did so all the time I was in the hide.  I was surprised on looking out of the hide, considering the weather, to see an Osprey carrying a fish and heading off towards the south arm.  There were three Green Sandpipers to the right of the hide and a Greenshank flew in but was harassed by a Black-headed Gull and departed towards lagoon two.  The juvenile Wood Sandpiper, present for a few days now, had been seen early morning but not since but it did reappear during my stay and provided some nice if distant views.  Another good bird was a single Swift, which was my first for a few days.  Whilst in the hide I called Steve to see if he had seen anything but was surprised when the phone was answered by someone else.  It turns out someone had found the phone in a hide and returned it to the centre.  I called Terry expecting him to still be with Steve but he had returned home being fed up with the weather but whilst talking to him Steve came into the hide.  Steve had realised he had lost his phone when he thought about calling me and had comeback to look for it being relieved when I confirmed that it had been handed in at the centre.

I eventually moved on to sandpiper hide on lagoon four but saw very little except for a single Common Sandpiper and so I moved on to Dunlin hide to get a different view.  There were plenty of Black-headed and Great Black-backed Gulls to the left of the hide and the number of Lesser Black-backed Gulls was increasing, although there were only six Yellow-legged Gulls present.  I then found five Ringed Plovers resting near island one and noticed more between islands six and nine and on scoping these I counted fourteen along with thirteen Dunlin.  I scanned the gulls again I picked up an adult Little Gull amongst some of the Black-headed Gulls, which was a nice surprise.  Just before leaving I checked the area where the Ringed Plover and Dunlin had been but could only find a few Ringed Plovers and on looking for the Little Gull afterwards that had also disappeared.  Steve and Terry hadn’t seen any Dunlin earlier and presumably they had dropped in and probably left again as the weather improved.

I thought I would check out the north arm before heading off and found three Red-crested Pochard, a Little Ringed Plover, a Ringed Plover and two Yellow-legged Gulls.  One of the Red-crested Pochard was an eclipse male and presumable the same bird I had seen earlier on lagoon one and one of the other two was beginning to get some red on the bill and is presumably a young male.

I had spoke to wife earlier and was surprised to find out there hadn’t been any rain in Leicester but was even more surprised when visiting Eyebrook Reservoir to establish that there had been very little there also and it only a few miles from Rutland Water.  I stopped briefly at the bridge seeing a single Ruff in the stream but went to the fence on the Leicestershire bank as I could see other waders.  There were eleven Ringed Plovers, two Sanderling, twelve Dunlin, eleven Ruff and a Snipe and there was a single Yellow-legged Gull close to the Rutland bank.  I drove to the southern end to check the bay where the Wood Sandpipers had been on Saturday and found four Little Ringed Plovers, a Common Sandpiper and a Green Sandpiper.


Perhaps not one of my best days out but considering the weather there had been a few highlights in Sanderling, Wood Sandpiper, Little Gull and Black Tern.

No comments:

Post a Comment